New here and scared to death | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here and scared to death New here and scared to death

Unread 12-12-2007, 02:52 PM
New here and scared to death

Hi,

Last Friday I had an abnormal ultrasound. It showed a lot of uterine fibroids, a 5mm cyst like structure in the uterus, and several small ovarian cysts. For the past couple of months I have noticed a decrease in hunger without any weight loss, lower back discomfort, and some nausea (sp?) with out vomiting.

I am very over weight, I have a prior history of ovarian cysts (lost left ovary to a torsion cyst - no cancer). I am scheduled to see the OB/GYN on Monday for a biopsy of the uterus. Also, I am scheduled to see a surgeon about a hernia repair.

I will probably have to have a hysterectomy. And I am scared to death and live alone.

Marburg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2007, 03:25 PM

Marburg,
I'm sorry you're so scared... I've been there... hell I'm *still* there.

I am a single mom and when I found out I had to have a hysterectomy (fibroids, adenomyosis and endometriosis) I freaked... couldn't imagine having an abdominal hysterectomy and having a normal life. I had a huge support network though, and they pushed me through the hysterectomy as well as my other surgery in September and now my chemo.

I hope and pray that you have a strong support network.

Good luck on Monday with your OB/GYN. If I could make one suggestion... if they suspect the "c" word, I'd immediately ask for a referal to a GYN/Oncologist. That's just my opinion.

Good luck and post often.
Unread 12-12-2007, 03:29 PM

dear marburg...i'm sorry you have found yourself in this position. if there is a suspicion of cancer, please ask your ob/gyn to refer you to an gynecological oncologist as they are the experts in this field and will perform the surgery correctly the first time. this is extremely important for many reasons, one being to avoid a second surgery and secondly to have the proper biopsies, staging and procedures done during the surgery.

if you do have to have a hysterectomy, please arrange to have someone help you at home for a couple of weeks at least so you can heal properly and not overdo it. i'm hoping all goes well for you and that it's not cancer, but something else that can be repaired. let us know how you are doing and come here any time to ask questions and/or vent. best wishes to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2007, 03:30 PM

marberg,

Are the doctors concerned that cancer is a possibility? If so, I strongly suggest you see a gynecological oncologist. They are the experts for the job.

Having said that, I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I know the fears and the feelings you are dealing with. I hope everything works out ok. We're here for you!
Let us know how things go on Monday!

xox
k9
Unread 12-12-2007, 03:43 PM

Thank you everyone. I found this site by accident. Right now, the doctor that did the ultrasound is thinking it might be the "c" word, the OB/GYN wants to do tests.

Here are my symptoms: diarrhea (or very loose stools), appetite loss, no weight loss, cramp like pain lower right side by ovary (probably the ovarian cysts-I've had those before), pants are a bit tighter, vaginal bleeding after a 15 month period of no bleeding. The ultrasound showed fibroids, a uterine cyst-like structure, and ovarian cysts.

The OB/GYN said they weren't really concerned about the ovarian cysts (even though I had previously lost an ovary to torsion cysts) but were concerned about the uterine cyst and are planning a complete evaluation including a biopsy.

I also am facing hernia repair surgery. I am scared witless. I do not have a large support group. This is all almost too much for me. I went through 3 years where I had knee surgery, lost my father to carcinoid syndrome of the stomach and liver cancer 2 years ago, lost my mother last year to sepsis. Since both parents lived with me I used a lot of my personal time at work to help them and so I don't have a lot of time off and have no one to turn to financially or for after surgery help.

Sorry to sound like I'm dumping--I'm worried sick about health, finances and work.

Marburg
Unread 12-12-2007, 03:54 PM

Marburg,
Where do you live? I may have a few suggestions for finances/work.
Unread 12-12-2007, 04:11 PM

Hi Joy,

I live near Houston Texas.

Marburg
Unread 12-12-2007, 05:02 PM

Marburg,
Have you looked into the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)? Employers must grant you 12 unpaid workweeks off, though this is only required if the employer has 50 or more employees.

You'd qualify for disability, and you can figure out about how much your benefit amount will be by going to the State Disability website.

You may want to check with your employer to see if they have any type of supplemental insurance programs for disability. Mine did... and how it worked was I collected my full benefit from the state for disability, and the supplemental program paid me the difference between my disability benefits and my take home pay amount, minus about 10%. So basically I only lost 10% of my pay...

I'm not sure what type of job you have, but maybe you could work from home when you're ready...? Or go back to work early on a part time schedule (disability would still pay you, though not in full, as long as your combined earnings between disability and work do not exceed your normal takehome pay)

Check with your insurance company and find out if they could provide a nurse to help you for the first few weeks if you don't have anyone else who could help. You're going to need help. You cannot do this alone; please do not try to.

Prepare ahead of time... microwave meals can be a lifesaver... doesn't take much effort or energy to pop one of those in the microwave for a few minutes. Get any type of cleaning or laundry done ahead of time, since you won't be able to do that for a while.

But more than anything, please focus on being healthy and well. Don't let the other things like money and work get in the way of what is most important; your health. You have to put that first... you're the only person who can. You owe that to yourself.

Don't sweat the small stuff, it will work itself out. Just focus on the idea of a healthier, pain and period free you... distract yourself with tasks in preparation of your (possible) surgery.

As overwhelming as it all is, you can do this. We're here to support you.
Unread 12-12-2007, 11:27 PM

Hello, Marburg!

Well, I was going to suggest checking with your local hospital's Social Services department, but Joy has done a super job on that arena. And, the other ladies have already mentioned the all so important gyn/onc information, so . . .

We know you're scared. But, it sounds like you've survived some pretty tough circumstances in the past, and you will this one as well. Your health is the number one priority right now. Hopefully, this will turn out to be some benign process. But, either way, you CAN do this! We all did, and if we did, YOU CAN, TOO!

Remember, we're here 24/7!!

Now, take a deep breath --

Hugs!
monami
Unread 12-13-2007, 07:13 AM

Thank you Joy and Monami,

I do have FMLA available so I'm not concerned about losing my job. As for supplemental programs. The only thing we have is short term disability which I wasn't eligible for when it started so I don't have it. I do have long term disability which kicks in after 6 months. There is the possibility of getting supplemental sick leave but I have to use up the 2 months I have first.

Thank you for your support--it really helps. I'm praying for all of us.

Marburg

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register