Feel Great except Bowel Pain - Help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feel Great except Bowel Pain - Help! Feel Great except Bowel Pain - Help!

Unread 12-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Feel Great except Bowel Pain - Help!

Hi All,

I'm now 5 weeks out today and finally I'm feeling great! I worked a full day yesterday and it was so good. The only issue I have is - and I appologize in advance as this is probably TMI - the mornings are when I usually have a BM. During say the 15-20 minutes where it is working it's way down - blush - I double over with pain. Really it is agonizing. Once I go it's fine, but it is SO painful in the time before that I actaully do double over, I'm sweating UGH! This is really the only pain I have left. I don't actually think it is my bowel that hurts I think it is the surgery site but I'm not sure. At the end of a long day I might be a bit sore, but that is the only actaul pain. Help - is this happening to anyone else?

Thanks,

Starbgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2007, 07:47 AM

I am having the same thing. I have to hold on to the side of the tub. It really does hurt. I also wake real bloated in the am which is real umcomfortable. I continue to take a stool softner and am drinking a lot of water. Does anyone know how long this discomfort will last?
Unread 12-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Morning Bloating and Gas Pains

Im Eleven days out. HYS. Im still having those same issues sometimes. I usually awake in awful amounts of pain due to bloating but once i get up and move around a bit it seems to dissapate. The BM's are a problem once in awhile but I am still taking meds to help for those like every other day. Still I would have to agree the gas pain is horrible but in time I know this will pass as have other symptoms of this surgery. I think the biggest positive thing for me was the limitation of my pain meds. With less pain meds I have less bloating and less constipation. Less medication is not a choice for everyone, but for me it was the best choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2007, 08:44 AM

I'm 7 days post-op and am experiencing the same problem. I break out into a cold sweat while I'm sitting on the toilet trying to go. Although the pain is different, it almost feel like giving birth every time I have to go. I feel SO much better afterward, but the process itself is agonizing. I'm taking Miralax, stool softeners, drinking lots of water, and eating fresh fruits & veggies. I'm not exactly constipated because I'm going regularly, it's just that it's very painful when I go. I certainly hope this resolves before too long. Good luck to all of you.
Unread 12-11-2007, 09:05 AM

You describe just what happens to me....I think it is normal. It hurts like hell to poop! I actually had a soft one this morning (sorry, TMI).....and it felt so much better so maybe it will continue to be good. Maybe since I am one day earlier, tomorrow will be your soft poo day!!
Unread 12-11-2007, 02:27 PM

I had the same pain but it is getting so much better. I am 4 wks post op. I had to do like LaMaz breathing sometimes! What was strange to me is that it happened every morning at 7:15 am. You could almost set your clock to it.

They had to move my bowels around to get my ovaries and enlarged uterus out. I think my pain comes from everything settling down and finding a new place to call home.

It has gotten much better. Since I am moving about more I only have a few seconds of pain rather than several waves of pain at a time like I had a few weeks ago.

Hang in there I am pretty sure it will go away!
Unread 12-11-2007, 03:23 PM

I just wanted to mention another option to laxatives, if you haven't already tried it. My doctor had suggested that rather than do any oral stool softeners or laxatives, I should try a Dulcolax suppository to get things moving.

I haven't had to try one, but thought I'd put it out there as something else to try.
Unread 12-11-2007, 06:09 PM

Thanks everyone - comfortable lady your surgery date is close to mine except I was a week before you. I have passed the immediate post op constipation / pain issues. I am not constipated at all it's just when my normal daily BM's move down. I'm glad to hear yours is getting better. I did have some complications so maybe I'm just delayed in improving in that area. I sure hope so because in the next week I have some early appointments on my calendar and it is going to be embarrasing if I am writhing on the floor - LOL!!
Unread 12-11-2007, 08:24 PM

I am glad to hear I am not a freak and this is fairly normal. I too had several things shifted and moved during the surgery. Tons of adhesive tissue removed from my bladder and some from my bowels.
Unread 12-12-2007, 02:46 AM

hey there my dr said to take something called "lactulose" for the first 4 weeks, it tastes ok and makes the BM so much easier. i have suffered with bad gas for the first 5 weeks and it still occurs if i drink anything carbonated.
hope this helps

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register