Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007 - Page 52 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007 Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007

Unread 01-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007

Ladies; I received zero post op information other than "no sex" until after the post op check, which was set up for six weeks after my surgery. So, my appnt for the "first" time with my doc is Jan 22nd and then if all is okay I will return to work. I was told I could return to work earlier if I wanted to and then I thought to myself...hmmm if they set up the post op check for the "all clear" for six weeks post surgery, then why "should" I go back before I have that appnt? So...I rang my surgeon's office and asked if I "had" to go back to work before six week check and would they give me a medical certificate to say it was okay to return to work after my check up? They said "yes" and that it was up to me. I am so.................glad I have not gone back yet because at four weeks post op I am still sore in the tummy at times and still very tired and still spotting a lot.

And, I did call once to get my pathology results and spoke to the doctor but that was at my initiative only because I was so worried. Other than that, if it was not for this site I can honestly say that I would have been constantly worrying and calling my surgeon's office daily. I too am amazed that more information isn't forthcoming from an operation that is purported to be so "common" for women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2008, 04:48 PM

I'm 4wks post-op TAH. I had additional complications, like the Dr reopening 4" of the incision and contracting a staph infection. I'm sloowly getting a bit more energy. I find it astounding that a woman can go from being in shape and energetic to slack muscle tone and lethargy in 4 short weeks :-O

I am see the Dr tomorrow and have questions regarding an increase in pain. I'm using the pain meds again after 10days of being drug free. My nerve endings around the would have healed, but the pain I have is radiating inward from an area of the incision that is healed.

I am going for walks in stores and malls, when I can get a ride there. I can't drive yet so I'm at the mercy of others. Living in the land of snow and ice means outdoor walking is too hazardous right now.

I've resigned myself to a slower recovery due to the complications. I found that watching a hysterectomy being performed on-line helped me realize how invasive the procedure is. It also helped me understand that a body needs alot of rest to heal all the wounds that occur.

I hope those that have had boring, uneventful recoveries are counting their blessings after reading some of our sister's stories!!
Unread 01-10-2008, 07:57 PM

patientone- how terrible! Staph infections take a lot of time to recover from and are quite serious--I had a one a year ago (cellulitis) from a simple scratch that got out of control and before you knew it my leg had blown up to twice its size with red infection. Take it easy. I grew up in Rochester, NY and we used to get a lot of snow there too. Be careful and don't slip on the ice while you are walking!!! And, yes, many people don't realise all of the internal stitches and injury that takes place "beneath the surface" ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2008, 01:14 AM

Hi Sisters,
It's Midnight and as usual I am sitting here updating myself on your posts after a couple days. I love all the funny comments, it's good we still have a sense of humor after this!

Hugs to all the sisters that are suffering from all kinds of aliments!

I am doing good, still no spotting but some discharge. I have been doing too much bending! Decided to clean out my daughters closet~big mistake it took all day and i was so sore the next! and the Christmas decorations~ Crazy!

Got in a car accident and got hit on my Drivers side doors, panicked, called the Dr he said i should be fine~I hope so!

Sounds like we all are still tired, I guess I expected to be able to do more without poopin myself out, thank goodness I have 3 more weeks before I go back to work! Stay off as long as you can ladies!

Once again thank you all so much for all your posts! I don't know what I would do without this site!

Happy Healing and God Bless!
Rocky Cat
Unread 01-11-2008, 04:21 AM

Mary Kay..thanx for the chuckle about the abs and having to work hard to make them look good. I needed a laugh.
Unread 01-11-2008, 05:15 AM

Regarding the new posts, (since my last one ), about seeing/not seeing dr., I will not see mine until Jan. 22, for my first check-up since leaving the castle! I had been getting concerned, what with a lot of you having 2 and 4 week post-op apps., but did call my Dr., who asked if I thought I was having any problems, and since I thought things were going ok, he said wait until the 22nd. Drs. are funny things, aren't they.
Love2save, glad you got a laugh. We all need those, everyday.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Mary Kay
Unread 01-11-2008, 06:39 AM

Dr's are all different, as are the patients. I had 1, 2, and will have a 6 week post-op visits. That's when we decide about returning to work, as well as my lifting. (need to lift minimum of 50 lbs for the hosp, 75 for the firehouse) I'd like to work-out to regain my muscle, before going back to the ER, so I don't hurt myself. (abs or back)
A sense of humor is good, it helps heal and keep you sane.
Have a good day ladies
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Laproscopic Surgery Update

Hi All...Had my surgery on Dec. 13th. I read alot about recovery from Abdominal Surgery...Thought I'd write about Laproscopic recovery.

Now mind you, I had 2 C-sections; but the recovery from this surgery has been extremely easy. I felt extremely BAD the day of the surgery and in the hospital that night they had me strapped into compression boots. My 15 yo daughter stayed in the hospital with me and was able to get me out of the boots and out of bed when I needed to go to the bathroom. She also helped me get up and walk....If you have someone who is WILLING to stay with you the first day and 1/2 or so its great. Anyway got up and walked the day of the surgery. Urination was an issue (my bladder had adhered to the uterus and was repaired as well). By day 2 I only took painkillers at night. The worst part of the recovery has been and continues to be sleep issues--not being able to sleep and staying up until 3 in the morning. At day 5, I ended up doing WAY too much. My mother had to have a hip replacement in Fl. I am in NC....so I flew down. The flight was horrible...but worked it out...brought a pillow with me and used a seatbelt extender--got through the turbulance. But as I stated it really wasn't the flying that got me it was all the work getting ready and not resting....BIG mistake I was in pain that night had muscle cramps all over my body....both legs charly horsed at the same time. After that it has been very easy. Went to the doctor a couple of days before the 4 week mark. received an A+ but he felt I probably overdid. But have had the restrictions removed (like I really listened in the first place) BUT did tell my family that the Doctor has said to LISTEN to my body....if I am tired rest.....and to not Overdo....Anyway I am writing to tell you that if Laproscopic surgery is offered..It is a very easy recovery.

Oh also....the right side incision has been slower to heal than the other 2 inciision....because the muscle is involved on that side and it is the side where he performs the actually work part. Expect one side to hurt more and more frequently!

Thanks for this wonderful website and thank you for being there and so supportive.
Unread 01-11-2008, 10:12 AM

i agree with "getting away"... laparascopic surgery was a great choice! my original surgeon had scheduled me for a TAH. i got a second surgeon opinion and went with the LAVH.

the surgery and recovery have been a pleasant surprise in the ease of returning to walking and light household tasks.

all my best all the sisters during recovery... rest, eat healthy, walk when it's comfortable, listen to your body!!!
Unread 01-11-2008, 10:54 AM

I had major swelly-belly yesterday at week 4, but then I came across an AMAZNG discovery ....

One of my friends came over with a gormet-style dinner of salmon, noodles, wild rice soup, AND CANOLI

The next morning, my swelly belly was WAY DOWN.

So that's the CURE! Have your friends bring you gormet style dinners girls!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register