Anyone meet the MD that assisted? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone meet the MD that assisted? Anyone meet the MD that assisted?

Unread 12-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Anyone meet the MD that assisted?

It wasn't that I didn't expect there to be an assistant surgeon in my case, I've had enough surgeries to know there would be. What I didn't expect was a resident to appear minutes before to tell me they would assist. We do have a hospital in our city that does have a residency program and it would not be uncommon to have a resident participate in your care. The hospital I was at, however, does not have a history of participating in resident training, so this totally came out of the blue. I would not expect my doctor to tell me there would be an assistant surgeon, but if he knew there would be a resident participating in the surgery and aftercare, then I think he should have informed me of this at my pre-op appointment. At the very least, he should have told me when he came to talk to me before surgery and not let her ambush me as I was being put under. He had already gone to scrub in, so perhaps he didn't know she was going to do that (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2007, 10:52 AM

I met mine the morning of surgery.

yes you can ask for a copy of the surgery report and of the pathology report.
Unread 12-11-2007, 03:05 PM

I did not meet the dr who assisted my gyn dr before surgery. I kind of found that strange but I trust my dr and knew he would only have the best. He did say his name a few times.

So my last office visit I was walking by the assisting dr's office and he was in there and I introduced myself! I told him "Now if the insurance co asks if I saw a Dr ___, I can say yes" He seemed very nice but I think I caught him off guard! HA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2007, 03:08 PM

I didn't meet mine either. But it was the same dr that my dr was going to refer me to if I wanted a second opinion (which I did not feel I needed). So it was nice, I knew the assisting was actually a gyn further specializing in oncology and if my dr trusted him, I was ok too.
Unread 12-11-2007, 08:32 PM

I am a member of a large hmo. The hmo's hospital where I had my surgery is a teaching hospital. I anticipated having residents and medical students around. My first meeting with the surgeon, she was accompanied by 4 residents and 2 medical students. I was in a sheet. She introduced them all by name and year in school, and asked if they could observe.

(I am a social worker. I mentor 2 graduate students each school year, and have been doing so for more than a dozen years. I figured it was my karma to have a flotilla of students. And I wanted them to know that a patient is a person, with feelings and not just another organ.....so.....)

My response was "no problem, however in keeping with the ' see one, do one, teach one' motto of medical school, my case will have to be the 'see one'. "

The surgeon was delighted, and everyone laughed. I explained why I said it, and I gotta tell you, when I was rolled into surgery, there was a crowd of residents and students.

My doctor assured me that she was performing surgery, with the "Fellow" assisting, and the 4th year resident also assisting, all the others were taking notes.

After surgery, those residents made frequent visits to my bedside, as did the medical students to see how I was doing. I got so much great attention from young doctors who I hope got a good experience out of my case, and maybe humanized them just a bit by taking the time to talk to each one of them about their plans for their career.
Unread 12-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Meeting doctors pre-op

While being prepped I met a lot of people. I also asked a lot of questions of them. I met an MD who was doing her residency in gyn/oncology at the hospital. She told me she would be in the room with the surgeon. I felt this was a good thing and frankly didn't expect my surgeon to be unassisted. I also met a young medical student who was doing rotations. This is the part of medical school where they work for a period of time in various specialties. He introduced himself to me in the pre-op and then I asked him if he was planning to watch my procedure. He said that he was and wondered if I minded. I think had I not asked him, he would have been in the room observing anyway. He was very nice and I felt it would be helpful for a person in training to watch. He did not assist. He did, however, come and visit me the next day in the hospital. Besides the resident and student, there was a nurse anethesist and an MD-anethesist in the operating room. Quite a busy place. I'm glad I was asleep.

You seem to think something may have gone wrong. Are you having medical problems or are you unnerved by the fact that you weren't told in advance?

I obtained the surgical notes from my doctor. There were no problems, but this is just something I do to keep in my files. I asked him directly for a copy at the six week checkup. He was happy to make a copy for me.

Good luck!
Unread 12-12-2007, 02:36 PM

Josephine Rose--- Yes I am having a few problems. I am also shocked because I actually did not know someone was helping....I mean I feel dumb, but that's the truth. My left side is still hurting and swollen a bit. I started bleeding again today and burning inside my VAG area and tummy area on the left side. It feels hot inside my tummy. The blood was brown colored before but it is now bright red and more than before. This is on and off but gets worse each time. I called the MD but they closed at lunch today and won't resume until tomorrow, so they set me up then. I am just freaking out, because I want this to be over and the pain to stop. The Aleve isn't helping enough. Also he told my DH that there was a mass on my Ovary and that it was being sent out for testing. He hasn't told me anything about that yet...so I am nervous. Also with my bladder going hay wire, I am just being pessamistic. I just want to know if what I went through was normal. Asking questions and having others who have been through it is relaxing. Thanks for the input.
Unread 12-12-2007, 08:15 PM

Hi Sisters!

Just wanted to add my input on this interesting thread. At my pre-op appt. my doctor explained to me and my hubby that another ob/gyn was always present in the OR with him when he does his surgeries. And not just him either, if neurosurgeon another neurosurgeon is in the OR with that doctor. That is standard practice at our hospitals here. He explained it like this, "If the doctor was to have a heart attack or something else during surgery, another doctor of the same type would be right there to complete your surgery." Just another way to look at here.
Best of luck to all my sisters!
Hugs and Merry Christmas!!
Unread 12-12-2007, 11:36 PM

I learned about the "assistant" at my pre-op. I was given an itemized sheet showing my gyno's charges and the assistant's charges. I was surprised to see my gyno only made $1600 on my TAH and the assistant made $300. Doesn't that seem cheap? What did the assistant do for $300, sew me up?
Unread 12-13-2007, 03:57 PM

The doctor that assisted my surgeon was my gyne who had referred me to him (oncologist). I didn't like my surgeon at all. He's a talented doctor, but his personality and mine are exact opposites. I figure I don't have to like the guy for him to fix me up, and I trust my Gyne with my life, so as long as she was there, I was OK with it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register