Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007 - Page 25 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007 Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007

Unread 12-27-2007, 04:15 AM
Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007

In response to the question: Was this the best solution? For me it was. I think I put up with extreme bleeding each month thinking if I could somehow make it to menopause, I was doing myself a favor. Not!

The rectocele/vaginal wall suport issue kinda forced the issue for me, and I'm glad. Tampons were falling out due to no room in the vagina. This made me house-bound 2-3 days each month (= 1 month/per year).

Once my Dr. explained that there really wasn't a benefit to prolonging the inevitable and I'd be better to have it done at 41 than 51, there was no looking back.

It is difficult right now as we are getting a little restless to be back to normal, but everyone I've talked to whose had this done says you'll never look back. Quality of life will be soooo much better. We can swim whenever we want!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2007, 06:25 AM

Dear sisters

I am a 57 year old who lives in England. I had my surgery (total hysterectomy) because of cancer of the uterus on the 10th in a National Health Service hospital - no cost to me. I didn't leave hospital until 16th when I felt ready to go home. I am amazed to read that some of you returned home on the same day - even with catheters!

I feel very lucky to have had the 6 days in hospital.

Best wishes to you all for the New Year.

Percyvera
Unread 12-27-2007, 07:19 AM

Well, I think I'm up to date on all of our current posts. My take on the 'inner twinges', of which I have also, are that they are small muscle spasms, and of course they are much more frequent when I have done too much. To all of the stomach sleepers, I have found that a small shirt, balled-up and positioned as needed, has helped me get back on my stomach, and comfortably. Just fiddle with it. Now here's a good, theoretical question....
with all the drugs available for this, that and the other, why isn't there one that will let us overlook the dirt, the laundry, the unmade beds, etc., and just sit and veg, like we're supposed to, without going bonkers?
To our UK sisters, I have been catching up on my reading, and am wondering what 'rocket' is, found in salad? Just been bugging me.
Two weeks out as of the 26th, will attempt to do shopping with just DS today, almost out of dog food. Hope everyone has a great day!
Mary Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2007, 07:30 AM

Health care here in the States is very different than in England. I've been lucky to have talked to English Emergency response persons, that shows the difference in health care, in the field as well as in hospital. Here our insurance companies dictate a lot. I believe National Health is similar to what they have in Canada, like a universal policy for everyone. My policy is out of the hospital I work at. I will have a co-pay as well as a % to pay of the bill. I was told 2 weeks before my hysterectomy date that I needed one. I kind of knew all along due to family history, as well as my medical training. I went in on Monday the 17, came home Thurs the 20. NO catheter, which was taken out Mon, once I was up and walking. Some days I think the extra days would have been nice, but I was already gettng stir-crazy with my stay.
I have found my hip pain is also from laying down more than usual. This happened to me when I was on bed rest for a back injury 3 years ago. It eases up once you move around more. The more your rest the more your muscles atrophy. That's another reason for feeling weak, and tiring so easily. Just speaking from experience. NOT a DR, just a paramedic/ED tech.
Keep recovering at your individual paces. Don't rush, it will all come about, and you will all feel better. I know I do.
Happy New Year Ladies!
Unread 12-27-2007, 09:19 AM

Kathy,

You are SO right. It is the need to be there and help, I have even turned my pager off so I don't hear what is going on!

I was told there was paper work that could be done if I get to board at home!

Thanks for pointing out what I was trying to not think about

Sue
Unread 12-27-2007, 09:58 AM

Hi Everyone. I've been and still am out of town - in Oklahoma City for a week.

The plane ride went great - I flew on Christmas day and where as the flight was only supposed to be 1.5 hours we sat on the runway for an hour because we were having a bit of a snowstorm in Denver!

But I was able to get up and walk around on the plane and really it was no problem. DH carried everything. I was really tired when we got to MIL's house!

The only pain meds I have been on since Dec21 have been naproxen sodium (I went off vicodin on the 16th (5 days post op) tried ibuprofen for a few days but it was making me sick and then switched to the napoxen. I think I'll try going off that today.

So now I wonder if I have a little infection. I've been spotting all week - it started light brown but is now red. The edge of vagina is very itchy. My tummy doesn't feel so good either. I've put a call into the Dr but haven't heard back yet.

Otherwise I feel pretty good - just tired and still get sore and swelly toward the end of the day. Sometimes I get little stabbing pains the only last for a few seconds. Trying to take it easy but hard with all this relatives visiting stuff.

My Dh and MIL just went off to the yoga class that my MIL teaches - how I wish I could join them!

Oh Yea...found out that I had a LAVH instead of a TLH. Still haven't spoken to my DR since surgery but that is what the nurse told me. Hmmm...wonder what happened?
Unread 12-27-2007, 10:45 AM

I finally got my staples out yesterday GOD BLESS! I have a hematoma underneath, the staple ripped out a little pin hole in there, and now I spout old blood every once and awhile, without warning. I was at church on Christmas and then BAM. Off to the ER I went. They put on a steri-strip, sent me home, and then more came out, so back I went. It comes out at a good clip, so it's like I'm still having a period only at another place. The doc said to just let it drip on out. Some fun Christmas!

This is kind of frustrating to me. I feel like I have replaced one problem with another.

Otherwise, the incision looks good, except for the "blowhole." The doc said it looked "pristine." I have been putting some Vaseline cocoa butter/vitamin E lotion on it, and that cut down on the itchies a lot. Everything else seems to be working o.k., I can eat and do my business just fine so far. I get really tired, so I just lay there if I do. I am taking it really slow.

I also got rid of my stomach flu, but now my poor mom, who is eldery and diabetic, caught it from me, so she is laying here sick too. My whole family got sucked into this, and I daresay they may kill me before its all through!
Unread 12-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Catheter finally out!

I would like to mention I had the hip pain too. It hurt to move in bed if I had been laying to long. Also I saw a doc on call since mine is still on vacation. I found soo much more out about the surgery and helped to ease my mind. I lost 10 pds after surgery and was worried. She said my uterus was very enlarged and the tumor on my ovary was the size of a baseball. And along with 5 fibroids. This could have been a factor. I am one woman who is definately grateful that I had the surgery. It was painful, it was hard. But I too look back at the horrible headaches, heavy periods and pain in my legs that right before surgery had me limited and on pain pills all day. I am small framed and looked as if I was pregnant all the time. I know that it was the only option. I did get the cath out today and she explained that they did some work on my bladder and that some woman heal slower and that with the UTI it makes it worse. I was able to go when I got home (tho it did hurt like heck!) But I will keep trying. I even vacuumed today! I may try to go to work for half a day tomorrow. I am going crazy just sitting in this house. I hope that all of you heal soon and that your discomfort goes away. It is wonderful just knowing that I was able to get support here. God Bless you all. And thank you soo much.
Unread 12-27-2007, 11:14 AM

(((ladies)))

Just a quick reminder ~ if you have any questions, please be sure to start a new thread with your concerns, so you can benefit from the experience of all our members!

If you check out Princess Bea Well's introduction, at the beginning of this thread, you'll see she explains how to use the thread.

Thank you for your understanding and wishing you all the very best for a smooth recovery!

Unread 12-27-2007, 12:33 PM

Sue-

Sorry, but as it was also pointed out to me, we have to take care of ourselves first.

You'll do fine.

Kathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register