Questions post total laparoscopic hysterectomy 12/10 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions post total laparoscopic hysterectomy 12/10 Questions post total laparoscopic hysterectomy 12/10

Unread 12-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Questions post total laparoscopic hysterectomy 12/10

Hi Sclighthouse. It was Colace that I was taking last year that didn't do anything for me. Definitely go to the MOM before anything else (enema ) - it really worked for me.

I've been taking 2 vicodin every 4-6 hours and 600mg ibuprofen (motrin) every 6 hours. Today is day 5 and I'm going to cut back to 1 vicodin every 4 hours.

I probably still need 2 but I have this project for work that has a Thursday deadline that I have no choice - hysterectomy or not - I have to work on. It's information that is going into a national magazine - the print deadline is Friday and I'm the only one at this non-profit that can do the work. I can't be too doped up. The good thing is I can do this project on my laptop in bed. My Dh will carry my laptop out to the printer and hook it up and print for me when necessary.

Last night was my first really uncomfortable night sleeping. I slept quite poorly. Might have to take a sleep aid tonight.

I have had an Iyengar yoga practice for years now. Of course it's been a while because my adeno pain had spread to my back and was worse when doing yoga. I can't wait to start doing it again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2007, 12:25 PM

Thanks so much for your note. I was feeling alone quite frankly and I am still very sad about losing my ovaries because my surgeon was specifically told not to take them!!! I didn't get a good explanation either other than there was a lot of tissue around them etc. I suppose they do hundreds of these operations and they just feel as if they need to do what they think is easy or right for the patient even if it is contrary to their wishes. So, I am bringing my husband in to the 6 week check so we both can hear the explanation. I still feel so cheated and the more I read about sudden menopause it makes me ill. I now have to be on HRT and everything I read tells me this is not an exact science.

I walked around a lot yesterday at the local mall but was pretty sore last night and I ate some pizza (bad idea because I had stomach pains all night long). My swelling went down just a little this morning but in the evenings I seem to balloon right back up. I wear a suit to work daily but I sincerely doubt I will fit into any of them in 4 weeks. I am seriously considering taking the full 6 weeks off until I get the all clear and can continue my workouts. I have an elliptical trainer at home and weight machine but I am afraid to use them until I really get the clear from my surgeon. I don't know about you but I went to the 'best' surgeon in Sydney (where I live) and it is like they are robots... when he came in for a few minutes after my operation he was so cold about "oh..we had to take your ovaries.." I felt like crying and punching him at the same time.

Anyways, thanks for your note--stay in touch and I will try to get a better attitude once I feel like myself. I am normally a very happy and healthy person and I feel a little bitter and frustrated right now.

Take care of yourself!!!
Unread 12-16-2007, 12:53 PM

Hi Ladies....all of what you are feeling goes with the territory.......I had the DaVinci Lap and I think I had figured was going to be a breeze...there was not much initial pain for me, but the swelling was horrible the first week from the iv fluids......almost inhuman in areas of swelling...LOL..I can laugh about it now...but it was scary.....as far as the swelly belly....I still had that 2 months later..sorry to say...I would start off the day flatter, after the first few weeks, but by lunch time it would come back..I finally conceded and bought bigger pants as NONE of my pants or even sweats were comfortable......also, want to mention that around week 3 and 4 I felt worse than end of week 1 and 2, this is because I started to do too much, shopping, cleaning, ect and my body put a big halt to it..so have patience...it does get much better and we all are better off in the long run.......I was grateful my doc "warned" me of twinges and stabbing pain to be expected starting around week 2.....she said this is from scar tissue forming and nerve endings healing and awakening...it all made sense and came almost exactly as she said...lasted for few weeks....in pelvic and abdominal region mostly...sometimes would stop me in my tracks, but would only last few seconds..I was just happy to know ahead of time so that when it did happen I was not frightened by it........appetite took a few weeks to return to normal, but than unfortunately for me, it is bigger now...LOL..hopefully just the holiday temptations.......rest up, drink lots of water, try to walk a little, but mostly listen to your body.....those of you that go to the gym, try to be patient and give your body alot of time to heal....your muscle has memory and will return very quickly, but this is the only time/chance you have to heal correctly......weight gain and muscle loss will be temporary....good luck and Happy Holidays

For bm issues...I found MOM worked the best, usually within hrs...I also had a big bowl of applesauce everyday that seemed to help...stayed away from rice, nuts, bananas and other constipating foods....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2007, 02:10 PM

tinylibrarian, I'm sorry you are so upset about your surgeon having to take your ovaries. But, I want to give you a story from the other side of the aisle. I had a laprascopic procedure in 2000 to remove endometriosis. I was so mad after the surgery because the doctor didn't take me ovaries when she should have. My ovaries were so compromised by endo, they should have been removed. The doctor knew that I was having the surgery due to the pain that the endo was causing, and that my life was horrible due to that fact. Her comments where, "The ovaries were full of endometriomas, and when we squeezed them, they just gushed chocolate fluid. We got as much of the fluid out as possible." NO comment on that the ovaries where just going to fill back up with fluid and I was going to be back in the same boat that put there to start with. The endo was still there - so what was the point of the surgery? It didn't solve anything - it made everything worse.

Needless to say, the next 7 years where absolute, total, living hell. If she had removed my ovaries, I would have had my life. My husband and I would have been able to enjoy our lives. Instead, I struggled from day to day to be able to function. My periods went from being heavy and lasting for 11 days, to flooding the first 3 days to the point I had to stay home for fear of having a problem in town. Not to mention the horrible cramps that went from a 6 to a 10 on the pain scale. They lasted for weeks, then months at a time. My anemia got so bad, with no way to stop it.

I know you are angry about being put into instant menopause. I had my LSH/BSO on Nov. 12 at 34 years of age, and I'll admit the hot flashes, headaches, and memory lapses have been aggravating - BUT - I don't feel sick anymore. I don't feel like I am being poisoned. True I am tired, but it is a body tired, not a tired from being sick. Life is going to be interesting dealing with menopause, but at least I feel like living my life now instead of wondering how I'm going to get through the day dealing with the crappy endo and feeling like crap.

And their are other alternatives for HRT than the standard prescribed synthetic hormones. I'm investigating the bio-identical hormones that are natural, plant hormones that are like what our body produces. There is lots of info to digest, but Hystersisters has lots of links on hormones and in the Hormone jungle forum section. But there are ways to control the instant menopause.

I'm sure if your surgeon took your ovaries, he had to have a reason. And if that reason was due to endometriosis, I'm sure he felt like he needed to. My surgeon wasn't happy about having to take mine, but from the description of the surgery report from 2000, he didn't feel like he had any other choice but to. And after the surgery, he said the ovaries where in really bad shape - misshapened and full/covered in endo. You might have to pointedly ask your doctor questions to get a satisfactory answer from him. Most doctors don't seem to volunteer info that satisfies us - we have to ask to get the answers we need.

I hope you get the answers you need to have some peace about losing your ovaries. And I'm sorry your surgery didn't go the way you wanted. But from someone who has been in your shoes, but from the other side, take it from me - you might be happier that he did take them if it makes you feel better. I know I do.

Wishes for a speedy and complication free recovery! Hugs to you!

Amy
Unread 12-16-2007, 02:33 PM

I really appreciate everyone's responses. Tinylibrarian, I am impressed you were able to get to the mall. I am still spending most of the day in bed ... I am still so sore, swollen, & bloated & still not much of an appetite. I am trying to cut down on the Percocet - but today, when I am upright, I feel heaviness "down there." Does any body else have this feeling?
It's been a week since I had a BM, so in addition to Colace, I took 3 tbsp of MOM earlier today, but no results ... just made me extremely nauseous - I still feel like I could throw up at any minute.
Also, it reassuring to hear others are emotional ... I cry for no reason & second guess my decision ... I am typically very active (family, work, exercise) & I don't like feeling this way both physically & emotionally. Fortunately I am off from work until mid-Jan for holiday break - No one knows I had surgery & I plan to keep it that way ... I just hope I will be 100% by mid-Jan!
Hopefully we will all be feeling better soon .... I appreciate & looking forward to hearing from everyone - it's great to have this support!
Unread 12-16-2007, 02:55 PM

I to had surgery on 12/10 and still feel aches and pains. My bowel movement came the very next day with a very bad tummyache. I am still having aches in my lower adomen and back. last night my shoulder and neck hurt for the first time. I used a massager on my neck and shouilder which help relieve it temporarily; today it still aches but not as bad. My lower adomen and back ache continuosly some days and other days I can barely feel it. I find myself very sleeply somedays and others energetic. On the days I feel energetic I get up and go for a walk or work on my scrape book etc..; after 5 or 10 minutes I begin to feel achey and I go and lay down. Carefirst told me to try tylenol when I begin to feel achey first and then after an hour if symptoms have not improved then go ahead and take a hydro. I'm trying to be very careful about not taking to many hydro's cause its so easy to get hooked on them. this is my 2nd surgery; last year I had a partial which didn't keep the endo away. Fortunately I guess I'm one of the lucky ones cause the dr. said it didn't look like the endo had attached itself to any other organs. The Dr. caterized instead of stitches and it was done vaginally, healing time is suppose to be less that way. I haven't ventured away from home and have been wearing loose fitting nightshirts. When I left the hospital on the 11th I was feeling weak but pain free, the pain started back from the jar from the veichle on the ride home and the rode wasn't really what you could call rough. I go back on the 19th and will have lab results then; heres hoping they turned out well. I'm glad that I had the 2nd surgery, now I can get on with my life and hopefully will be less cranky. I know the pain will diminish in time, which is better than living with the pain I had. I had my first hotflash 3 days ago and so far I haven't had any since. I started taking some herbs that I got from the health food store right after I got home. These herbs are called transitions which has 15 herbs in it. I'm not sure if it's going to work for me, but I knew I had to try something. The dr. recommend estrogen, which against dr, orders I refused it. The idea of taking horse urine doesn't appeal to me (thats what estrogen is made from) and beside I have to worry about breast cancer in the family which is hormone receptive. I don't feel comfortable in taking the risk with hormones and finding myself possibly having to have my breasts removed down the road. A nurse friend of mind has been taking herbs for about 10 yrs now and citrical chewables for the calcium to help with bone density and she says its working for her. I was told that chewable calcium works into your system better as with calcium tablet you run the risk of them not dissolving into your system. I'm not sure if transitions herbs are right for me, but if not I'll try something different until I find something thats going to work. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.
Unread 12-16-2007, 05:48 PM

Janicemd - from what I've been told by my Dr - people typically don't get addicted to the pain meds if they are actually in pain. I suppose unless you have a history of addiction the chances that you'll get addicted if you are taking them post op is low. Those meds will help you heal faster.

Rita - I really appreciate the information that you shared with us - especially about the pain the 2nd week with scar tissue forming and nerve endings healing. That is exactly what I think I'm experiencing right now and I had heard that from someone else but having you confirm it makes me feel better.

Sclighthouse - I can totally relate to feeling the "heaviness" in my pelvic area. Like I'm carrying a cantaloupe! Unlike you I told everyone I know about the hyst - even those who probably wished not to know LOL. I'm surprised the MOM hasn't kicked in. Are you eating high fiber too? Eat pears, lentils (well cooked!!!!), whole grains, veggies. It's all I'm eating and I had not 1 but 2 BMs today. Took awhile but now I'm in full swing!

So today I ventured out to the library. I did alright but got pretty tired and started having some cramping as I was leaving - maybe it was gas? Or maybe it was what Rita was talking about. In anycase I came home and rested and it went away.
Unread 12-16-2007, 10:07 PM

Thanks for writing. It is day 6 for me and I took a long walk this morning for 40 minutes and then was so tired I slept afterwards for two hours! My tummy feels better in the morning but by afternoon I am more bloated and nauseaus. I don't feel like doing anything which is unlike me--I always had so much energy! I am on HRT but not estrogen --it is livial and this is day 4 taking it. It is supposed to be for those that have breast tenderness or lumps and it is also supposed to help with hot flashes and osteoporosis. I don't feel right taking anything quite frankly--I hate taking the panadol! But I am worried I am going to just dry up like a prune and lose everything about me that was female. I will ask about hermal remedies although my doc didn't recommend them as I am only 49 and have "sudden menopause" due to both ovaries being taken. I hope the herbs work for you though. I am wearing sweatpants--have not weighed myself and don't plan to for at least a few more weeks. And, I have already decided to stay out a full 6 weeks until my post-op check. I lead a crazy job and to be truthful I am in mourning over losing my ovaries, which were unplanned. And, I am angry too. I still want a detailed explanation from my surgeon which I won't get for another 5 weeks. When I read about everyone else's situation it makes me feel lucky in a way because many others have it worse than me. At least now I don't feel alone. My husband definitely does not understand how I feel and I didn't tell anyone at work why I was going out for an operation. I feel almost embarassed by it and it is so personal. My job is very high profile and I work in the government so I didn't want everyone knowing I had all of my female bits removed etc....I probably sound silly in a way but I am just trying to cope now. I hope tomorrow is better for both of us! Thank you for writing!!!!
Unread 12-17-2007, 10:16 AM

[quote=Lenayogini]Janicemd - from what I've been told by my Dr - people typically don't get addicted to the pain meds if they are actually in pain. I suppose unless you have a history of addiction the chances that you'll get addicted if you are taking them post op is low. Those meds will help you heal faster.

Thanks for the info. and I appreciate your concern. This is different than what I was told. I was told that anything with a narcotic in it can be addictive, that everybody is different and in affects everyone differently. The likelyhood of becoming addictive is slim, but is does happen to some. I was told to take them if I absolutely need them , but if I could get by with tylenol it would be better for me, the less need for the narcotic (Hydro's) the better for my body.
Unread 12-17-2007, 11:37 AM

[quote=tinylibrarian] I am on HRT but not estrogen --it is livial and this is day 4 taking it. It is supposed to be for those that have breast tenderness or lumps and it is also supposed to help with hot flashes and osteoporosis. I don't feel right taking anything quite frankly--I hate taking the panadol! a prune and lose everything about me that was female. I will ask about hermal remedies although my doc didn't recommend them as I am only 49 and have "sudden menopause" due to both ovaries being taken.
I grew up with the belief to follow your heart, and your first impressions. If you are uncomfortable with something then maybe it isn't right for you. My suggestion would be to do some research. Get as much info. on the medication that you can; search the internet; find out the side affects and risk that are involved and then make a decision that you are comfortable with. You will also discover that there is no Dr. out there that will recommend any kind of herbal remedies. Dr's. are not suppose to prescribe or recommend anything that has not been fda approved. Dr's. do not belief in herbalist's, nor chiropractic's and vice versa. Also Pharmacist's do not recomend anything that isn't fda approved. When I approached the Dr. about it he did not recomend it. I explained to him that breast cancer ran high in my family and it was hormone receptive. The Dr. told me the only thing that counts as heriditary in my family is mother, father, brother, sister, daughter, son. When I told him my sister had it, the response was it's still a slim chance and that if you take your mamagrams regularly we can catch it if you do get it. My sister cancer special said I have a 50/50 chance. To me it's not worth the risk. I to have breast lumps, which I was told were fibroid cysts and could not turn to cancer, but in the family line each one who had breast cancer started out with fibroid cysts. I don't want to take the chance, so I opted for trying the herbs. So far my emotions are not running wild. I'm very tired and achey and cranky, but I'm always cranky when I don't feel well. I am also energetic at times ; I loaded the dish washer yesterday and then found my self spending half the day on the sofa, sleeping on and off. Both my ovaries are gone and I'd rather be with out them than live with the pain that I had with them. Surgery leaves you droggie afterwards and it is hard to remember everything the Dr. told you. I lost my 1st orvary; 1yr ago and felt great after healing time. When the pains came back , they were bad enough that I couldn't walk. Atleast I'm up walking now and the pain isn't near as bad as pior to the surgery. You have a right to be upset, he should of told you that there was a possibility that he would have to remove both ovaries even if you didn't want it. Dr's. generally don't remove unless they absolutely have to. If your ovaries looked bad than it is highly likely you would have had to have another surgery down the road if he had left them in. he may have saved you from that 2nd surgery. Call his office and ask to speak to his nurse; let them know how you are feeling, maybe this will help, you shouldn't have to wait tell your post opt for answers. I'm 44 and was also told I'd be thrown into instant menapause. So far no more hotflashes. Here's hoping you're feeling better today.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register