Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007 - Page 15 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007 Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007

Unread 12-20-2007, 11:16 PM
Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007

Thanks for the tip rocky cat! I have to ask, if you keep one ovary does it do the work of two? Do you have to be on hormone replacement therapy? I started on HRT day after surgery (tibolone) because I lost two ovaries.

Mineral oil could work---it seems my problem is the "journey" through the intestines--awful awful pain and cramps so the oil could do the trick. I haven't taken any "pills" or vitamins or anything since surgery, just panadol. I was on iron pills due to iron loss prior to surgery but I am afraid to take them as I fear I will have the problem of constipation. Also was on Vitamin D and fish oil. Perhaps the fish oil (similar to mineral oil i think?) should recommence. I will try it. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2007, 07:26 AM
thanks

Just wanted to say.... Thanks for understanding... thanks for not confirming that I'm a nut job... thanks for being here for me, and each other. I am determined that today will be better, somehow, someway. I am determined to remember that things could be way worse, and that I am
(supposedly, anyway), in charge of my own mental state.
I am determined to stay with the Hystersisters, who have helped me through so much.
Hope all us get back to 'normal' soon.
Mary Kay
Unread 12-21-2007, 07:59 AM

bremcak and ekkorose,

I am glad I'm not the only one still taking pain meds. I take usually two a day and sometimes motrin too. (SAH on 12/12.)

Some people who had surgeries during the past week seem to be doing so much better, I was feeling like a baby.

Of course, right now the worst seems to be the BMs, just like everyone else. I have lots of swelling and a LOT of pain in the late afternoons, but I know this too shall pass.

Take care everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2007, 08:50 AM

I have a friend who is a massage therapist..I asked her what to do for the gas. She said she was trained to gentle rub in a clockwise pattern to stimulate the intestines. She has done this successfully for colicky babies. hth
Unread 12-21-2007, 09:09 AM

I'm home, and doing well. DH is truly a saint, helping with everything. Had no trouble with urination, LOTS of gas. Had my first BM after I got home yesterday, 12/20. Only taking vicodin every 8 hours instead of every 4. Slept well at home. Never do well in hosp. They want you to rest, but wake you every hour for vitals, bathroom and walks. My staples will come out 12/24. Dr said my TAH/BSO went well. My biggest issue will be accepting help, as I am usually the care giver by career choice. My DH is keeping me in line. Love that man!!! Thanks for all your support. Hosp staff loved the guide book I brought with to the castle. Going to rest now. Hope evyone else's went well.
Unread 12-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Follow-up Check up

Hi Everyone- TAH with both ovaries and cerix removed 12/10. I had my first follow-up appointment today. All patyhology fine. I had a cyst in the lining of my uterus. That was the problem all along. I feel good. BM's still hurt. Doctor said it should get easier with time and to call him if pain gets worse. I discussed Primarin vs. bio-identical hormones. I was going to choose bio-identical but went with Primarin instead. He said to read the WHI study done in 2005 on Primarin ONLY (estrogen only hormone replacement). The study shows NO link to breast cancer like some of the other estrogen replecements have. He said there were no studies on the bio-identical estrogens. So for now I went with a sure thing. I am going to do some more research. I hurt just a little (no pain meds needed), I tire easily, but have been up and around as usual. Up and down stairs all day, out shopping (groceries) just a bit, etc. Doctor said still no lifting or running till after 6 weeks. No bath either(keep incision out of bath tub)--but shower ok. I didn't have any staples. I had stiches and a big clear plastic band over my stomach till today when doctor removed it. Hope everyone is doing well. Remember we are all individuals with different body needs, different pain tolerance levels, different surgeries, ages, body health, etc. Some of us cry a lot-some not at all-some of us need lots of meds some none, some of us heal really fast others slow. Each experience is unique like each of us are unique! Thank God!
Unread 12-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Hi

Hi all! I had my total abdominal hysterectomy on 12/14. I did keep my cervix. I had my first post op yesterday also. All was fine . I am allowed to walk alittle more on treadmill.(very slowly and only for a few minutes at a time) But you can not walk outside here now there is snow and ice everywhere. My pathology was also fine. My right ovary was adhesed to my abdominal wall and I had adenomyosis and endometriosis. I have known about the endo for 14 years. I am going stir crazy with nothing to do. I usually have 3 children under foot and they have been with grandparents since surgery. I also had the gas pain and the first horrible bm. I now have diarrhea?. I am drinking lots of water. I feel really good except that I get tired and then my incision hurts when I try to sleep.
My kids are coming home until after christmas tomorrow and I am worried that I will overdo it but my husband is awesome with them and he has been wonderful through this whole event.
Does anyone have small children (8,4, and 2)? What sort of things have you done to make the recovery and caring for them easier?

Thanks

Kinda
Unread 12-21-2007, 11:57 AM

I had my LAVH on 12/13/07. The doctor said it was a very difficult procedure because every cut produced a lot of bleeding inside with lots of suturing and cautery (burning). He knew I was going to be in a lot of pain when I woke up, and he was right. I was using Demerol and Dilaudid shots alternating along with finally Oxycontin 40 mg and Narco 7.5 mg alternating which I came home taking four days later. It was supposed to be an overnight stay that turned into four days. My doctor likes to use the pediatric unit for his hysterectomy patients if there are rooms available, and there was. So, I got a private room and wonderful nurses. No call took more than a minute for a response. The castle was superior!!!! The catheter stayed in for three days. I didn't get up for three days, because the doctor said he knew I wasn't ready. They used the leg anti-clot devices to prevent clots. They were great. I had special donations of two units of blood by my twin sister and a nephew in advance. I was glad I did. I was given those two pints of blood on day three. It really helped "perk" me up. My hemoglobin did drop drastically because of all the bleeding. I was already anemic before the procedure, and that really helped make a turn in me feeling better before discharge. Now that I am home, I am weaning off the narcotics and feeling lots better. I am glad it is all behind me. I am ready for Christmas. I can tell I am feeling better because the messy house is getting to me and television is getting boring!
Unread 12-21-2007, 12:00 PM

Hello, I have 14, 9, and 2, my hubby took off the first week and then I had people stay with me up until yesterday, and I was and still am feeling good, but I think I was up walking too much yesterday, I started spotting light pink, so today my 14 year old is in charge, scary.
Unread 12-21-2007, 12:52 PM

Yep, I have similar to you! I feel bad after I eat. I thought I would get my staples out today, but NO! I had a hematoma, so the doc wants to leave them in until the 27th. I guess he had two patients that "popped", as he put it (incision open up), and he doesn't want me to do that over Christmas.

Honestly, I don't feel that my doc completely leveled with me about the whole process before I began this journey. I didn't realize there would be all of this swelling, gas, long-term nausea, etc. Does anybody else feel this same way?

I feel like my recovery is a lot slower than everyone else. I know part of it is because it is a traditional abdominal hysterectomy, but this seems to be taking awhile for me to come around. I have never had any other major surgery to use as a reference, though, so I don't know if it is just my own impatience.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register