6 wks post-op question???help please... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 wks post-op question???help please... 6 wks post-op question???help please...

Unread 12-11-2007, 06:49 PM
6 wks post-op question???help please...

Hi ladies
I have a question I'll be 6 wks p/o on Thursday, I have an appointment to see my dr. for a wound check on Friday then I won't see him again untill Jan. 2,08. Today I asked him when I would be able to go back to work and he said not 'til after the 2nd. He has not mentioned a pelvic exam or when I should do housework or anything.
My question is , should I ask him for a post-op exam or wait until I see him on the 2nd.
My other question, all thou embarrased what about the ummm... sex? Should I ask, I'm real shy when it comes to it.

Should I wait since he does not want me working until the beginning of the year. I'm so confused.
I appreciate all the help. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2007, 07:36 PM

Usually sex is resumed after an internal exam and all checks out ok on the inside. If you are seeing your DR regarding your wound check, he may not think about the "intimate" question. Ask him. He has heard this numerous times so try hard not to be embarrassed. Know that he hears this questions and many others like it on a daily basis. Don't be shy......he can handle it. Good luck on Friday. I hope all is healing well for you.
C
Unread 12-11-2007, 08:16 PM

Last time I was in for a wound check, I asked the "Fellow" (last year of residency) if anyone was going to check out the internal stuff down there? He looked up from wound duty and said "no one's checked your cuff ?" uh no.

So he did. Don't be embarrased. it's just another part of the body. Ask. Get it all checked out. Knowing that everything is ok is a great feeling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2007, 12:55 PM

Thanks Ladies
I'll let you know what he says to me on Friday.
Unread 12-12-2007, 02:54 PM

Hey Princess G

I'm off for my appointment in an hour and I have 9 full on questions to ask. From driving to sex and everything in between. Please don't be embarrassed you need to know everything you can so you can be fully informed about whatever decision you have to make.

Each person is different but I'll let you know what mine does and says!

Big Hug
Unread 12-12-2007, 03:47 PM

Hi Woobie1,
Let us know how your doing, did he do a pelvic exam, did he clear you for every activity?
Good luck
Unread 12-12-2007, 10:16 PM

Hi Ladies,

Survived my first 'internal invasion'... (wink wink) and have come away with a clean bill of health and the green light on all activities. This is gonna be long so grab a cup of tea!

I was SO scared of having that pelvic, honestly I didn't understand why some of the ladies weren't getting them. I really would have thought the docs would check the status of the cuff to make sure all was healing okay. Obviously each person's doctor and healing is completely different, so here's my details. He kept talking and talking and I was like COME ON... get the **** speculum in and let's get this overwith!!! Honestly it wasn't any worse than a usual pap I think I was just so tense because the area has been so sore obviously and I was afraid of what it would feel like when he started poking around. I can say it was fun and it felt uncomfortable but it really didn't hurt for me. He said it really very nicely healed up and tender to the touch so all's good.

These were the questions I asked and the answers I got (bearing in mind this is my experience):

Q. Do I still need a pap?
A. (though I kinda figured with no cervix no pap, I needed to make sure) He said no.

Q. Can I drive?
A. He said I could have driven a long time ago.

Q. Can I have a bath?
A. He said I could have had a bath a long time ago.

Q. Can I have sex?
A. He said I could have had sex a long time ago.....

I then jumped in here and told him that after what I'd read and been told that it was better to wait until my 6 week check up to get the all clear to do these things. Here I am thinking I could have started my life a lot sooner but he said better to be safe than sorry. And his basic line of thinking was I could do it if it didn't hurt. Which when you think about it makes sense but he said it was good that I asked first.

Q. How long do I have to stay on HRT (I'm on .625 Premarin)
A. He said that because I was at least 10 years off from hitting normal menopause and he really wasn't concerned with the chances of breast cancer for me but more concerned with osteoperosis (I'm pretty small) I was to stay on the Premarin until further notice. We talked about it for a while and I also talked to my partner when we got home. I really don't like taking medication but we figured the pros outweighed the cons on this one and as long as I keep getting mammograms I should be fine.

Q. How many stitches if any do I have left?
A. He said by now I had none and he couldn't see anything during the internal. I had one that used to stick out from the incision but it's al gone as well.

Q. Can I have a copy of my path / surgery report?
A. They are going to copy one for me and send it out.

Q. How did everything go during surgery / did you get everything?
A. Again he spoke of how bad it all was and was sorry I had been living with this for so long. Said he took a good look around in the 'cavity' and was happy with all the hard work that took place. Said that the minute bits of endo that were left would be eradicated once the Premarin kicked in and he fully believed it would not return.

Well.... that's me. According to him, all done and starting on the road to a whole new happy and healthy life.

Something I wish for everyone else here!!

xxxx
Unread 12-13-2007, 01:37 AM

glad to hear that you asked the questions that we all thought..... good to see another aussie kicking around. i am glad that all has gone well for you.
big hugs
Jenny

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register