Can Progesterone Cream really help? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can Progesterone Cream really help? Can Progesterone Cream really help?

Unread 12-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Can Progesterone Cream really help?

Hi All. Am new and not sure how to do this but here it goes. Had hysto 09/26/07 and not on HRT or BRT. Am concerned with "surgical menopause" and how it will affect me, eg, osteoporosis. I have heard that OTC natural progesterone cream (like Natural Women) alone can help with this and other menopausal symptoms. Is this so even for TAH and removal of ovaries? Or do I also need estrogen in some form as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2007, 08:31 PM

I started OTC progesterone cream 3 weeks ago and it helped me with sleeping. I do take a very small dose of estrogen. It helps to balance the estrogen. I'm not sure if you can do it alone or not. I've heard that others said that it helps with hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms. Hopefully someone will come along that will know more. Kathy
Unread 12-12-2007, 04:59 AM

I started with progesterone cream which is the natural compound prescription form a few weeks after surgery and it has been very effective in controlling my hot flashes and night sweats. The doctor also mentioned it would help with my sleeping which I found not to be the case. Hope this helps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2007, 10:13 AM

I've only been using natural progesterone cream for about a week, so I can't really tell if it's doing any good or not. At the same place I bought it from (on line) they were also selling phyto estrogen cream, so I got some of that too.

I don't know that progesterone will particularly help with osteoprosis, but it is supposed to help with hot flashes and mood swings. For the osteo problem I am also taking calcium tablets. I'm drinking lots of soy milk for its' phyto estrogen supplement too.

You can read more about natural progesterone at http://www.npis.info/index.htm

I feel very cheated that no one told me before my hyst about all the problems that surgical menopause can cause. I had been diagnosed with cancer and was obsessed with hunting down information about that. My dr told me I would be "fine" after the op, despite that fact that she refuses to give me HRT. It's only because I haven't been fine that I started reading about all the problems that having no ovaries can cause.
Unread 12-12-2007, 03:56 PM

Thanks to all for the information. I was just wondering because someone suggested a natural OTC progesterone cream and said it would help with the osteoporosis (a big concern for me). I too feel very cheated as I was not informed about all the problems that surgical menopause brings with it. One question for Humming Bird: is that OTC estrogen or is it prescription? Still looking for answers.
Unread 12-12-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi883
Thanks to all for the information. I was just wondering because someone suggested a natural OTC progesterone cream and said it would help with the osteoporosis (a big concern for me). I too feel very cheated as I was not informed about all the problems that surgical menopause brings with it. One question for Humming Bird: is that OTC estrogen or is it prescription? Still looking for answers.
Hi Heidi,

The estrogen is prescription, Enjuvia. I take the smallest dose. I think you can do an estrogen cream of some sort but I think that is prescription too. The only otc cream I do is progesterone. Sorry, didn't mean to mislead you. I hope you can find the right things to take so you can feel balanced. It's a lot of trail and error, but don't give up. Kathy
Unread 12-13-2007, 04:06 PM

Hi Hummingbird,
thanks for your prompt reply. Just one more question. Can OTC progesterone cream be used alone or would I need to use it in conjunction with estrogen? Anyone's feedback is appreciated.
Unread 12-13-2007, 04:25 PM

Heidi, I'm not sure about using otc progesterone alone. I can't imagine it being a bad thing but don't want to steer you wrong. I hope someone else comes along that would know the answer to that question.
Unread 12-14-2007, 07:01 PM

yes,

Natural progesterone cream can help. It can take some time to see a difference, but what works well for one person may not work the same for another.

A suggestion .. if you are going to use natural progesterone cream I highly recommend Dr John Lee's book what your doctor may not tell you about menopause.

There is also a natural estrogen creme. It isn't as strong as prescription estrogen.

Best of luck to you
Unread 12-15-2007, 03:14 PM

mrsdolittle
thank you. I thought I was the only one that had come across this information so I was beginning to question if it could be true. The woman who recommended it based it on Dr. John Lee's extensive work and book. The reason I ask is due to the fact that I had a TAH/BSO, am not on hrt nor bhrt therefore, no estrogen (unless there's still some stored up inside me or adrenal glands are producing - don't know much about this). This woman assured me the progesterone cream would be good (w/o estrogen) and based on Dr. Lee's research, it is recommended for osteoporosis. Don't know if I can mention the product name. Anybody can jump in please.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register