Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007 - Page 26 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007 Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007

Unread 12-27-2007, 02:27 PM
Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007

Well today is 14 days post op and I feel okay, but I still cant seem to get off the percocet. I have tried a half and that works every once and a while but then I need a full one to catch up on the pain. I also just got a bladder infection so I had to add an antibiotic and I got a yeast infection from the Clindamycin for my incision infection, that is much better now. I have been able to get out more, with a wheel chair so thats good as I am pretty bored at home and its fun to get out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2007, 04:14 PM
GraceHL

Hi Everyone!

This is my first time posting anywhere, ever, so I hope I do this right!

I had a TAH on December 12 and am now 2 weeks and 1 day out. I just had my staples removed today - and I tell you - I was really nervous about having them out. I went on-line to the "Hyster Sisters" website last night really feeling freaked out - but when I found some threads that dealt with that fear - it was absolutely awesome and calming to read that it REALLY isn't as bad as we may fear.

And now I'm here to tell you for a FACT - that it isn't BAD AT ALL! Yeah! So, for those of you that haven't yet had their staples out - never fear!

I had a vertical TAH - and my tummy looked like a football with the staples. My DH loved that!

My hospital stay was for 2 nights - and I did well with the drugs. I had a morphine drip while at the hospital and then went to 800 mg Ibuprofine and Vicodin for home. They worked well for me.

I didn't have my first BM until 5 days post-op - and I was singing "Hallelujah!!!" when it finally happened! I found out that prune juice did wonders for me.

I am so blessed because I had my DM & DH to help me out for the first days after my TAH - and then my 2 daughters came home from college and have been able to take over the "care duties." I have to admit that the care has somewhat changed from my very attentive DM - to my daughters. I love the "Is there anything you need, Mom?" as they fly out the door to be with their friends. Seriously, though, they have been wonderful and caring in their own way and I am so happy to have them home!

I am so glad I found this website to be among all of you who are going through the very same things I am going through. The information and sharing of stories has been phenominal for my well-being.

I wish you all the very best in the year ahead. Just think - no more periods in 2008 and beyond! The thought is mind-boggling, isn't it?!! YEEHA!
Unread 12-27-2007, 07:26 PM

I had my LAVH on 12/13/07 for fibroids, adenomyosis and heavy bleeding. I have a bladder infection now and went to the doctor on 12/26/07 for that but have experienced increased pain under the navel since 12/24. The pain has been so severe that I have increased the pain medication to Oxycontin 40 mg once a day and Narco 7.5 mg/325 one tablet every 4-6 hours all day long. The doctor did a manual exam (ouch and brought tears to my eyes), a sonogram and a transvaginal ultrasound looking for a hematoma or an abscess. Fortunately, there wasn't either one, but since she put me on Cipro for the bladder infection, she hoped that if I had a postop infection, it would help with that too. I am supposed to call them back on Friday to let them know if the pain is better, worse, or the same. The pain is there whether I move or not. It isn't because I have overdone or not. I haven't felt like doing anything my entire postop period. I lay around or sit in a recliner. I have gotten out a couple of times but it only wears me out. I walk around the house some. It helps with bowel movements which are doing okay. The pain isn't gas pain - I definitely know what that is. Anyway - anyone else have this problem with this intense pain in the lower abdomen area? There is no heat to touch the skin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2007, 12:22 PM

Hi everyone

haven't posted for a couple of days because NOTHING has happened- well apart from Christmas etc. but you know what I mean.

good to know that other people are having the sudden twinges - not good for you obviously, but it's good to know they're quite common. I have them particularly where my ovaries probably are..and really make me wince.

haven't had any pain killers today, and don't have any pain, but do feel quite stiff in my abdomen, which gets tighter as the day goes on..but look less pregnant everyday-hurray.

good to see you're doing well Grace - the staple thing sounds very uncomfortable - I get the impression that vertical incisions take the longest to heal. Share the children issues - mine are lovely, and have tried really hard, but have no empathy with me. I've always encouraged them to be out and independent, it's hard for them to understand that they might have to give a little of that up for me now- and I'm not sure I want them to anyway.Had a little weep about 10 days out - it shocked them, but also made them realise how vulnerable I was...should have tried it years ago!lol

Hi Percyvera, there is also a thread called - Anyone from the UK? where you might find someone from your area - or with our experience of this from UK perspective - where are you from?

Mary Kay, rocket is a leafy, lettuce like plant- slightly peppery leaves I think -very good for you, probably full of iron (bit like spinach). Have to ask why you want to know..lol?

Hope everyone is feeling a little better than yesterday..and looking forward to the New Year..
x
Unread 12-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi Sisters

HI Sisters,
I hope all of you are resting and being good to yourselves! My Christmas was busy like all of you and now it is time to rest! The day after Christmas I laid in bed all day except to eat and use the bathroom I was sore and exhausted! Today is better.

I saw my Dr. yesterday he said I am good, that I can drive short distances, and do light housework etc... Of couse I already started doing that last week because I am anal and what things my way! To my detrement!

I continue to have gas pain at times, will it ever end! Last night I had shrimp scampi and thought I was going to die, couldn't get to the bathroom fast enough, so be careful what you eat!

I have been off all meds since the day after Christmas and I am not too sore, mostly my happy face incision is not too happy but tight and sore above it , I also get a little pain in my one little ovary now and then, otherwise its pretty good so far! But bored out of my mind!

Love and hugs to all of you, I love this website and all the info and strength we share, I would be lost without it!
Unread 12-28-2007, 04:29 PM

Hi everyone---I've been off pain medication for over a week now and the only pain I get every now and then is right where my belly button is and beneath it (where the lap went in I think?). Also, I get bad headaches every afternoon and not sure if this is due to the livial the surgeon put me on or not? Could be stress from not doing enough?!

Symptoms I am getting right now are still "gas"...but not as bad as it was. Afternoon headaches, some belly button soreness, and bad odor..awful when I pee etc. I think coming from vaginal area---even my dog can smell me and gives me a funny look!!! My belly has gone down so only look 3 months pregnant vs. 7 months...I started doing light ab work from exercises on this site which help. And, I'm knitting and reading and walking twice a day for a good walk with the dogs. I am beginning to feel more normal. I am also now going to call soon to get my pathology report because I am worried about ovarian cancer....they took the ovaries due to suspicious tissue growth so maybe that is why I have a headache every day. Anyways, this site has helped me a lot and so have all of you. Cheers!
Unread 12-28-2007, 04:37 PM
2 week post op

Hi all! I went to the Dr yesterday for my two week checkup and to have remaining 2/3rds of staples removed.OUCH!
The Dr said that I came through the surgery with flying colors and that she really expected me to have trouble. I guess that is good though she did not tell me that she expected trouble. I do have trouble with anesthesia, which I did not have this time. Maybe that is all she was referring to. I like my doc alot and I feel like she was very thorough before my surgery but that surprised me.
I have been feeling really good. My stomach was very tender around the incision site but since the staples came out that has stopped. I think they were poking me inside. If that makes sense. I still get really tired easy. For instance today I went to pay a couple of bills and grab some popcorn at the store and came home and slept for an hour. I am only allowed to lift 5 lbs and can not push grocery cart or I would have gotten more at store. Anyway, I am allowed to drive now. I can not lift my 2 year old in or out of car but I can drive. Basically that does me no good if kids are with me.
My parents are still watching my kids while my husband is at work and then he brings them home in the evening.
I hate not being able to care for my kids myself. I think I could if I just did not lift but my hubby ( who knows me too well) is afraid that the little ones will cry and I will carry them or forget and lift on them. It is hard not to.
I am not taking HRT right now. Doc said that since I am not having hot flashes or other symptoms right now I do not have to. I did fill script in case I need them.
I know that I have gone on and on but I am home alone again and bored.
Hope everyone is doing well.

Kinda
Unread 12-28-2007, 04:49 PM
two week check up

I had my two week check up yesterday. As I thought...I was not sitting on the couch enough. That will change this weekend as I plan to plant my butt on the couch and watch TV

He explained the being tired as my body saying "slow down a bit" I will head back to work at the end of next week. I was told I won't do any damage, but need to take it easy.

Last night we had an ambulance call, ended up being one of our own. Man was it hard to sit at home and hear everything. I know I had shut my radio off, but I missed the "noise" so I turned it back on. Had 3 firefighter's tell me to STAY HOME. So I did.

Hope everyone has a great weekend of R&R and maybe some comfy foods. I was shocked when the nurse told me I lost 8#'s

I'll check back later.

Sue
Unread 12-28-2007, 05:05 PM

I'm bored too! I hate to watch tv and sit around as my real life has me up and moving around all day long at work and before work too.

I have found that one upside of having the operation is that I am no longer constipated...apparently, my fibroids were so big they were pressing on my lower intestinal area and causing this...for years... anyways, after the operation I've been drinking 48oz of water a day and also taking two metamucil caps with calcium daily. Between the water, the extra fiber, and having the fibroids out...I am actually regular for the first time in my life.

So, that is the only good news right now. I'm watching my husband garden and alternate that with putting in loads of laundry. For once, he is more active than me! I could get used to this!!!!
Unread 12-28-2007, 05:38 PM

That makes 3 of us bored, everyone in my house is gone also.

I called the Dr. today because the last 3 nights I have been sweating puddles. It is weird because keep both of my ovaries. When the Dr called back she said that it seems like my ovaries are adjusting and she wants to but me on some temporary medication so I have an appointment on Monday. We will see what happens other that the sweaty nights I am just still real fatigued when I do something and I take naps frequently on days that I move around, when I become lazy I am good. I still have some gas pain but the BM's are not painful and my incesion is sore in spots, it's funny because under the incesion in spots I have no feeling to touch.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register