Unable to urinate - left hospital with catheter | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Unable to urinate - left hospital with catheter Unable to urinate - left hospital with catheter

Unread 12-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Unable to urinate - left hospital with catheter

I just got home today from a TAH on 12/5. Ran a fever for 2 days while in the hospital, and I am still not able to urinate. This same problem occurred when I had the sling procedure done to my bladder 7 years ago. That time it took 3 weeks for my bladder to function normally. I chose not to have the catheter removed before leaving the hospital, as the first time it was removed it was very traumatic. I was unable to urinate, and had to wait for nearly 4 hours for it to be put back in. I was in excruciating pain, and did not care to repeat that episode. I will see a urologist later this week to have it removed, I pray I will be able to pee.
The hospital I was in was short-staffed, and I often waited for basic needs. In addition to the catheter nightmare, I waited 3 hours another day for pain meds, and another time my doctor gave permission for a shower, but had to wait 13 hours for someone to wrap my IV. An aide clamped my IV line, said "I'll be right back, and never returned. My nurse came in 45 mins. later, tried to flush the line, but to no avail. It took 3 people until the next morning to finally get a good vein. I missed one whole dose of antibiotics from that episode.

I was wondering if anyone out there has had the same difficulty in urintating. If so, how are you coping?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2007, 01:58 PM

I had my surgery Wednesday a.m. at 7:00. They removed catheter Thursday a.m. 6:30 and put it back in at 12:30. They removed catheter again Friday a.m. 6:30 and put it back in at noon. I was then sent home with the catheter with instructions to go to the doctor on Monday at 1:00. When I went to the doctor they filled my bladder with water, then removed the catheter. I was immediately sent to the bathroom where I peed and they measured it and said I had emptied my bladder so it was good. (I think then the uretha swelled) I was back in the emergency room that night at midnight to have a catheter reinserted. Wednesday at 4:00 I had the catheter removed and only then was I willing to let the doctor show me how to catheritze myself. (Wednesday was the day before thanksgiving and I did not want to be going back to the emergency room) I never had to self catheritize, but it would have been much better than the emergency room.

That week of recovering from surgery and having a catheter seemed so awful, I feel for you. The only good thing was I could drink as much fluid as I wanted before I went to bed, and I never had to get up and pee in the middle of the night!

Make sure they give you a leg bag, that helped a lot. And remember, this too shall pass! Hugs Mary
Unread 12-08-2007, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the encouraging words. This has been very hard and depressing. I think I will feel much better once I can get this catheter out for good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2007, 03:11 PM

When I had my sling surgery in July I was sent home with a catheter and had to wear it over the weekend and went back to the doctor monday where they removed it and filled my bladder and I finally went, but It took about a week before my bladder frlt normal.
Unread 12-08-2007, 04:41 PM

I also had the catheter at home with the leg bag. it wasn't as bad as I thought but still I was happy to be rid of it 8 days later!! My bladder even now at 4+ weeks out still feels kind of funny but I didn't have to get the cath back and if I compare it to 2 weeks ago its heaps better.

Hugs - I've been where you are. I hope you are peeing freely again soon!

Starbgirl
Unread 12-08-2007, 07:36 PM

My surgery was 12/4 and I just came home today (12/8) with my catheter. I have to wear mine for 2 weeks because the doc perforated my bladder while trying to perform the bladder sling. So, my TVH turned into a TAH and I still don't have the bladder sling. The only good new is that the urologist said that the scar tissue from the bladder repair may eliminate the need for a sling at another time. Frankly, after my experience, I'm not planning on having the bladder sling done at another time. I'm pretty much done with "elective" surgery. The good news is that the leg catheter works great during the day & is easy to get around with & to empty. I only have to use the large clunky one at night. Since I have to have the catheter in for so long, I'm a little worried about my bladder functioning properly on its own in the future. Hang in there. This too shall pass.
Unread 12-09-2007, 07:29 AM

I feel your pain and worry, too. I had to deal with those same feelings 7 years ago when I had my sling done. You start thinking "what have I done to myself" and "will I ever get back to normal". I believe that all will be OK in the end. Hang in there!

I wanted to know if you change from the leg bag to the kind that hangs on the side of the bed every night. If so, do you use a fresh bag every time you change from a leg bag to a hanging bag, and back? I am so afaid of getting an infection, I am sure it must not be good to keep swapping bags. But, they only gave me one overnight bag when I left the hospital. A nurse I spoke with last night said they should not be reused as there is too much risk of infection. I feel that I wasn't properly informed and instructed on what to do. This is so depressing; I just want to feel normal again!
Unread 12-09-2007, 07:35 AM

I was given the leg bag and the "overnight" bag, but only 1 of each. The nurse told me I could rinse them out with water and a few drops of bleach. She emphasized only a few drops of bleach because too much could weaken the tubing. I wish you the best. It's nice to know I'm not the only one packing my urine around externally.
Unread 12-09-2007, 07:44 AM

Thanks, I will clean mine the same way. I will see a urologist tomorrow. Hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel, for all of us.
Unread 12-09-2007, 11:21 AM

Let us know how things go for you on your Dr. appt. I am sorry you are having to go through this.
Grace

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register