Questions post total laparoscopic hysterectomy 12/10 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions post total laparoscopic hysterectomy 12/10 Questions post total laparoscopic hysterectomy 12/10

Unread 12-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Questions post total laparoscopic hysterectomy 12/10

I am two weeks post op today. I had a PLH. They left my left ovary and my cervex. Still not much of an appitite. BM have finally started coming on their own with out aid of stool softener. My belly is still swollen but is going down. I started feeling better at about day 10 or 11. Hope this helps.

Has anyone suffered from short term memory loss? Since my surgery I have been very forgetful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2007, 11:31 PM

"Has anyone suffered from short term memory loss? Since my surgery I have been very forgetful."

Ummm, what was I going to say?

LOL Oh definitely yes! Sometimes I am ready to tie my brain in a knot trying to remember a word or what I was going to do. I think I need to tie a pencil to my ear, and tape a note pad to my chest.

I hope it gets better because I hate having such a spongy thought process. That, and I can't concentrate worth a crap - and I've got some wonderful books to read!
Unread 12-13-2007, 09:09 AM

I'm having memory issues as well. I feel like such a space case!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Good to see you are doing well

Quote:
Originally Posted by itellstories
Hi, Sclighthouse! I am 2 1/2 weeks post-op from a TAH/BSO. I don't know the difference in pain between a TLH and a TAH, but I can explain my experience. The gas pains lasted a couple of days. HOWEVER, I am still getting more gas than usual and the pain before passing gas can be quite uncomfortable. That first BM can be painful. I realized that patience was the best thing. I was frustrated after not having a BM for a couple of days. I just increased my ruffage. Walking as much as you can tolerate will also help. Also, an old trick my mom used to use with me when I was younger is to put a bowl full of warm (not boiling) water into the toilet. The warmth from the water can help relax things down there. The swollen feeling is most likely from the amount of fluid that got pumped into you during and after surgery. I peed A LOT for a week! The swelly belly will come and go. I know I've done too much when my belly starts to swell. You just had major stuff done in there, so it is a normal response. Wear some drawstring or elastic pants for awhile until clothes fit normally. Try to eat well and drink lots of water. I'm glad you're home!

Stephanie
30 years old, TAH/BSO 11-26-07--endo, adeno, pelvic congestion
I remember the gas pain very well, now being 9 months post op I've tried many remedies, progesterone is supposed to help with the bloating, hasn't done well for me, I do take a laxative each night because if I don't the pain is so much worse. I am facing a potential back surgery and what I am afraid of the most is that horrible GAS PAIN. I am so glad to hear from you.

Lori
Unread 12-13-2007, 11:07 PM

Annette - Arnica is a homeopathic medicine that you can take orally or topically. I'm taking it orally and I think it's really helping. There is a product out there called traumeel that has alot of arnica in it too and that also comes orally or topically. It may be easier to find. You can find arnica products at a natural foods (health) store or order it online.

Finally had a bm today - colace, miralax, lots of water did the trick. I also have done the prunejuice/apple juice combo heated up. No pain at all!

My gas pain hasn't been bad - maybe the pain meds have covered it up.
Unread 12-14-2007, 05:16 AM

The major swelling is probably anaesthetics, plus the gas used to inflate your abdominal cavity... while your body tries to absorb it and remove it, it can move around and cause discomfort.
Personally, I think that major bowel prep was a good thing... it took a while to be able to have enough in my system to create a BM (about 4 days). I didn't have any major trouble with gas, or constipation, which seems so common... but apparently that can be linked to some painkillers.
Rest, drink, eat soft foods, walk (gently, little by little) -
Pamper the Princess!
Unread 12-15-2007, 12:44 PM

Hi there...I had my TLH on Dec 11th a few days ago and I feel everything you are feeling. My surgeon said this would hurt less than my two previous C Sections and other operations (appendectomy and lower back surgery) but this is far far worse!!! I feel so fat and bloated and I am angry at the world. My ovaries were removed, despite my wishes to keep them due to extreme endo so now I am also on Livial. I was told the laporascopic hyst would hurt less etc and be a better way to go but I am not convinced now.

I have zero appetite and the upper part of my abdomen is so swollen and hard I look seven months pregnant and I normally have a totally flat belly as I exercise and am very fit. I have had a BM and it was really loose---I am drinking lots of water but my bladder isn't back to normal as I have almost zero sensation telling me I need to "go"---it feels weird still.

In addition to my upper ab being really bloated and hard the rest of me is bloated and distended. My fingers and feet are swollen and so is my face. I am tired and the gas pains are incredible. I am taking d-gas for them but it does not help much. My shoulder ache is just beginning to subside but that was very painful. The only incision that still hurts externally is where they put the camera in thru my belly button. That is still a bit sore.

In addition to this, I am very depressed. Crying for no reason, fighting with my husband who does not seem to appreciate my stress over losing my ovaries and going on HRT, lethargy, and just a total sense of drowning.... Honestly, I think I need some therapy right now.

I doubt this helps you but I feel better after writing this because I was so optimistic that having the hysterectomy was the way to go due to heavy bleeding, low iron, fibroids etc and now I am seriously doubting my decision to have it, especially as has put me into sudden menopause and I wasn't even close to it. I am 49 but my periods were regular etc.

I hope you feel better soon!
Unread 12-15-2007, 05:16 PM

Hi Tinylibrarian,

I am so sorry you are so uncomfortable. My surgery was 12/10 & like you I STILL am very uncomfortable - swollen, bloated from head to toe. Much to my surgeons disapproval, I have both ovaries - he was so "mad" at me that he did not so a single word to me preop, nor did he come to see me in the recovery room or before I left to come home. After my surgery, he gave my husband pictures that he took & said he had to "cut away the one ovary as it was attached & also excised cysts/endometriomas" & of course he got his dig in by telling my husband I made the wrong choice not to have the ovaries out & he (surgeon) knows the ovary "will probably reattach & I'll need another surgery." I'm also having a lot of low back pain (a heating pad has become my new best friend). And today, I noticed significant bruising on my left side extending down to & including my hip ... not sure what this is from. I have found chewable Mylanta Gas tablets to be helpful, but I still have the gas pain shooting up the front of my neck & I can feel things "move around" when I change positions & sometimes even breathe deep. I am still not hungry, but am forcing small frequent protein snacks for strenght & healing. I was only given 40 Percocet on discharge & have to trying to stretch them out to make them last, but I don't like feeling this miserable.

I am a big exercise person too & do not like feeling this way & being all "stretched & bloated" I'm looking forward to when I can return to spinning, weight lifting, etc., but also scared as I don't want anything to happen (cystocele, etc) so I am not rushing back ... & not exercising will drive me nuts as it is my "stress reliever!"

I didn't have a BM yet, which is beginning to make me nervous. I did do the bowel prep, but tomorrow, it will be a week since the last time I had a BM ....ughhh.... I am taking 3-4 stool softeners/day, but nothing yet.

Please keep me posted on your progress & know you are not alone. Take care of yourself & I hope you begin to feel better, physically & emotionally soon.
Unread 12-15-2007, 05:49 PM

Sclighthouse - What are you taking for stool softeners? I did just stool softeners for my last surgery and they really didn't do anything for me. I had a friend run to the store and buy me Milk of Magnesia and I had results in 30 minutes! This time I'm doing stool softeners and Miralax because miralax was so recommended. it works...somewhat. Like I feel not everything is getting out - like I have some left. I'm going to get some milk of magnesia tomorrow. I think percocet is more constipating than vicodin even though my Dr says they are all the same.

TinyLibrarian - I am so sorry you are going through this. You will probably feel better in the long run with the ovaries gone if you had endo. i know that doesn't help you now. You might want to take a look at a book by Susan Weed called "New Menopausal Years". Its a bit new - agy woo woo but some parts are really helpful as is Christiane Northrups books. I hope you feel better.

Earlier I mentioned in a post that the gas pains weren't bad. Well that was until the pain meds wore off this morning when I didn't take any during the night. I shouldn't speak so soon.
Unread 12-15-2007, 07:05 PM

Hi Tammy,
The stool softener I am taking is Colace - 1-2 in am & 2 in pm & no results - in fact, I'm really not even passing much gas - but I feel so bloated & full. When the nurse from the drs office called Wed, I mentioned concern re: no BM yet - she suggested to give the Colace a few more days & if no relief try Milk of Magnesia & if still no relief to call - sometimes they have you do a Fleet enema ... which I cannot even imagine sticking ANYTHING in me right now!! hahha I aked her if I could try Senekot, but she preferred I call if the MOM does not work. I do have some Mirlax here too, so maybe I'll make a "cocktail" tonight!
How much pain med are you taking? I try to only take 1 percocet every 4-5 hours, but during the day, I really don't get pain relief, so I end up taking another one. I always take 2 at bedtime. I also have Motrin 600 mg, but with the other meds I take for hypertension, I think the Motrin is causing more fluid retention.
I wished I knew about arnica beforehand so I could have looked around for it & had it here ....
Hope you feel better soon ... I find Mylanta Gas X seems to help temporarily, with the gas pains.
Take care & keep me posted of your progress!
ps I was curious if you do alot of yoga given your name "Lenayogini?!"

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register