Anyone meet the MD that assisted? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone meet the MD that assisted? Anyone meet the MD that assisted?

Unread 12-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Anyone meet the MD that assisted?

I was already on the table when I found out that another MD would be assisting my MD. I was then given the sleep meds. I never met him or got to get statistics on him. I don't know how many surgeries he has performed. Does the assisting doc cut on me? How do I know who actually did what? Am I wrong to ask for a report of the surgery? I feel like by the behavior of the MD that something happened, maybe nothing dire, but something none the less. Am I entitled to the report of my TAH? Why won't they let you meet the other MD way before surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2007, 08:35 AM

You absolutely have a right to your own medical records (which should include all surgery records). I actually met the doc that assisted my doc, but unfortunately, the assisting was the one who was responsible for the bladder sling. During the process of trying to "install" the sling, he perforated my bladder, which is why they had to convert a TVH to a TAH and I have to wear my catheter for 2 whole weeks! He's one of the 4 docs in practice with my doc and I know he has actually more experience than even my own doc, but I'm a bit annoyed. I know he didn't do it on purpose and he talked to me after surgery and apologized, but for some reason I think I could accept it better if the doc that I chose for my surgery was the one who made the mistake. I had no choice on who assisted, and it bothers me since the end result is a lot more pain and a longer recovery. Hang in there and be persistent about getting your records.
Unread 12-10-2007, 08:44 AM

There is always an assisting. Someone to hold other organs out of the way, etc. It's the norm. If there were complications, you would have been informed. You are not wrong to ask for a report but I wouldn't do it just because you were not given the surgical resume of your surgeons assistant. They ALL have one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2007, 11:34 AM

I didn;t know I would have one either....but when my doc came in to the prep room, I asked if she would be doing it alone. She said, no, she always has someone assist. I trust my doc so much that even if the assistant wasn't as good as her, I didn't care.
Unread 12-10-2007, 12:27 PM

The doctor that assisted my gyn during my surgery was my former gyn. He had performed my first bladder tack. I hope maybe he learned something that can prevent another woman like me from having to have a second bladder tack (his repair lasted less than 6 months). From what I've been told he's going to retire soon anyway.

Good luck to you!

Carol
Unread 12-10-2007, 02:34 PM

I wasn't trying to say I needed the records, because I want to make sure he has done itbefore....I just meant that it is my body and I feel I should know if the man who helpped with my surgery had a history of accidents and stuff. I know that isn't in the surgery report but I meant that I wanted it for incase something else goes wrong. Thanks for the advice. I actually thought nurses and such held organs or what have you. I didn't know there would be a second MD helping. I don't know much about that. I just want to see what happened. I had a mass on one of my ovaries they removed and never heard anything else about it. Just like it for my records. Thanks to all.
Unread 12-10-2007, 06:17 PM

I totally agree that one should be informed there will be someone assisting beforehand. It is very upsetting to have this "surprise" sprung upon you when you are already on your way to the OR and can't ask questions. I had no idea there would be a resident assisting with my surgery. It wasn't a teaching hospital. She (the resident) came in minutes before I was wheeled in to the OR and introduced herself and told me, "I'll be assisting Dr. X with your TVH." I was totally in shock and very upset. I consented to the TVH because my doctor had a very good record, reputation, and experience. There was no way I would have consented to let a resident do the procedure! NO WAY! I was in the same position as you, however, in that I was already hooked up to the "happy juice" and didn't get to ask questions. The same thing crossed my mind though as I drifted under, how much cutting is she going to do?

I did see her again after the procedure because she did a lot of the hospital care, and she was absolutely terrible. Who tells a patient before they remove the vaginal packing that this is going to hurt and feel like sandpaper being taken out. Nice!!! A great image to plant in a patient's mind. Not to mention she forgot to put a dosage on my pain medication at discharge and I couldn't get it filled for 8 hours while they tracked her down. I pray to God every night she just watched and handed instruments to my doctor!
Unread 12-10-2007, 06:21 PM

Balloueyes,

I got to meet my gyn's assistant before surgery. I had no idea I was having one either, and it did take me by surprise too. She was a god-send. She was the one sitting by my bed following surgery, and showed up the next morning first thing. I was so drugged up that I had no clue as to what her name was, but she did explain to my husband, and myself what had happened, and what the game plan was.

I think you should talk with your gyn about the surgery, and ask for your records. There is nothing wrong with that. If your gyn refuses this info. to you, then seek out a lawyer.

You have to remember surgery requires a team. The anesthisiologist is responsible for your life before you go under and during the surgery. The surgeon is responsible for the surgery, but cannot be responsible for how your body responds. Just remember that you have the ultimate control over your body, and you have to be the one to make the decision about who is going to do what to it. By signing the consent form for surgery, you are agreeing to do whatever the surgeon requires or wants. They are the pilot, the assistant is the co-pilot, and the anesthiologist is the navigator.

I hope this helps. Surgery is not fun at all.

Blessings all around.
Unread 12-10-2007, 07:34 PM

Hi there. I actually work with my assistant surgery (he's my business partner). I think the way this worked was that I came back from my appointment, said I needed a hyster and he said, "Can I do the assist?" and I immediately said, "We work together all day long. Quit creeping me out." Then, thought the better of it and decided it would be nice to have a friendly set of eyes and ears in the OR.

In any major surgery, the doc will always have an assist and it's so common that they don't usually remember to tell lay people. I agree with the other posters that it's not fair. You should know who's going to lay hands on you. The assists can also do as little or as much as the surgeon asks them to do. In my case, the assist did a lot as he's an experienced surgeon and my two docs knew each other well. (I guess at one point they were both "yanking" on my uterus to get it out... so much for the Gray's Anatomy version where everything just slips right out.)

In all cases, the liability for your surgery rests solely on your surgeon's head. That means he or she is responsible for the actions of the assistant surgeon in the room. It goes under the surgeon's medical liability insurance and also to the peer quality review they undergo as a credentialed hospital surgeon. What does this mean to you? It means that no surgeon would let someone unqualified into the room with them. Even surgical residents spend a lot of time looking and start training gradually.

While it's a little creepy to be surprised, please rest a little bit assured that even if your surgeon was only looking out for his or her best interest, it was all in your best interest. By the way, you would also never want to have a major surgery without an assist. If something goes wrong, you always want another qualified pair of hands to be able to jump in.
Unread 12-10-2007, 08:16 PM

Thank you all....that is a comfort to know. Sometimes I think I just hurt so bad and said let's do this surgery and ask questions later...I think of all of this in my "Spare" time. I probably should have asked first but, like I had said I really didn't know. I am sharing this site with my sister who will be needing one later on. She has Endometriosis, but is very young.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register