Vaginal Hysterectomy: TVH - What a rollercoaster ride! (Children mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal Hysterectomy: TVH - What a rollercoaster ride! (Children mentioned) Vaginal Hysterectomy: TVH - What a rollercoaster ride! (Children mentioned)

Unread 12-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Vaginal Hysterectomy: TVH - What a rollercoaster ride! (Children mentioned)

Hello my dear sweet sisters!
I have thought of you all often, and wish those about to go to the Castle, the very best.
The morning I was due to go to the hospital, I called to confirm if I was permitted to have clear liquid until 10am; only to discover there had been two emergency procedures, and mine would be pushed back to much later. Oh joy. I arrived at the Castle, went to reception and finalized the paperwork and the small excess my insurance would not pay, and settled in for a little over an hour before being led into the Day Surgery Unit (where all private patient surgeries are done, regardless of how long you are staying). My hubby was with me, but was not permitted into the DSU, but was told where to take my bags...which just happened to be up in the maternity / nursery area!!! I was upset to say the least, but did not dwell on it, as I wanted to remain calm before surgery...
I had a lovely group of people at various stages of my wait, and eventually was led into theatre at 3pm. The nurse was lovely and all the medico's were laughing and cheerful and really lovely to talk to. There was one fly in the ointment, when I jokingly asked if he had a tic tac, and he said no, and I wouldn't be able to have it, even if he did...lol...I told him I was joking, but poor lad was too serious for his own good. The anesthesiologist was the first to ever get the canula in first go...I was impressed; but I have the most incredible bruise...lol...when it was removed there was a build up of fluid, and boy I have the prettiest hand and wrist you ever did see with it's purples, greens, yellows, etc...
My Dr. arrived just before they gave me the relaxation juice...just as well, I faded fast after that! He must have made a snap decision to change from a LAVH to a TVH, because his sidekick had only been talking to me a few minutes before, and said they were going to start with the laparoscopy and then continue with the vaginal.
Next thing you know, I could hear lovely nurse telling someone that I was too lovely to be going through this, and too young. I guess that must have been in recovery, next thing I remember being in my room, and them vaguely asking if I wanted my curtains drawn, as the sun was streaming in (summer here, and stays very light, till very late.) I recall answering in the affirmative and being vaguely aware as they checked my pad for bloodloss. I did not have packing, and my catheter had been removed in recovery as far as I can gather.
Next thing I recall is about midnight, and needing to go to the toilet...spent a fun night. I had oxygen and that finger monitor thingy and BP machine etc that I kept having to be unhooked from and led to the bathroom. It was great when they finally unhooked me from all that.
They gave me an injection in the stomach during the night to stop blood clots forming in the legs, which was a good thing, as my left leg felt a little weird and had pins and needles in it for a while; but I kept wriggling it when I remembered that I needed to move my legs to keep the circulation flowing nicely. For those freaking at the idea of a needle in the stomach...it didn't hurt...to be honest, I was still groggy, and only just remember the nurse giving it to me.
The most confronting things happend around 1:30 am and 8am...the first time, was when I heard a baby crying, which upset me, and the second was when they had just brought breakfast, and left my door open far enough to look out, and see the nursery with its teddybear borders and teddy mobile! Well I burst into tears, and no matter how much I tried to stop, I couldn't! I wasn't making a noise, just quietly sobbing,...when my dr came in with one of the nurses...neither said anything, but no matter how much I avoided looking at them, or how calm I kept my voice; they couldn't help but know I was upset. This was the first and last time I saw my Dr, because it was his mother's 80th birthday, and he was flying interstate for a few days to be with her; so I was saddled with a Dr who didn't know me from Adam, who made a judgement call on Friday to send me home, despite the congestion in my chest, despite my horrendouse back pain and pain in my lower right quadrant, and despite the fact I was awake every hour on the hour, because of the pain and walked the length and bredth of the hospital trying to get relief...to no avail!
I guess I have rambled quite a bit; perhaps I should get to the point...
Ladies, make sure you know where you are going to be staying, because even those of us who have had children, sometimes find it confronting if put in a maternity section...I am still having issues with it, and burst into tears at the drop of a hat. If it is unavoidable, please make them aware, if you find you can't cope with it.
Try not to panic about how things are going to go...whatever you wake up with, you will deal with. Don't be afraid to ask for medication if you are in pain. I was on strong narcotics and they still were not touching mine. Now, that is not to panic anyone...you will survive...just stay on top of it, as best you can. I had a lovely staff, who would bend over backwards for me, but apparently, I wasn't demanding and remembered my manners, so I was a joy to look after.
Oh, and remember...take it easy. I have had the most incredible support team, looking after me, and yesterday, despite knowing I was naughty, I got washing in off the line when no-one was watching and did far too much walking, and then I had a dinner to go to. Before getting the washing in, or going to the dinner, I was going to the toilet, and felt the most incredible pain 'up there', and when I wiped, it was bright red! It remained bright red, until the early hours of today, so I have spent most of the day in bed, and am now sitting on the lounge suite writing this, as my family are out at a family fun day with my hubby's work. They should be home soon.
Oh, as to BM's, I decided to wait for mine, naturally, but the hospital gave me some Fybogel to use if I decided I needed it. It took me 4 days to have a natural one!
Family are home...sounds like they had fun...oh goody, fairy floss...yummmmmmmm!
As to going to things...I enjoyed seeing people I had not seen in a long time, but paid dearly with pain and tiredness. I am supposed to go to a family dinner tomorrow, but am not going, because I know how bad I will feel afterwards. Unfortunately, I am going to have to endure approximately 4 hours of torture on Thursday evening, because my children have their end of year speech night. Fun and frivolity all the way...half hour travelling each way, and three hours of entertainment and presentations...I am going to be a wreck, but would not miss it for the world. I will have to make sure I get plenty of rest, and keep on top of my pain medication.
Best wishes to you all...whatever happens, I hope this op turns out to be the best choice for you.

Snowflake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register