Pain meds. making me sick!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain meds. making me sick!!! Pain meds. making me sick!!!

Unread 12-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Pain meds. making me sick!!!

Hello ladies...I am home from the castle...had my TAH on wednesday Dec.5th. I am feeling pretty good to be 2 days post op. I was just wandering if anyone else has had or is having problems finding any foods that taste good. Nothing is tasting good and I can't take my pain meds. without eating first or it makes me sick. I had enough problems wirh my morphine pump making me sick and I am finally on Percocet which works really well.I just can't help from getting sick if I take it on an empty stomach. Thank you ladies for all your prayers and advice over the last few weeks,you have all been a blessing to ...angels sent below to help...Love you all....Faith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2007, 10:06 PM

I found that an apple or some cheese and crackers did the trick for me. I even had some soup once that was well tolerated. It gets easier with time. I hated food when I first got home. Hope you feel better soon!!
Unread 12-08-2007, 05:47 AM

I unfortunatly couldn't take any of those drugs and my first night they just gave me extra strenght tylonol. 2nd day nurse tried percset and I passed out 3 times so after that I said never mind just give me the tylonol. The nurse was great and would give me tylonol and ibuprofin since extra strength tylonol doesnt have anything for swelling init. she told my husband to just by the store brands of each and make sure i take both together for a few days. U
Unfortunatly for me I didn't have a problem eating LOL and have to stop myself.

If your taking those drugs don't forget your stool softner daily as they will constipate you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2007, 05:50 AM

I had problems with the pain meds in the hospital too making me ill. My doctor switched me to Darvocet, which was great. I tended toward a queasy stomach too when I first got home and found that eating some dry toast worked well. I also avoided anything remotely greasy. Hope this helps.
Unread 12-08-2007, 05:58 AM

Hi Faith! I absolutely hated to eat too when I got home from the castle! Plus, I think the pain meds deterred my appetite too. I cannot take anything in the "cet" family...darvocet, percacet, vicodin or even tylenol with codeine in it or I barf instantly, with or without food in my stomach! Call it a medication sensitivity to the extreme! Anyway, my doctor gave me morphine in the hospital and it was great until I drank a bunch of water and then up it came! For my oral meds she then gave me Demerol which is so much easier on the stomach. I can take two 50mg tabs and it doesn't make me queasy at all. Its a prescription though that you have to have a handwritten script for and cannot be called in to the pharmacy! Why, I have no idea! But you should try them...they have really helped me tons!

Oh yeah, and make sure you are taking those stool softeners...they work wonderful when on pain meds!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register