At 4+ weeks, internal stitches feel on fire. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

At 4+ weeks, internal stitches feel on fire. At 4+ weeks, internal stitches feel on fire.

Unread 12-07-2007, 11:12 AM
At 4+ weeks, internal stitches feel on fire.

I thought I would be well past this, but for some reason it feels like every internal stitch is on fire. It hasn't hurt this much since immediately after surgery. I was frankly surprised at how little it hurt considering all the cutting and suturing and actually thought it hurt far less than the episiotomies I had with childbirths. Today it's like I can suddenly feel every suture that he made in the pelvis, vaginal cuff, etc. Everything feels, raw and sore and like it is pulling and tearing.

My sutures have not dissolved yet, so could this sudden pain be the beginning of that? I just saw my doctor 2 days ago, so I don't see how anything could be wrong.

Anybody else experience this? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2007, 03:16 PM

CAmich

I'm sorry you're suddenly experiencing this.

I don't know if any other ladies will be able to relate but, if it's really bad or you're particularly concerned, then a phone call to your doctor wouldn't go amiss, even though you've only recently had a check-up. Could it possibly be that you've been overdoing it in the last couple of days?

I hope it settles down and you're feeling alot better, very soon. Take care!

Unread 12-08-2007, 05:24 PM

Well the burning has stopped in my pelvis. It's just sore with a lot of pressure today. Unfortunately, the burning has gotten worse in the vaginal area. It looks slightly swollen and red. I've had no fever, no bleeding, no discharge. I do feel lightheaded and like I'm going to pass out at times. Every so often I feel like I'm having heart palpitations. I've just started to feel like I might vomit. I don't think it could be a UTI because I had my urine checked at my appointment 4 days ago. It seems rather late to be any kind of complication like vaginal cuff cellulitis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2007, 07:59 PM

Hi Mich ~

You should call your Dr. It's always better to be safe then sorry.

You know I did have cuff cellulitis and I felt horrrible. I felt a very overwhelming feeling like I was about to get very sick. I also had a fever and chills BUT if you are taking motrin or whatever it can mask the fever. I also felt like my arms weighed 50 lbs each and I could barely lift them much less dry my hair after a shower. I think the big clue for my Dr was that I was succesfully doing that stuff before, so instead of feeling better I started feeling much, much worse. There was also another woman on here who had cellulits who had a foul smelling discharge. I did not have that but I was still bleeding from my sugery. The thing I was thinking was that maybe whether you have discharge or not depends on what side the infection is on?? I had 2 CT scans so I know my infection was in my abdominal cavity. Maybe hers was on the vaginal side of the cuff. Does that make sense? BTW - I just made that up - I have no idea if that really happens or not - Haha! Plus I was not in a tremendous amount of pain and she was. So see the symptoms can vary so much that's why it's good to check with your Doctor. I hope he takes you seriously.

The other thing is I had a yeast infection from all the antibiotics I was on. Your current symptoms could also be from that - again your Dr can help. I took Diflucan 1 pill and then 1 pill 48 hrs later and it's no longer sore down there.

The good news is that my CT on Friday showed improvement in my infection and other than being fatigued I feel SO much better!! And I successfully avoided going back to the castle!! So if you do have this chances are you can beat this at home with some extra rest and antibiotics. I know there are opinions both ways on whether to go back to the castle or not with this condition, but for me personally I would so much rather be at home.

I hope you get some answers and start feeling better soon. I will keep you in my prayers and you know I understand the frustration of a delayed recovery - LOL!!

Starbgirl
Unread 12-09-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAmich
I thought I would be well past this, but for some reason it feels like every internal stitch is on fire. It hasn't hurt this much since immediately after surgery. I was frankly surprised at how little it hurt considering all the cutting and suturing and actually thought it hurt far less than the episiotomies I had with childbirths. Today it's like I can suddenly feel every suture that he made in the pelvis, vaginal cuff, etc. Everything feels, raw and sore and like it is pulling and tearing.

My sutures have not dissolved yet, so could this sudden pain be the beginning of that? I just saw my doctor 2 days ago, so I don't see how anything could be wrong.

Anybody else experience this? Thanks.
CAmich

I am so glad that I found this thread, as I was just about to post something similiar today. Yesterday, I had so much tugging and pulling and burning in my pelvic area and it felt like my stiches were pulling apart. I leaned over the couch and sobbed it hurt that bad. I took meds but it still hurt to move around. I had to call dr and they want to see me in the morning, and told me to go to the ER if it got any worse between sat and monday. I don't know what it is and I never felt that in my earlier days or weeks. I feel worse this week then my first week. The nurse did say that my internal stiches should be dissolved by now and that she thinks I did too much. I don't know how that can be because I really am to tired and worn out to do anything.

Let me know what the DR tells you. I am scared to death of what they are going to do or look at in my visit tomorrow because I wince when I think of them touching my stomach it is so tender right now. The nurse even said the "A" word Adhesions.....I don't even want to think about that right now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register