Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007 - Page 69 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007 Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007

Unread 01-21-2008, 07:27 AM
Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007

Hi Laides,

I am still creeping slowly along, but at least now it SEEMS I am turning the corner, though I am creeping around it.

I had a very slight discharge today that I might ask the nurse about. Also, I still have a swelly belly and a swollen ridge around the incision. My doctor said it was a "healing ridge", but it appears higher on one side than the other. I hope it doesn't stay that way, as it looks weird! I did have the hematoma, so I wonder if there is still fluid in there. He said that he doesn't want to drain it out, as he claims it increases the opportunity for infection. He says it will re-absorb, but I wonder how long I have to walk around with a little bag of fluid looking like a kangaroo?

I share your doctor frusrations. All I get is that "this is to be expected, this is part of it," etc, but it sure doesn't feel like it.

The good news is that, although I still have some pain, it is starting to go away and I noticed that I can walk better now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2008, 07:41 AM

Hi to all! I haven't been on in a while, just starting back with my online classes and staying a little more busy. Well I go back for my 6 week check-up Friday. I think everything is going good except that I STILL have a discharge, it's not smelly just varies in the amount from day to day. I thought that I would not ever have to wear a pad again after my surgery bleeding was over. But WRONG again. I am a little raw "down there" from the constant wearing of a pad. I apologize about that I just needed to vent a little.

I have been reading everyones posts and it is encouraging to read that we are all in this together and not alone with our various pains and aches. I am extremely nervous about going back to work. I am enjoying NOT working way too much I think.

Well ladies I hope that we remain in touch with one another. I have been extremely blessed by each and everyone of you.

Oh yeah, I have a question...... I have read some posts about May 10th, just wondering what that is about???

Much love, hugs and chocolate,
pinkwiley
Unread 01-21-2008, 09:18 AM

pinkwiley, May 10th is the 6 month anniversary of this thread..and it seemed like a good idea if we could return here then, to catch up with everyone's progress. I know I'd like to know everyone is okay..especially as people wander off and get back to normal life..
x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2008, 09:43 AM

Hello everyone...I too have been keeping up on the posts but have been working so much there has been no time to write.

This wed is my six month follow up and wouldn't you know it - i woke up with more spotting this morning. this is getting old. As some as you know I'm a potter and I'm dying to get back into the studio and making my own work. Th Dr. gave me strict instructions to stay out of the studio. I teach it for the money but I teach so that I can afford to do my own work. Anyway I keep seeing this spotting as set backs in my recovery and i'm frustrated. I mean I was doing so well at the start - heck - I was the first person to post on this thread - I was feeling great!

Jgtalk - "Creeping slowly along" is a great way to describe the healing process - I can relate to that!

Good luck on your first day to work Canadianrainbow!

Yes - today is MLK day and I'm off from my teaching position but could, if I wanted, go to that arts council I do work for and work for several hours on the computer there and make some extra money. I'm debating - should I take the opportunity to really rest or should I get some more money in the bank because I'm dying to quit my teaching position this spring. Hmmm

Sure feels good to be in my pajamas this morning...

I went out to dinner sat night with a bunch of girlfriends to celebrate a few birthdays and a funny thing happened. No one asked me how I was feeling but everyone just said "I'm glad you're feeling better" and the nice thing about that is I didn't have to talk about it. To tell you the truth - I'm SO SICK of talking to people (present company excluded of course!) about the hyst, my health, my recovery, how i'm feeling...etc. At first I thought "why are they assuming I feel so good" and felt a little strange about that. But I loved being able to just say "thanks...how are YOU"?

I feel so grateful for all of you to vent to and relate to and not feel guilty about whining. It is SOOOOO GREAT that we have this.

What would we have done 20 years ago? Driven our friends, families, and doctors crazy!
Unread 01-21-2008, 10:58 AM

I know what you're talking about Tammy. A friend took me out on Saturday for lunch..and when she brought me home she had this awful look on her face..not sure whether it was disappointment or pity..and when I asked her what was the matter, she just said that she'd expected me to be my old self before now and she was worried...bless.I ended up reassuring her..

I have male friends who I talk to..and thank goodness they aren't that keen on talking about the surgery..I wonder why..lol..and as I was chatting the other night I suddenly realised that I hadnt thought about the surgery for a whole hour..little victories..

Felt good at the weekend...2 days in jeans..swollen and back in sweats...again!sigh.

I keep reading posts from ladies who are just post-op, wish I could warn them about the length of time it all takes..surprised at how some people think it's going to be a breeze, but I guess that was me a few weeks ago..
x
Unread 01-21-2008, 11:42 AM

Hi!

How do we find our group at our May 10th anniversery? How do we look us up on the website? Can someone explain that to me? I get cyber-twisted sometimes.
Unread 01-21-2008, 11:59 AM

I've been thinking constantly about what it was like pre-web and most of all pre-thank-god-for-hystersisters. Women must have felt so alone and isolated, and I truly doubt that doctors would have provided much more info than they do now. How could they? We all know there are 5000 different outcomes in the first few post-op weeks. I have a 92-year old friend who to this day doesn't know if they took her ovaries out when she had her hyst 40 years ago. I can imagine that most women were left in utter darkness. How tragic. If there had been one honest book out there, how would they have even gotten their hands on it?

I shudder at times when I remember how frightened I was the weeks prior, and what pain I was in right after. Yes, the just-post-op realization that it's not going to be fast and easy is so huge and daunting, but we all had to go through it, didn't we? I think we all needed to find out for ourselves.

Tammy, I wish I could see your work, and I hope you can get your hands back in clay soon. As a painter, I share your frustration. I'm feeling SO restless, like a penned bull.

My big accomplishment this weekend was taking the ornaments off my xmas tree and packing them away. Little victories.

I saw Christiane Northrup on Oprah the other day & she spoke about women giving themselves permission to sleep a lot (which she does) when it's needed. So 2 nights in a row I've slept about 10 or 11 hours, which is huge for me. My body feels happy about it.

When friends ask now, I mostly say "I'm feeling better day by day, but I'm not out of the woods yet." Some men really get it, and some are totally clueless....I think they think it was like getting a tooth pulled.

Happy MLK day to you all.

In peace,

Siri
Unread 01-21-2008, 11:59 AM

Hello Ladies; I am "supposed" to go back to work today but will see my doctor today first to get the "all clear." I am worried because all around my belly button area it is pink and I am sore under there. My DH thinks I have a hernia. What do they do for a hernia???? All I know is that I bled last week -red- started to experience soreness there. When I called the doctor they said it was normal as I wrote before but it isn't getting better, it's getting worse. So, I will find out today.

Also, I hope to find out exactly why, despite my wishes, my ovaries were taken. I was told endometriosis and that's why he took them but I need to see some kind of "proof" because I was very very specific I wanted to keep them. I know I cannot bring them back, but I need more evidence that it was necessary for my peace of mind.

So, I am trying to decide if I should return to work this week or wait until next week when my soreness subsides under belly button. If it is a hernia, not sure what they'll do, but all I know is that logic tells me not to go back if I am still in pain or sore. I actually feel "guilty" about this. Go figure!
Unread 01-21-2008, 02:57 PM

So TL, have you been to the doctor yet? Interested to know what is wrong with you? Have heard a hernia is a possibility in recovery, but no one else seems to have suffered this yet. Wish you would give us a clue to your name..tinylibrarian is such a long nickname..lol

good question about finding the thread later on..will try and find out where these threads are put..there is still one going from October on the post-op thread..if a hostess is reading this - could you tell us when/where/if the threads are moved off post-op?
Unread 01-21-2008, 02:59 PM

ps..and feeling a bit competitive with the thread for the week after ours as they hit 1000 posts today..I thought we could chat..what on earth have they been talking about..lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register