Hematoma?!? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Hematoma?!?

Earlier tonight after a day of cramps and pain down under I started bleeding. I was laying on the couch just watching t.v. and I felt a gush. So I got up to check it out and I had soaked through a pantyliner, my underpants and onto my jeans!

So I called my doctor and she thinks it could be a hematoma on the vaginal cuff. I am almost 3 wks post op and up until now everything was going great. I was excited even that the discharge was starting to get lighter.

She told me to monitor things and if the bleeding continues or gets worse I should go to the ER, as she will then meet me there (thankfully she is on call this weekend). Either way I am to see her in her office on Monday. This is really freaking me out!!

FYI, I didn't do anything exciting today other than go to Applebee's for lunch with my hubby... but it was go there (5 minutes from home), eat and come back home. Where I planted my fanny back on the couch to watch a movie.

Tell me this isn't abnormal...that there are others other there who have gone through this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Hematoma?!?

Trish:

Thankfully, I didn't go through a hematoma, though I know that others on this site have and who described bleeding similar to what you're having. Hopefully someone will come along who can speak specifically to your experience. Sounds scary and frustrating. I was having really heavy periods before my hyst, so the word "gush" gives me the willies just to think about it. When I had my surgery, my doctor explained several possible complications that could occur -- one being a hematoma (kind of like an internal bruise) and that the blood can eventually make it's way out or sometimes has to be drained.

I had something a bit similar called seroma, which was fluid (mostly clear, but a bit bloody) trapped behind my incision that began to leak and ooze. It lasted (off and on) for a week or two, enough to soak a pad that I wore on the front of my undies up against where the incision was leaking. No fun, but my Dr. assured me it was a common problem.

Hang in there and take it easy. Let us know how things work out. Hopefully you won't have to head off to the ER, but it's nice to know what to do if you need to.

Dawn
Unread 12-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Hematoma?!?

And I can't believe you're wearing jeans so soon after a TAH!! It took me more than 5 weeks before I could tolerate anything but loose elastic waist skirts and pants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Hematoma?!?

i had bright red bleeding with some clots a few weeks after my surgery. it stopped after a few days and it never happened again. your dr will let you know what she thinks on monday...mine said it was leftover blood and shouldnt happen again and he was right.
Unread 12-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Hematoma?!?

I too had a hematoma 3 weeks out, I would of at that time opted to give birth...it was very painful, with some antibiotic and rest, rest, and more rest, i felt better about the 5th week out. heating pads helped, just watch your bleeding and if you feel at all uneasy go to the ER. I waited till Monday to see Dr and I wish i would of went sooner. you can Private message me if you want to talk or have other questions. I know exactly what you are going through.
Unread 12-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Hematoma?!?

I too had a hematoma develop at my incision. A 1 1/2 inch area opened and bled (dark blood) out one week after my surgery on 10/23.

For one week twice a day it had to be packed. I was put on antibiotics.

Doctor's nurse told me it was good that it opened. She said infection could have set in with all that old blood in there.

After one week (11/5) of packing the area my Doctor took me back into surgery for a 15 minute procedure (was not healing on the inside as quickly as he liked) where he inspected the entire incision, removed another clot and put in a JP tube.

Four days later the tube was removed, seven days later the staples were removed.

Everything has healed. I feel great!!!!

TAH/BSO 10/23/07
Unread 12-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Hematoma?!?

I went to urgent care to check my incision 11 days after surgery. The doctor said he thought I had a hematoma and sliced aboiut 5-6" of my incision open and told me it would heal from the inside out.

Imagine our surprise when we went to pack it at home and it was a huge deep hole. We were so scared we rushed off to emergency. Then I went in to see my doctor after the weekend.

Long story short, I have a home health nurse coming to my home one or two times a week to check me and pack it and bring supplies.

It has been a real pain. I would be so much furthur along without an open incision. It's almost two weeks now and healing.
Unread 12-08-2007, 05:50 AM
Hematoma?!?

Wow! You ladies are real troopers!! I would absolutely have died to see an open incision and have to deal with what you have had to deal with!! It seems like I'm still dealing with minor bleeding, although I have been sleeping most of the night. We'll have to wait and see what this day brings once I am up and around again.

LOL! Yes, I was able to get into my jeans probably a week after my surgery. I had lost some weight between surgery 1 and 2 and my jeans are rather loose on me. My swelly belly is mainly up higher above my belly button when it does swell, so it really doesn't interfere much with my jeans. But yesterday was the first day since my 1 wk post op appt that I was out of the house, and didn't want to go eat at the restaurant in my capri sweats that I've been LIVING in!!

Did you ladies have cramping too with your hematoma? I swear this feels like I'm having a period again!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register