Weight loss or gain after surgery?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weight loss or gain after surgery?? Weight loss or gain after surgery??

Unread 12-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Weight loss or gain after surgery??

I was just curious if anyone had any information about whether there is a weight loss after surgery. I've worked so hard to lose weight and I'm finally at my goal weight. I've been working out 5 days a week up till now, and I know that will stop for a few weeks, but I was just curious what experiences some people have had, if any?

I'm starting my 1 week count down until Monday the 17th....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2007, 08:07 PM

I've been fortunate - my TAH was Aug 21 and I've lost over 20 lbs since that time. Would like to lose about 17 more.

Don't be surprised if your weight is up immediately after surgery - you can be quite bloated with gas! I was up 9 lbs when I got home, but that disappeared after a few days.

With that bloating gone, "real" weight started coming off right away, as I didn't have much of an appetite initially. That gave me the incentive I needed to turn over a new leaf and keep it going. I joined Weight Watchers at around 7 weeks, and am very happy with my results - down 23 lbs in all.

Good luck with everything!!!
Unread 12-09-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_new_life
I've been fortunate - my TAH was Aug 21 and I've lost over 20 lbs since that time. Would like to lose about 17 more.

Don't be surprised if your weight is up immediately after surgery - you can be quite bloated with gas! I was up 9 lbs when I got home, but that disappeared after a few days.

With that bloating gone, "real" weight started coming off right away, as I didn't have much of an appetite initially. That gave me the incentive I needed to turn over a new leaf and keep it going. I joined Weight Watchers at around 7 weeks, and am very happy with my results - down 23 lbs in all.

Good luck with everything!!!
Congrats on the weight loss. That is so great to hear! So many peole talk about the weight gain! I am still a month or so out, but that surely makes me feel better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2007, 08:26 PM

Hi there. I also lost weight after surgery. I'm down 10 pounds and I had expected to gain as I was having surgery because of long-term anemia associated with menorhhagia (I misspelled that, I'm sure) and a huge fibroid. I was also worried about weight gain, but I've not been told that it's pretty much an old wives' tale.

Good luck!
Unread 12-09-2007, 09:24 PM

I've heard a lot of the weight loss may be attributed to the fact that you feel better, and start moving around more! I lost 20 lbs a couple of years ago, and it all came back, but I'm sure part of it is fibroids.
Unread 12-09-2007, 11:32 PM

Karen,
I had asked the same question but didn't get much response. Thanks for asking... it seems like weight loss/gain depends on the person. I lost 80+ pounds in 2004 but gained back 40+ in the last year or so due to my symptoms. I know I can't wait to get back in shape! We both go to the castle on the same day (9:10am my surgery time). I'm going in for a LAVH. I hope we can touch base after we get home & help each other with recovery & staying on track with diet & excercise when we are fully recovered!
Happy holidays!
Unread 12-10-2007, 03:40 AM

When I got home from hospital I jumped on the scale because I heard so many women lost weight. I could have cried~I was up 7lbs! I am now 6 days post-op and down 3lbs from pre-surgery. I think that most of that is from not feeling like eating much. I also work out 3-4 days a week and will be glad to start working out again. Best of luck to you.
Unread 12-10-2007, 07:44 AM

I was the same as you. I had lost quite a bit of weight and did not want any back.
After my tah/bso I lost weight at first, no appetite ( unusual for me ).
Now, at 5 years post-op, I'm about the same as I was pre-op. I think that it can go either way, depending on the individual and their personal health & life style. I stay pretty active and try to eat healthy.

S
Unread 12-10-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphiresuz
Karen,
I had asked the same question but didn't get much response. Thanks for asking... it seems like weight loss/gain depends on the person. I lost 80+ pounds in 2004 but gained back 40+ in the last year or so due to my symptoms. I know I can't wait to get back in shape! We both go to the castle on the same day (9:10am my surgery time). I'm going in for a LAVH. I hope we can touch base after we get home & help each other with recovery & staying on track with diet & excercise when we are fully recovered!
Happy holidays!
First, thanks everyone for the responses. After I asked the question, I thought it might be a silly thing to worry about when I have other pressing medical issues, but I worked so hard to lose the 45 lbs I lost this past year, the fear of anything throwing a wrench in my progress is terrifying.

Now on the sapphiresuz....yes, we are the same day. My surgery is scheduled for 10 am. Right now, I'm scheduled to have a TVH, but I've got a pre op appointment on Thursday to find out if there's been any changes in my doc's plans. The fact that I've never had children may create problems for a TVH. We'll see. I'm 11 years older than you, but I'm hoping I recover like a young pup. I've been extremely dedicated to healthly eating, working out 5 days a week, and taking my vitamins religiously. I'm hoping that I'm doing enough and I've done enough over the last few years to get myself to a healthy point of recovery. I guess only time will tell.

I'll be anxious to share our recovery stories together!!!!
Unread 12-10-2007, 11:05 PM

I gave up on working out as of late, since it makes me feel worse rather than better. Hoping that changes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register