discharge....again | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

discharge....again discharge....again

Unread 12-11-2007, 10:25 AM
discharge....again

OK, so today I'm feeling a bit better than the past few days and "what to my wandering eyes should appear" when I go to the bathroom? No, not a sleigh and 8 tiny reindeer. More discolored discharge. I went to the dr for this a few weeks ago and ended up getting silver nitrated for some granulation tissue. I figured that's what the discharge was from then. Now I have it again. It's tannish brownish and doesn't have a horrible odor, but kind of a coppery odor similar to blood. I can't imagine what it is if it's not blood though.

I've already called my dr's office and am currently waiting for the nurse to call me back. I didn't want to call. I don't want to go back in again. Do I have abdominal pain? Well that is an interesting question as I've had abdominal pain for a few years on and off. I guess I do have some, but funny - I didn't notice it until AFTER I noticed the discharge. Huh.

Kinda wondering if I made the right choice in having this surgery. It's wonderful not to bleed for weeks and not to have horrid cramping, but............shouldn't it end now? What's left to bleed??? Sure I have one ovary, but I'm sewed up inside. Nothing should be getting out!

hmmm.......oh yeah. I have abdominal pain. It's getting a little worse as I type. I've had this pain before ---- the day I had my other ovary emergently removed. But, on the other hand, it also feels like I need to have a BM, so I can't be sure. It felt like that on that day as well. Until I couldn't take it anymore.

Oh, why won't this just END!

Anyone else with similar issues???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2007, 10:54 AM
discharge....again

[quote=ScrapperJen]

Kinda wondering if I made the right choice in having this surgery. It's wonderful not to bleed for weeks and not to have horrid cramping, but............shouldn't it end now? What's left to bleed??? Sure I have one ovary, but I'm sewed up inside. Nothing should be getting out!

QUOTE]

Hi, I'm only 1 week postop so nothing insightful to say BUT...don't question your decision to have the surgery! 1. It's already done so questioning yourself will only upset you. 2. Remember what you went through before the surgery and that should aswer your question! I'm sure none of us took this decision lightly and most of us have been in pain for years so we have to believe that we made the best decision possible.

Hang in there and keep us updated!
Unread 12-11-2007, 11:00 AM
discharge....again

Jen, When I had silver nitrate in the past for other procedures (leep and cryo) i also had the brownish coppery discharge a week or so after. It is the silver nitrate stuff coming out. I know that sounds gross, but it stays up there until our body gets rid of it. I think you will be ok. I know I am not a doctor, just giving my experience. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
Janelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2007, 12:22 PM
discharge....again

I thought of that, but it's been 4-5 weeks since that was done if I'm remembering correctly. Should I still be having that? How long does it stick around in there? I did have a lot of grey discharge a couple days afterwards and they assured me that it was from the nitrate. This is the color of the discharge I had that brought me into his office again in the first place.

I know it's over and done with so there's nothing I can do about it. It's just frustrating that I'm still having issues 3 months later. But I do see that many people on this board are having much worse issues than I am and are a lot longer out from surgery than I am. Just feeling sorry for myself and frustrated today I guess. Very anxious to see the rheumatologist in a few weeks.
Unread 12-11-2007, 01:33 PM
discharge....again

Well, I'm "discharging" right along with you! Had my TAH/BSO on 10/15 and had my internal 6 week exam along with that stupid silver nitrate stuff and have been dripping ever since. Purely disgusting.

Then this past Saturday I started seeing bright red blood again - no clots though. The silver nitrate caused me more trouble that I had to start with - then it was only a tiny, tiny bit of pink. I should have kept my mouth shut and not told the Dr. !!!

I'm sick and tired of this - still sore, crampy, and swelly belly, too. UGH!
Unread 12-11-2007, 01:37 PM
discharge....again

Well if you're feeling sorry for yourself, please reserve me a seat right next to you. I too have serious doubts about my decision, with all I've gone through. I find myself questioning whether it was really worth it. And like you, I get tired of calling the doc, because I only ever call when I know something is wrong, and therefore, if I'm going to break down and call over something that most others would have turn out to be benign, it's going to mean a trip to the ER for me, I'm just sure of it! See -- I'm so out of it, I just wrote the world's longest run-on sentence!!

I personally have no idea what it could be. Could you keep us posted on what the doc says?
d.
Unread 12-11-2007, 02:03 PM
discharge....again

I haven't heard of this before, what is the silver nitrate for?
Unread 12-11-2007, 02:31 PM
discharge....again

Linc,
if your vaginal cuff doesn't quite heal properly, you may require cauterization, which is done with silver nitrate. Hope that helps!
d.
Unread 12-11-2007, 02:49 PM
discharge....again

Jen, I am in the pity party right next to you. We had our surgeries at the same time and we are both having issues. If you remember I had the vaginal cuff repair surgery on Oct. 29th so I am still healing from that. On top of it I now have terrible pains when my bladder is even half full! I also get pains in my rectum from my bladder, if that makes any sense. So go ahead and vent. We deserve it. We have been through a lot and we can only stay sane for so long! I will be praying for you. Please let us know what you find out. I hope it isn't some more granulation tissue. the silver nitrate sucks!
Janelle
Unread 12-11-2007, 03:18 PM
discharge....again

Let's not all forget, too, that we're supposed to be happy, chipper, full of energy, and in the Christmas spirit according to everyone else!!

I cannot believe I was stupid enough to schedule this surgery before two major holidays....and my surgery was elective!

WHAT WAS I THINKING??!! LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register