Post-Op Pain Expectations | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-Op Pain Expectations Post-Op Pain Expectations

Unread 12-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Post-Op Pain Expectations

I am wondering what to expect in terms of post-op pain. I keep reading that some ladies are a few days out and are med-free. I am 12 days out and can't imagine being pain free, much less med free.

My belly hurts 24/7. It is a very steady ache that hurts more when I move. I take 800 mg ibuprofen 4 times a day, and just used my last percoset. My doc will write me a perscription for more percoset if needed, but I will give Tylenol a try instead (filling a percoset perscription in our area is very troublesome).

What is everyone experiencing? If you are med-free, are you also pain free all the time, or most of the time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2007, 09:26 PM

I was just questioning this same thing! I am 11 days out and the back pain is still so intense
Unread 12-12-2007, 11:15 PM

Guinee, I am 16 days post-op, I'm taking 800mg Motrin at least once a day. I stopped the percocets around Day 7. I have to admit, they did help me sleep better though. Can't sleep for more than 2 hours seems like. As far as pain, towards the end of the day, my belly gets more swelly and sometimes it feels like I'm dragging around a 50lb bag. Lately I've felt tugging at both ends of my incision, don't know what that is about. I can't say I've had any pain that would require pain meds though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2007, 11:36 PM

My TAH/LSO was on 12/4, so I'm not very far along. Every time I seem to think I can stop taking the narcotic pain meds, substituting over-the-counters, I get whacked with another round of bad pain. My doctor only prescribed 30 total Percocets, dosed at 1 every 4 hours. It's a good thing I've had some good times where I was able to substitute Motrin because I'm probably going to run out on Friday. I plan to call tomorrow about writing me a prescription for more, because I just don't feel like I'm ready to stop taking them yet. I'm going to do my best to start taking Motrin instead, but I can't seem to get through a full day without taking a couple doses of Percocet. I'm wondering if maybe I should ask for a refill of a lesser strength Percocet - that way, if it's too bad, I can take 2 pills... not so bad, just take 1.
Unread 12-13-2007, 02:27 AM

Glad I'm not the only one! I'm not very far along either, having just had LSH on 12/7, but I'm still faithfully taking the Vicodin every 6 hours and I am painfully reminded if I'm late taking it. I found myself counting them tonight, wondering how much longer I'll have them, and was relieved to see I should at least have enough to get through the next four days. After that we'll just have to see if I can get by on ibuprofin or if I'll have to call the doc for more.
Unread 12-13-2007, 04:53 AM

I am dealing with the same thing. My discimfort is in my vaginal area. My vagina burns at times and feels heavy at the end of the day. When I take my vicodin as scheduled my belly is less sore and my vaginal area feels pretty good. I am like you in that I have counted my pills to see how long I have. I will be glad when all this discomfort seems to be getting better. I am on my 2nd prescription of vicodin. My md only gave me 24 pills the first time...
Unread 12-13-2007, 05:18 AM

I noticed that most of you had an abdominal incision. I have a vaginal hysterectomy on 12/3, and I haven't taken a percocet since I left the hospital. I take 800 mg of ibuprofen probably once every 2 days. I only took it around the clock the first 5 days.

But - I had a vaginal hysterectomy. There were no cutting the abdominal walls etc... I had a C-section 6 years ago, and I used the loratab, and ibuprofen every 3 hours until it was all gone (probably 3 weeks worth). Please don't beat yourself up because you're still in pain. The abdominal incision makes a HUGE difference in slowing you down, AND on your pain level. I don't have ANY inside pain - I just sneezed and it was ok. See the difference - I know most of you shutter at the thought of sneezing. I really think that the posts you read of women being pain/med free at this point are those who had a vaginal or laproscopic hysterectomy.

Your body will heal, just take it easy. You'll be bouncing around in no time.
Unread 12-13-2007, 05:57 AM

I had a TVH and am still having quite a bit of discomfort. I think we all heal differently and we need to remember we have to allow time for healing. I am envious of you responding that well to Motrin alone. I will be glad when I am feeling better
Unread 12-13-2007, 07:45 AM

My doc only gave me 24 percocet as well, which I think would have been sufficient if my surgery had gone as planned (TVH). However, the assisting doc perforated my bladder, which then had to be opened up & restitched. In order to do that, my doc had to do a TAH. I have to keep my catheter in until the 19th, and I have a bladder infection (which is as painful, if not more, than my incision). I only have a few percocet left and as some of you have mentioned, I'm painfully reminded if I've gone too long without one (as I've been trying to stretch out the time to conserve them). I think I'm just going to break down and ask for more pain meds.
Unread 12-13-2007, 07:58 AM

I had LAVH on December 4th, which wasn't all that long ago. I stopped taking Vicodin about three days ago and moved onto Advil instead. I take 400 mg every four hours though. Don't get me wrong, I am not pain free, however the Advil keeps it comortable. I still feel pain on and off all day long, but at least I know what my limitations are. I took a vicodin one day and totally over did it (no pain to hold me back).

I agree with everyone here, one day at a time. Regardless of what kind of procedure you had, we all heal differently. Good luck to all of you!! Hang in there...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register