LIght housework? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LIght housework? LIght housework?

Unread 12-09-2007, 11:56 AM
LIght housework?

My house is getting worse by the day and its only DH and I. Things are piling up in every room except our bedroom because nothing gets "set" in there.

It is starting to drive me nuts. DH tries but his mother never allowed him to do anything around the house (she would never be satisfied) so nothing is getting done.

When can I sweep the floors? Can I use the vacuum with attachments? Can you scrub with elbow grease?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2007, 12:12 PM
LIght housework?

NO NO NO NO NO!

My hubby is the same. His mother had a maid. It's driving me nuts to have to allow the house to get messy, but I have found out the hard way, that just because your brain says that 'you're ok' doesn't necessarily mean that it's checked with your body!

It is not worth setting your recovery back a week or so just to vacuum the living room. If you can't learn to ignore it, and can afford it, call a cleaning service. If you can't do either of those, call one of the friends who've said 'if there's anything I can do just call' and beg them to come do it.

If you can't do any of the above, then shut yourself in your room and stay there until you're completely recovered. Trust me, the mess will be there when you're better!
Unread 12-09-2007, 12:39 PM
LIght housework?

By all means, do NOT do any housework until your doc gives you the green light. If you can't get DH to do it, perhaps one of your friends or relatives will do it. After all, that's the most help they can possibly be, with the exception of bringing you meals. Hang in there & rest, rest, rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2007, 12:54 PM
LIght housework?

i'd call your dr tomorrow and check what his timetable is but i'm sure you can do some of the things you've listed at 4 weeks post op. maybe not vacuuming but i'm sure you can sweep and straighten up. wait one more day to check with your dr to be sure though.
Unread 12-09-2007, 01:35 PM
LIght housework?

I agree with the advise already given. Don't take the chance that you will hurt your internal stitches. I did too much yesterday and now I am in pain.

Forget about the dirt but how about having DH at least pickup the clutter. Sit in the room with him and direct him on where things belong. If his mother never taught him you will need to guide him.

Sit back and let him do the heavy work. The most you should be doing would be some light dusting if you can stand on your feet long enough.
Unread 12-09-2007, 04:40 PM
LIght housework?

I had my hyst the same day as you. My Doc released me this past Friday for everything except work because my job is just too physical. When do you see your Doc? Maybe you could call him/her and ask what you are allowed to do at 4 weeks post-op(tomorrow).
Unread 12-09-2007, 04:48 PM
LIght housework?

Don't you even try to vaccum or sweep. Your abdominal muscles will thank you. Maybe your husband just needs some guidance. "Sweetie could you please vaccum the living room" or "Could you please throw some clothes in the washer".

Just leave it if he can't seem to get it done. Your recovery is way more important then a clean house.
Unread 12-09-2007, 05:23 PM
LIght housework?

Living alone, there were some things that I had to do myself early on, but NOT vacuuming! No no no! Don't do it! Another thing that you should not do is push a shopping cart at the grocery store. Those things weight 500 lounds, no joke. While it seems to be easy to push, you are putting stress on your body.

The only "housework" that I could see being okay would be light dusting, wiping down kitchen and bathroom counters. End of story.

I had my daughter come over once a week to vacuum for me. For the first two weeks, either she or my mother came over to scoop the litter box. Also, they put my garbage and recycling out each week for the first 6 weeks. On that subject...I had a fabulous offer from a Hyster Sister. She had surgery a week after me and lives near me. She offered to have her husband stop by to put my garbage out! Now, how nice was that?

We ended up getting together while we were both still recovering for some pumpkin bread at tea and her home. She bought me a lovely box of chocolates from a fabulous choclatier here that deos chocolates for the Oscar Awards and I took her a bottle of wine. Now that we are a year post-op, we're trying to co-ordinate a day to have lunch.
Unread 12-09-2007, 05:51 PM
LIght housework?

Id ask your doctor .... I had my TAH/BS conserved ovaries done on the 15th November and have been for the past week cleaning (making the bed, cooking, dishes, sweeping, dusting, folding and putting away washing), and have also been released to drive locally (dropping the kids off at school/kindy, and shopping) .... so it may pay to ask your doctor what you can or cannot do yet

Best of luck
Unread 12-09-2007, 08:07 PM
LIght housework?

Like most of the other posters here, I'd ask your doc. I, too, lived alone and quite frankly, couldn't take my "mom's help" because it drove me nuts. While I didn't have to vacuum (hardwood floors and I could use a dustbuster on corners and otherwise sweep), I had a system down to do everything else - laundry, dishes, cooking, even my own grocery shopping without lifting more than 7 lbs. (the weight restriction my doc gave me). I also drove the week after my surgery, but I think I may have bullied my doc a little bit (it's okay - I know him pretty well). I'm three months out with no problems and back to running three miles every other day. I think it depends on how your body heals, what shape you were in before and adhering to your weight restrictions. (I'd also say it depends a little on how well you were irrigated in surgery as to adhesions and scar tissue, but that gets a little complicated). Take it easy, talk to your doc and do a little at a time. Those were my rules and they worked for me.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register