Suprapubic Catheter Removal | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Suprapubic Catheter Removal Suprapubic Catheter Removal

Unread 12-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Suprapubic Catheter Removal

Hi,
I have returned to VA from having surgery in TN and my GYN refuses to remove my suprapubic catheter because of liability reasons. My surgeon says I can remove it myself but a friend of mine has just told me that you need to deflate the "balloon" part of it first. My surgeon did not tell me about that part. Has anyone had any experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2007, 09:05 PM

I only had my cath for 24 hours and just had it removed on Saturday. The nurse did have to deflate the balloon first so it would slide out easily. If you have a local nurse line I would call them and ask, otherwise maybe you need to try a different doctor. Worst case senerio, I would go to the ER and make them remove it. I wouldn't do it myself.
Unread 12-13-2007, 12:02 AM

I had a Foley for a week after my surgery and removed it myself as instructed by the nurse at the hospital. I know it is possible for a patient to remove their own suprapubic catheter:

http://www.healthtouch.com/bin/ECont...ER+&cid=HTHLTH

but personally, I would not want to unless the surgeon had actually shown me how beforehand.

I think I'd go to the local ER and ask them to do it, but that's just me.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2007, 01:15 AM
waiting is frustrating, but safer

I too, had to leave the hospital with a cath and foley bag for a week post surgery. Endo fused my bladder to my uterus and they nicked the bladder when separating them. Many years earlier, I had a cath "yanked" out by a nurse who was overloaded that Thanksgiving Day in 1985. Trust me on this one, you do not want to remove this yourself unless you have had instructions. After that experience, I was in no hurry to ever have another one. What a horrible surprise to have one post op. However, they were very gentle about removing it, especially after telling my story. It doesn't even hurt when you can take the time to know what is going on and you simply relax. It sounds like your doctor may not have communicated well with you, but was probably covering his behind since you were traveling so far post op. Now that you are home, check with your local GYN again. There may have been a miscommunication. They don't usually want those things to stay in any longer than absolutely necessary. I don't think the ER will touch it until the GYN approves the removal. Maybe there was more to the cath than you are aware. It is worth checking out. Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register