How much ibuprofin can I take? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much ibuprofin can I take? How much ibuprofin can I take?

Unread 12-10-2007, 06:13 PM
How much ibuprofin can I take?

I am 2 weeks post op, and the pain pills the dr. gave me (darvocet) kinda make me ill to my stomach. I don't feel I need strong meds anymore. How much ibuprofin can I take and not go over the limit?
Thanks!
Grace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2007, 06:36 PM

Grace, I certainly cannot replace a doctor or pharmacist's recommendation - but I can tell you that I've been prescribed as much as 800mg ibuprofen at a time. Why don't you give your pharmacy a call for input?
Unread 12-10-2007, 06:58 PM

I would call your doctor for further direction. There are "standard" limits out there, I think -- but some patients should take significantly LESS than those limits.

Ibuprofen can do serious damage to your internal organs, and it's nothing to fool around with. Safest thing would be to either consult your doc or (as the other sister said) your pharmacist.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2007, 06:59 PM

Grace, My prescription for iduprofem 800mg 3 times daily. Darvocet is giving me some of the same problems. Look up darvocet site and look for side effects. Gives you some ideas of how to help. Oh a problem with this much iduprofem is the runs!!!!
I hope you get some relief. Call your doctor!!!
Princess3
Unread 12-10-2007, 07:03 PM

I was given 800 mg.
Unread 12-10-2007, 07:04 PM

Grace,

I know this sounds silly, but be very careful with ibuprofin. I'd talk to your doc. It has some pretty hefty side effects.
Unread 12-10-2007, 07:36 PM

ibuprofin is a blood thinner so be careful
Unread 12-10-2007, 07:55 PM

I second the advise above -- regardless of what has been prescribed for each of us at various time, you should never exceed the amounts written on the bottle without speaking to your physician first. Over the counter pain medications can affect not only the stomach but also your kidneys and liver.

I hope you and your doctor can find a treatment plan that works well for you! in there! s
Unread 12-10-2007, 08:08 PM

Thank you!
Last time I called the dr. it took them 6 days to get back with me, and I am only 2 weeks post op. That's why I asked you dear ladies. I will call my pharmacist for advice. Actually, I have gone days without taking anything, so I may just go without.
Thank you all again!!!!!
Grace
Unread 12-11-2007, 10:29 AM

Maximum dose is 4000mg a day or liver damage can occur with extended use. 800mg every 6 hours x 4 = 3200 mg/day. It can cause GI bleeding - if your stools look dark or tar like call the Dr. It is also helps with inflammation. Not a good idea to drink alcohol and take Ibuprofin. Call your pharmacist - they are so helpful.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register