Feel Great except Bowel Pain - Help! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feel Great except Bowel Pain - Help! Feel Great except Bowel Pain - Help!

Unread 12-12-2007, 05:08 AM
Feel Great except Bowel Pain - Help!

As for the Dulcolax suppository that Tam mentioned, I can attest that they do work. They gave me one on day 3 at the castle because I was so constipated that I felt nauseous. The nurse instructed me to "hold it (suppository) in as long as I could stand it" for the best results. I think I made it 25 minutes. It definitely got things moving. I haven't had a huge problem getting things moving at home, but it's just SO painful that I can hardly stand it. Best of luck to all of you. I'm sure with time that this too shall pass (no pun intended).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2007, 09:36 AM

I too had intense pain (cold sweats, tunnel vision, fainting) with bowel movements in the first couple of weeks. My pain has gradually become less with time (I'm at week 6 postop). I am completely off pain meds now but am still making sure I get fiber (Benefiber) with plenty of water and fruits/veggies. I still have the rare painful BM but they are settling down to only slightly uncomfortable at this point. Hang in there ladies - it will get better - if I'm an example of what is typical.
Unread 12-12-2007, 09:46 AM

I'm 16 days post op and I'll still eating 1/3 cup of All Bran Buds in my yogurt every morning plus I take one stool softner and just like clock work, I go without too much strain at all. Try that, it just might help.

Have a great recovery day today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2007, 09:50 AM

This has been the hardest part of recovery for me also.My TAH was dec.5th. I hadn't really had much pain except I was starting to hurt yesterday(I hadn't even had a BM yet) Last night I actually had my first one and 2 more after(TMI). My son (who is 18)Thought I was crazy...I was celebrating..lol. I actullay slept until 10:15 this morning. I feel so much better. I had been using the stool softeners, but I have also been eating oats, bran cereal..etc. I know this is something that will be different for us all,Good Luck and I will Keep you in my prayers.
Unread 12-12-2007, 10:01 AM

I forgot to ask my doc, how long can we be on stool softeners? Is there a risk for prolonged use?
Unread 12-12-2007, 12:18 PM

my gynae said to use them for the first 4 weeks which i did and i found that just cutting down gradually in week 5 still helped. now i am week 6 and its not a problem, by now most muscles are getting back in order.
hope this helps have a wonderful day and dont forget to pamper the princess, you are worth it
Unread 12-17-2007, 01:27 PM
bowel pain

Thanks to whoever suggested suppositories. My first week after TAH I couldn't have made it without those. One dose really got things moving. Only prob now besides gas is hemorrhoid attack. Mine were on fire last night. Any ideas?
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:21 PM

I had a TAH on 12/5 and I am having the exact same problem. I am not consipated at all, it just hurts A LOT as the stool is moving through the instestine/bowel. How are you feeling now? I go to my 2-week check-up in 3 days, and I plan on asking the Dr. about this pain. By the way, I also experience the same pain (not quite as bad) at the end of urinating.

I hope you are doing OK.
Unread 12-17-2007, 05:04 PM

EM cooks - It has been I guess about a week since I asked that question and this IS getting better!! Yea!! Some days are still worse than others BUT some days it is finally pain free! Whoopee!!

Hang in there!!

Starbgirl
Unread 12-17-2007, 08:56 PM

Anyone else eating prunes? No kidding, it does help... I notice if I forget to eat some.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register