Terrible gas pains ~ anyone else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Terrible gas pains ~ anyone else? Terrible gas pains ~ anyone else?

Unread 12-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Terrible gas pains ~ anyone else?

I had LSH December 5th. I am home and recovering well. My recovery has been easier than I expeced. The worse part for me has been the trapped gas in my chest and shoulders. It is terrible. I am walking and taking my gas pills. Is anyone else having a hard time with this as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2007, 02:26 PM

Mine is out of my shoulders and into my abdomen, it is killer! I am taking gas x and today I walked down to the end of the block and back and finally had a good BM.....it hurts....how else are you doing?
Unread 12-10-2007, 02:49 PM

are you constipated? if you havent gone to the bathroom, try taking some milk of magnesia to get things moving. the gas from the lap just takes time to dissolve..gas-x doesnt help with that type of gas. i was in a lot of pain right after my lsh from gas..it was my first lap surgery and i was shocked! it will dissolve over time...try to keep up the walking. i am glad you are recovering well other than the gas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2007, 05:06 PM

Hi Ladies,
I agree, the gas is bad but having a BM is the worst! It is so painful. I am almost 2 weeks post op and feeling worst the past few days than when I came home from the hospital. To make matters even worst I started urinated blolod over the weekend, my doc is out of town so the doc covering told me to go the emergency room. Five hours later I was told it was a bladder infection and sent home with antibiotics. My appetite is still not normal, I'm forcing myself to eat to avoid the nausea. On the flip side my dh has been wonderful, my son not so nice. I want to feel better so badly. Not so I can run the streets but so I can at least feel like putting on clothes! I hope everyone is feeling better. Maybe a c-section doesn't seem as awful because the focus is on someone else after that surgery.
Justonian
Unread 12-10-2007, 05:31 PM

I know this sounds crazy but I am actually looking forward to a BM...even if it is painful. I know it will resolve the pressure issues I'm having....

Here's to passing gas...in a good way!
Unread 12-10-2007, 05:52 PM

Hey there. I had several laparscopic surgeries.........including my hyst. Every single one of them gave me awful gas pain/pressure in my shoulders and neck afterward. The gas they use to expand your abdomen during surgery rises and gets trapped in your shoulders and neck. I found that heating pad helped a LOT. I also had to "piggy back" my percoset with ibuprofen (per doctors orders). The percoset by itself was not enough, I was in tears from this pain (the abdominal pain was nothing compared to this). She had me take percoset, then two hours later, ibuprofen, then two hours later, percoset, then two hours later, ibuprofen...........this was the only thing that gave me relief, in addition to the heating pad.

Talk to your doctor about this.

For me, it lasted about a week to ten days after my hysterectomy. Hope you get some relief soon!

Christine
Unread 12-10-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ybsad
I know this sounds crazy but I am actually looking forward to a BM...even if it is painful. I know it will resolve the pressure issues I'm having....

Here's to passing gas...in a good way!

This gas in your shoulders and neck is not the same as intestinal gas, it will not go away with a bowel movement.....see above.
Unread 12-10-2007, 06:10 PM

Hello Ladies,

I too had severe gas pains in the abdomen 3 days after surgery. It lasted approximately 6 hours. 6 hours of moaning, crying out loud and lying in the fetal position. I was so constipated and tried the Milk of Magnesia but it only made it worse. The next morning called the doctor and they suggested walking more with a light laxative. I was already taking 800 mg of motrin twice a day along with the Dol-Q-Lace. My sister gave me an old fashioned remedy that I am still using to this day. PRUNE JUICE. Works like a charm. I even bought some of the dried fruit. It really is not that bad. Good Luck!
Trish - TVH
Unread 12-10-2007, 07:12 PM

GasX is wonderful, too.
Unread 12-10-2007, 08:38 PM

After an EKG and Chest X-ray, I was given three suppostories which produced approximately 10 toots each. I really needed 30-40 toots. After the Abdominal X-ray, two additional suppostories and finally an enema, I was able to have a bowel movement and relieved the pain of almost two days. I seriously thought I was going to die! Since I have arrived home, I have taken stool softeners twice a day. For me it has helped and has made the gas manageable and bowel movements pain free. Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.

SAH for two massive fibroids, vertical 9 inch incision. 40 years old

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register