Questions post total laparoscopic hysterectomy 12/10 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions post total laparoscopic hysterectomy 12/10 Questions post total laparoscopic hysterectomy 12/10

Unread 12-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Questions post total laparoscopic hysterectomy 12/10

I am so glad it's over & ready to move on with my life ("Waiting" (along with the bowel prep) & rethinking everything was agony ) Now I am home & have a couple questions: How long does the "gas pains" last & is there anything that can expedite this process? Is it normal for these pains to radiate up into the neck & upper back ... And it is normal to feel things move around (in the abdomen) with position change? How long does the swollen belly & general bloating feeling last? It is normal to feel "swollen" all over? (my fingers & shoes are tight). I still feel so "full" & the only thing I have eaten since my surgery is a cup of soup & a slice of bread - & even that caused more stomach discomfort. I haven't moved my bowels yet, but am taking a stool softner in preparation, but really haven't had any food & had a major bowel prep before the surgery .... I am deathly afraid of that first bowel movement! And finally, when will I feel "better" (I feel like I have been severely beaten in the abdomen)
Alot of questions, but any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2007, 09:08 AM

Hi, Sclighthouse! I am 2 1/2 weeks post-op from a TAH/BSO. I don't know the difference in pain between a TLH and a TAH, but I can explain my experience. The gas pains lasted a couple of days. HOWEVER, I am still getting more gas than usual and the pain before passing gas can be quite uncomfortable. That first BM can be painful. I realized that patience was the best thing. I was frustrated after not having a BM for a couple of days. I just increased my ruffage. Walking as much as you can tolerate will also help. Also, an old trick my mom used to use with me when I was younger is to put a bowl full of warm (not boiling) water into the toilet. The warmth from the water can help relax things down there. The swollen feeling is most likely from the amount of fluid that got pumped into you during and after surgery. I peed A LOT for a week! The swelly belly will come and go. I know I've done too much when my belly starts to swell. You just had major stuff done in there, so it is a normal response. Wear some drawstring or elastic pants for awhile until clothes fit normally. Try to eat well and drink lots of water. I'm glad you're home!

Stephanie
30 years old, TAH/BSO 11-26-07--endo, adeno, pelvic congestion
Unread 12-12-2007, 09:08 AM

I think I can help on these....

How long does the "gas pains" last & is there anything that can expedite this process?

I am still having gas pain and I am 9 days post op today....I took gas x and walk and it seems to help but doesn';t get rid of them. I hate this!

Is it normal for these pains to radiate up into the neck & upper back ... And it is normal to feel things move around (in the abdomen) with position change?

Yes, totally normal! The gas in the upper neck is what they pump you with before they do the lap....

How long does the swollen belly & general bloating feeling last? It is normal to feel "swollen" all over?

I still feel bloated. I am still not hungry and not eating right because the gas is so bad....it just hurts. I am still up a couple pounds on the scale. I feel swollen everywhere, I am anxious to see what others say.

And finally, when will I feel "better" (I feel like I have been severely beaten in the abdomen)

I felt better by Saturday, I had mine last Monday. BUt, I still feel pulling and twisting when I get up from the couch, etc.

Email me or post back if you have any more ???'s!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2007, 09:27 AM

I also had a TLH. It was on 12/7. I just had my first BM today and the pains that led up to it were worse than the actual process! My stomach is still very swollen and painful. I am still taking my pain pills every 4 hours and I take benedryl at night to help with the insomnia. My doc said he had to remove a lot of endo from my intestines and that my bladder had a lot of scar tissue on it. I am thinking that might be why I hurt so much still. I really have had no appetite since my surgery. The strange thing about my stomach is that why i press on the upper part of it, it hurts almost as much as my lower stomach. Anyone else notice that? I really thought that the pain would not be this bad since it was a TLH - I guess I was wrong. By the way, does anyone know how many stitches there are inside of us? My DH asked and it made me wonder also.

Take care,
Paula
Unread 12-12-2007, 09:30 AM

I had my TLH yesterday. The gas pains were in my shoulder last night but seem to have gone. I slept with my head elevated on 3 pillows and I think that helps.

Haven't had a bm. I took some stool softeners last night and one this morning but I think I'll take some miralax later today.

I've eaten miso soup with some tofu in it ,crackers, and odwalla protein shake. I've also posted in the recovery progress forum.

The only thing that is really painful for me is getting into and out of bed. Once I'm standing or lying down I feel okay.

I'm alternating vicodin and ibuprofen for pain and taking arnica.
Unread 12-12-2007, 09:38 AM

I can totally relate that I didn't expect this much pain. I also had adhesions all over....everything was a mess. I wonder if this adds to the pain.

I feel like a baby, I had the easier surgery and am whining. I have had 2 csections, 3 D & C's, a tube rupture, gastric bypass and this seems the worst!
Unread 12-12-2007, 09:39 AM

I had my TLH yesterday. The gas pains were in my shoulder last night but seem to have lessened. I slept with my head elevated on 3 pillows and I think that helps. I can feel the gas in my belly - not too bad but every once in awhile it'll startle me with pain.

Haven't had a bm. I took some stool softeners last night and one this morning but I think I'll take some miralax later today. I've heard that miralax gives great results.

There is a thread I started about a month ago entitled "terrified of first bm'. I got great advice on that one. See if you can find it.

I've eaten miso soup with some tofu in it ,crackers, and odwalla protein shake.

I've also posted in the recovery progress forum.

The only thing that is really painful for me is getting into and out of bed. Once I'm standing or lying down I feel okay.

I'm alternating vicodin and ibuprofen for pain and taking arnica.

My scale reads that I'm up 8 lbs since yesterday morning pre surgery. i'm wondering if that is normal?
Unread 12-12-2007, 10:58 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I will definetely try the ideas suggested & check out the other forums. One thing else I noticed is one side of my abdomen is much more swollen than the other side - down to & including pubic area ... I'm assuming this is normal?
Tammy as far as the weight gain ... I haven't been brave enough to actually get on the scale - I feel so big & Bloated & didn't want to depress myseld more!!! When I get the courage to do it, I'll let you know!
Thanks again for all your responses & advice. It's so nice to know support is just a click away!
Unread 12-12-2007, 11:16 AM

Tammy,
I forgot to mention the arnica. I'm glad I'm not the only one taking it. I'm using the arnica gel, and it helps tremendously with swelly belly.

Stephanie
30 years old, TAH/BSO 11/26/07--endo, adeno, pelvic congestion
Unread 12-12-2007, 11:32 AM

Can you tell me what arnica is & where do I get it? If it helps with the swelling belly, I would be interested in trying it.
Thanks,
Annette

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register