BM Issues... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-09-2007, 02:18 AM
BM Issues...

I am 31 years old and had LAVH/BSO with removal of cervix due to endometriosis. I had my surgery on December 4th, however I am still having issues with my first BM. I went a little yesterday, sorry if this is TMI, however it was not really productive. How long should I let this go before getting worried about it? I'm eating lots of fruits and vegtables and drinking of plenty of water, however it doesn't seem to be helping much. Each time I get the urge to go, I sit down and can't. How do I relax myself enough to just let it happen?

I'm also concerned as although I am doing a little walking, I feel like I'm not walking enough. The pain is somewhat manageable right now, as long as I take my pain medication on time, however my bed is still my best friend at this point. I live in a house with four levels of stairs, and just making them up to my bedroom on the top floor the first day home was painful enough. Suggestions? How long should I wait before attempting the stairs again?

Anyone else have moments of silliness too? I find myself crying over the silliest things. Last night, I was looking forward to having a shower all day and my DH was going to help me. He came upstairs and told me that there was no hot water. I got upset and then started crying uncontrollably. Oh my goodness, what is wrong with me? This isnt' the first time I've cried since my surgery either, it happened many times at the hospital, and for no reason at all.

Thankfully my DH is understanding and tells me to try and relax and that this too shall pass. I hope so as I'm a blubbering idiot lately. Geesh!!

Help with any of these questions would be grately appreciate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2007, 02:26 AM
BM Issues...

Hi Tiacanuck
I used a product called colace. It's a stool softener. If I remember correctly I had my first bm 1 day after being home from the castle. I was in for 4 days. I guess since I was only taking in soft food and not my regular diet it took awhile to adjust. Good luck on your recovery. Is there anyway to walk around inside your house instead of up and down so many flights? When you get tired, rest! You are recovering from major surgery. Take it easy
Unread 12-09-2007, 02:32 AM
BM Issues...

I had a very similar issue with my bowels. I went eight days with no bowel movement following surgery! I was convinced I had a bowel obstruction. I faithfully took the docelace prescribed by physician, and ate fruits and vegetables at every meal. I was not a happy camper!

Finally, in desperation, I bought a bottle of prune juice and drank the whole bottle. It was like my bowels woke up from a deep sleep. Let's just say, the prune juice remedy was very effective and quick. My disposition improved 100%, and my bowels have worked fine ever since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2007, 02:44 AM
BM Issues...

As for the exercise issue, it is all very confusing. My physician advised me strongly to not lie around, because adhesions could form. However, he also advised me not to overdo it because I could damage my muscles and adhesions could form. When I asked for clarification, he said be "actively sedentary." Huh?!

My advice: Listen to your body! If it is telling you to lie in bed--lie in bed Your body is the ultimate judge of what you should be doing--or not doing. There have been days where I felt great, and did some shopping or housekeeping, and paid for it the next day when I was very sore. You will learn your body's definition of "actively sedentary."

It gets better very day! Promise!
Unread 12-09-2007, 02:44 AM
BM Issue

Hi,
I ran into the BM problem last weekend. I was 5 days out from surgery - was eating regular food from the day after surgery. My bowels moved on their own on day 4 - small amount. By day 5 and 6, I was in agony w/gas pains, cramping - my body wanted to rid the waste, but I couldn't pass anything - it was so painful! I was literally screaming into a towel. I tried the stool softeners, but it was too late for those unfortunately. I didn't get the heads up warning about the pain med's causing constipation. On day 7, my mom helped me by getting an over the counter enema (mineral oil) w/in a few hours of that - the blockage was gone and things have improved greatly since.
Unread 12-09-2007, 07:48 AM
BM Issues...

I had the same problem. I've been taking colace (stool softener) as prescribed, but that alone isn't enough. I finally had a truly productive BM this morning, but in addition to the colace, I'm taking Miralax (you can buy it at any drug store & most grocery stores), eating prunes, drinking fruit smoothies, and eating lots of fiber (oatmeal, whole grain breads, etc.). In addition, it helps to drink LOTS of water & walk as much as your body can tolerate. I really think you need to combine as many of these factors as possible. The colace keeps your stool from being rock hard, but it doesn't stimulate the body to get things moving along. I feel for you - - - literally. Even though I had some good luck this morning, I'm still going to follow this routine for at least a week or so (or until it's clear that my bodily functions are back to normal). Hang in there! I'm sending a HUG your way.
Unread 12-09-2007, 09:20 AM
BM Issues...

Tiacanuck,
Sorry to hear of your problems but I gotta tell you at almost 7 weeks postop Im still taking Colase twice a day and Konsul everyday(Metamuscil type fiber you mix with juice). I thought I could stop the Colese about a week ago and found out the HARD way that I wasnt ready for that yet.
I eat salds and fruit everyday, fruit smoothies, Prunes and dried apricots etc. Anything I can think of to help add fiber and cut carbs and sugars. Also avoiding cheese (one of my favorites and I do still treat myself to Chocolate!) All this has also helped keep off some of the pounds I lost during surgery.

I have a 12 week recovery so I think untill I can get back to my normal activity speed(my work is very physical) things wont get moving properly. I only do what my body lets me for now (Walking is okay but sitting and bending down are my biggest problem.I still keep the steps to a minimum).

Sometimes if I think its going to hurt to go, I do a little finger massage up and down my butt cheeks to keep them relaxed and it seems to help. Hope thats not TMI.

As for the emotions...Youve been through alot! Your body and brain were traumatized and they need some time to get that all out in order to fully recover. Just let it happen and understand its not unusual.

Try to sit back and relax. Enjoy being waited on because its one of the few times in our lives that we can do just that and remember to Pamper The Princess!
Unread 12-09-2007, 09:35 AM
BM Issues...

I had my surgery 12/3 - and my first BM on Friday. I have had one daily since. I normally am VERY constipated. I had a rectocele repair and was scared of "blowing it out". I have been taking colace stool softeners twice a day since home from the "castle", eating yogurt, soups, oatmeal etc... to keep things soft. I did have a piece of pizza last night and it really hurt me. I had what I consider rabbit pellets. I am giong to stick with a high fiber soft food diet for another week. Call your doctor - they will definatley help you.
Unread 12-09-2007, 09:59 AM
BM Issues...

Hi Sharon, we had our surgeries the same day, although I only had 1 ovary removed. I know what you mean about the BM issues - I'm going to be facing that today . I had gone a little bit - very loose - on my first day home, but my doctor told me to use a Dulcolax suppository if I hadn't gone by today. I've been drinking juices and water, eating Raisin Bran and Flax cereal, eating bananas... and I just can't go. I don't really consider the little that I did on Thursday to have been productive enough, so I think I'll be sending DH out for the suppository later this afternoon.

My doctor also told me to be very wary of stairs, so take it easy with them. She was explaining to me about how scar tissue forms and how doing stairs too often can cause the scar tissue to form unevenly - causing extra pain. In fact, we have a long, steep flight of stairs to travel to enter our apartment and she banned me from leaving the apartment until 2 weeks post-op because she didn't want me on the stairs.

The crying is normal, especially after having both ovaries removed. I've felt a bit weepy every now and then, and I still have my right ovary. Are you doing any HRT?

Unread 12-09-2007, 10:02 AM
BM Issues...

The Dulcolax suppository works. They gave me one in the hospital on day 3 because I was so constipated (in spite of taking colace 3 x a day) that eating made me nauseous because everything was so backed up. The trick is to hold the suppository in for as long as you can stand it before you go. The longer it has time to work, the more relief you'll get. However, I still find that I need to eat LOTS of fiber, drink LOTS of water, and take colace and miralax now that I'm home. I definitely don't want to get that constipated again! Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register