craving protein | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

craving protein craving protein

Unread 12-09-2007, 09:21 AM
craving protein

I am almost 7 weeks post-op and it's seems all I'm craving is protein. Is this normal and how long will it last? Has anyone else noticed this and have your taste buds changed since your surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2007, 10:11 AM
craving protein

Yesterday, during one of my naps, I was actually dreaming about food! I was dreaming about having a lovely roasted chicken breast with some mashed potatoes & gravy and some green beans.

Carbs seem to make me nauseous and I seem to only be able to eat sweet things in very small bites. My oldest son brought me a Snickers bar while I was in the hospital (which I saved for once I was home) - I shouldn't be eating candy anyway, because my blood sugar is borderline - but I had to eat a single candy bar in 3 separate sittings! Go figure.
Unread 12-09-2007, 10:17 AM
craving protein

My tastes have definitely changed. When I first got out of the hospital, things tasted different. They no longer taste different but I was a carb addict!! Now, not at all!! It's crazy. I've lost a ton of weight partly I think because I'm not eating all the sugar I used to consume.

Crazy.......

Starbgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2007, 11:17 AM
craving protein

Me too! Isn't it great that we no longer crave sweets! How healthy is that?!
Yay!
Unread 12-09-2007, 11:55 AM
craving protein

I craved cheese and tinned salmon... weird considering I wasn't bothered about either before hand.
I was also a big sweet (candy) eater too and I stopped craving them!

The cravings have subsided now and I'm back to eating normally. Still no sweets though!
Unread 12-09-2007, 03:38 PM
craving protein

That is good that you are craving protein, because the dr just told me yesterday that to heal from this major surgery we need plenty of water and she said protein. All I have been craving is carbs but I normally crave candy.
Unread 12-09-2007, 04:27 PM
craving protein

I'm craving ice cubes! I eat 3-4 trays a day. My Doc said I'm missing something and told me to add a good multivitamin and more fiber to my diet.
Unread 12-09-2007, 05:15 PM
craving protein

It is not surprising that you are craving proteins. Proteins are very important, post-op. They aid in your healing process, so the body is going to naturally crave them. That can take the form or meat, cheese, fish, lentils, tofu, etc.

I have to say that I really never lost my craving for sweet foods, although I did find that dried prunes satisfied my sweet tooth instead of a nice piece of Vahlrona!
Unread 12-09-2007, 05:25 PM
craving protein

If you are craving ice cubes that is suppose to indicate a iron deficiency. I have been eating very healthy like my mother organic veg and chicken soup, and I am not interested in fatten things either. Some commericials of drippy burgers make me feel sick. But I have lost 20 lbs so far and that makes me very happy. I think my swelly belly will be good for another 5lbs at least. I bodies are in great need of things to rebuild with that would be proteins and good carbs. I love a snickers bar as much as the next person but it probable won't build cells so maybe that some how turns us off right now.
Unread 12-09-2007, 06:18 PM
craving protein

I didn't know that craving ice indicates in iron deficiency, but it certainly couldn't hurt to take an iron supplement. My doc actually prescribed iron pills to me post-op, although I take them daily any way because my iron count is usually low. Another great source of iron is cream of wheat. It actually has more iron than most other foods. I learned this about a year ago when I tried to donate blood but was turned away due to low iron count. They gave me a list of foods high in iron & cream of wheat was at the top of the list. It's actually pretty good if you add your own goodies (bananas, honey, dates, etc.).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register