9 days post op and still having pain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

9 days post op and still having pain? 9 days post op and still having pain?

Unread 12-12-2007, 09:11 AM
9 days post op and still having pain?

Hi everyone,

I wish I could say I am not crying anymore, but I still am. I got some out last night then woke up and was crying again! Grrr!

I am wondering, I still have pain in my lower pelvic area when lifting off the couch, bed, chair, standing, bending over and back up. It seemed to lessen over the weekend but is back. It is not terrible pain, but I can definitely feel it and it aches to roll over in bed.

It is a pulling tugging pain, more on the right, than the left.

Is this normal? I thought with a TLH I would not feel any of this.....but I do. My 3 incisions do not hurt at all! It is inner pain, if that makes sense!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2007, 09:41 AM

I'm still in pain at 8 days out, although I unfortunately had a TAH. Regardless of the mechanism, we've all had one or more major body parts removed, so internally, the healing is going to take a long time. I guess we'll just have to hang in here together! Good luck.
Unread 12-12-2007, 09:47 AM

Don't know about TLH but with TAH, I had pain for weeks. It's been 6 weeks now and I still have some discomfort when rolling over in bed or sitting up etc. I would expect the pain to last for weeks - that's to be exptected with what your insides have been through. Give it some time, take your pain meds - they really do help and will help you heal more quickly than if you are in pain. Also, REMEMBER NOT to overdo it! Be gentle to yourself. Use your arms to help you roll over and sit up.

Your back will start to ache - it is compensating for your weakened stomach muscles and the injury you have received. This is normal.

I hope some others who have had TLH respond. My comments are based on my experience with TAH. Rest up - you need it and deserve it!

(Ps. At 5 weeks postop - I was able to go out and slow dance - it feels great to start feeling normal again!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2007, 09:49 AM

Hey precious,

Sorry you're feeling poopie. I am having an up day after 2 downers. I went to the mall Sunday night w/ DS and talk about a major mistake!! It took me two whole days to recover!! Still various aches and pains ( I am a few days ahead of you) and moods. Did you have ovaries removed?
Just curious if that was part of it?
Unread 12-12-2007, 09:50 AM

Thanks everyone.....I know the TAH And TLH are so different but what they do inside is the same, right?
Unread 12-12-2007, 09:53 AM

I kept the ovaries....:-)
Unread 12-12-2007, 09:53 AM

Are you sleeping at night? I think one of my biggest problems was sleep deficit due to pain! Are you overdoing it? That seems to be my hardest part--
Unread 12-12-2007, 12:11 PM

For any of you that had a TVH is your belly and vaginal area sore? I am kind of down today because I don't seem to be improving like I thought I would. My good days only seem to be when i take pain medicine. I am trying to wean the pain meds but I seem to be having a painful day. Any one else feel this way???
Unread 12-15-2007, 01:32 PM

Hi All
Have been doing alot of reading here. This site is awesome. I need to share with you all my story. Sorry so long but I am hoping that someone would have a similar story or tell me this is the norm. I had TVH (Uterues,Cervix out saved both ovaries) dec 4. Stayed 1 night in hospital. First 3-4 days home stayed on the couch. My hubby treated me like a queen. Bringing me cold water and fruit and soups. Started moving/walking more and I felt pretty good. So I stopped taking the Pain med day 2. Was feeling okay for 2 days. Then out of left field I experienced the most excruciating pain since the day of my surgery. Felt like someone was kicking my stomach. As it turns out my bowels had been on strike. Then the gas pains started and I was running a fever any where from 100 to 102. Called Doc (got another doc that was on call) She told me to take 2 motrin and some mylanta and recheck my fever in an hour. Of course this was Friday night at 11:30. So hubby runs to store at midnight to get mylanta. Took the Motrin--fever reduced took Mylanta Pain subsided, I fell asleep and woke up next morning with the same pain from the day before I almost passed out from the pain. Hubby called Called Dr again. Got my Doc. She asked me If I was still on the Demeral she had originally precribed. No I wasn't, had not needed it, I was taking 600 mg Motrin. She told me to take 50mg Demeral. My bowels had tried to start up again since I took myself off the Demeral and this was a back up of 4 days. So I followed her orders. In the meantime a friend stopped in I told her what was going on. She had TVH about 3 years ago. She went and bought me some correctal and stool softner. She (my friend) was horrified that my doctor never put me on anything except the Demeral. Of course you are going to get constipated. And my doctor never told me about making sure I walk to get rid of the gas and aid in having an BM. She kept telling my hubby to keep me on the couch. So, by this time I am sobbing from the pain sitting on the toilet shaking. My hubby calls the doctor again and really gives her an earfull. She finally prescribes Miralax, stool softener and a Antibotic because not only can I not have a BM. I also have UTI. This is 5 days of no BM and I just figured because of the catherder that's why it hurt to pee. Took Demeral, stool softener and antibonic and drank the miralax. Because of the pain my hubby carried me to the couch. I finally fell asleep. About 2 hours later I woke up and couldn't get to the bathroom quick enough. There I sat for the next 30-45 minutes with diarrhea and feeling nauseated. I have never went so fast and furious. But wait , I have an added complication--Hemmroids. The pain finally subsided from the cramps. Pretty much crawled back onto the couch with the help of my girlfriend. Fell asleep and woke up again with the same scenario. Sat there another 30 minutes only this time cramps were more mild. And then I started bleeding vaginally. I had bled first day after surgery and then stopped. Now it was more of a period bleed. I figured it was from the diarrhea and pushing to get the gas out. Called Doc again she told me to not worry it was normal. And to take 50mg Demeral every 4 hours along with the Miralax in the AM and stool softener and Maylox 4 times daily. So here I sit today day 11. Disappointed because I had been told that most women who have it done vaginally are up and about within 2 weeks. I can hardley make it to the bathroom. I feel so doped up, depressed and weak that I would go back to Pre-TVH in a minute. And forget the whole thing. I don't even have my tree up nor do I care. Told my kids (25 & 27) Christmas is cancelled here this year. Is any of this normal to anyone??? Oh yea Doc upped my Lexapro to 40mg. She said I seemed more depressed--Ya Think? I feel like I am being a big baby but I really am disgruntled over the whole experience. I knew going into this it wasn't going to be pleasant to say the least, but this is a little over the top. Am I over reacting or should I be upset with my doc for not telling to take all the meds from day 1. Thanks for letting me sound off. Wishing everyone a speedy recovery and a Merry Christmas.
Unread 12-15-2007, 02:19 PM

Hi Teacherangle,
I had LSH on 12/7 and I'm still taking Vicodin every six hours. Sometimes it's the incisions, sometimes it's for internal pain. That pulling is the feeling of healing, so I try to keep that in mind when I am scowling at my stomach. I've had other laparoscopic surgeries before and this is all pretty normal. Hang in there, it will get better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register