hemotoma in upper abdomen after LHS | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hemotoma in upper abdomen after LHS hemotoma in upper abdomen after LHS

Unread 12-13-2007, 07:49 AM
hemotoma in upper abdomen after LHS

My surgery was on 10/26/07 done lapacopically - full hystorectomy except I kept my cervix. I was in the hospital for 4 days, due to increasing amounts of pain under my rib cage on the left side. I was sent home and after 4 days the pain grew and I still could not eat anything.

The prep for the operation had irritated the lining of my stomach and intestines and they started pumping me with bags and bags of anitbiotics.

I was readmitted and assigned a gastro doctor. He ran a bunch of gall bladder tests, but that wasn't it. Had an ultrasound, but they said due to "body habitus" they couldn't get clear readings (too fat being the meaning behind that). I may be a little overweight, but not more than 40 pounds or so... After 5 more days in the hospital and no forward motion, I decided to go home and rest there since that was all I was doing at the hospital.

After being home for about 4 hours my left arm went numb, as well as the left side of my face and the pain got worse. I was readmitted to the hospital again and stayed for another 4 days with no forward motion. Still couldn't eat anything but the famous brown salty water and jello from the hospital.

I went back to the gastro after this last trip and told him that there was something really wrong. He ordered another ultrasound and they discovered a hemotoma the size of a small lemon between my belly button and stomach area. The surgeon said we would measure it for several months and if it doesn't disapate we will have to go back in and remove it. He said one of my main arteries was nicked during surgery and this bleed had settled and encased itself as it thickened.

Is there anyone out there that has had any experience like this. The pain is awful, and even though I've had to go back to work - it hurts all of the time. I don't like to take the pain pills, so I've been toughing it out most of the time. My pain prior to the surgery was nothing like this, and I thought that was unbearable.

I sure could use some help if you know anyone that has had any type of similar experience. Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2007, 08:46 AM

s

Am so sorry you are needing to deal with all this.
I've not had your experience, but hope that anyone who has, shall come along soon and share.

Have you considered getting a second opinion? I know you've had a lot going on.............timewise, financially, emotionally and physically.......to even feel like adding anything onto your platter. But, it sounds like you've experienced some neurological symptoms that don't seem to equate with your diagnosis. There may have been more going on than an oozing artery. If you have any more numbness or trouble moving anything......go to an ER immediately. In any case, I think it would be prudent to check in with a good neurologist, and take along a copy of your surgical report, as well as any recent xrays.

You sound strong and determined. Hope this is but a memory before too long for you. Take care...................s......Deb
Unread 12-14-2007, 07:05 AM

My dearest lighter2,
I am so sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. I will be very interested to see how you progess and get well.
I have posted previously asking if anyone has actually had a hematoma resolve on its own without having to be drained. I came home with a huge hematoma above my incision on the left side. It was putting pressure on my nerves, veins, and bowels and was THE SOURCE of all my excruiciating pain, above and beyond any incision. I could not sit unless I barely placed the edge of my behind on the end of a chair, I could not stand or walk without holding the buldge with two hands because it felt like it was going to be an alien explosion scene any minute if I didn't. Dr. said just to wait to let it resolve on it's own. In desperation to become at least semi-functional, I decided to try wearing pantyhose to support it and be able to do something with my hands, -like brush my teeth, etc. The good news is, initially, I released most of the pressure and can now sit, stand and walk. The bad news is I just simply redistributed the "pooling of blood", so that my entire abdomen is filled with fluid. I can't even wear sweat pants that are 2 sizes larger than more normal, because they hurt too much. Okay, I CAN wear them, and I do, but I have to roll everything down to be below my incision, otherwise, it just hurts too much and swells more. The other bad news is it just seems to be filling up with more pressure again. So far, my Dr. keeps telling me to just wait. Since I can't wear anything except maybe maternity clothes if I go buy some, I cannot go out in public. Today, I am calling my general dr. and than getting a recommendation for second and third opinions. (I learned this from my parents, eventually, you will find someone who cares...) My dr, hasn't even tried to take a picture of mine, so they are not even sure of what they are dealing with.

I hope you can find a dr. that will listen to you, a woman who knows your body better than any text book. Be committed to your own health, and be persistent in forcing the darn insurance companies to approve the procedures that you need.

Please keep me posted on how you are doing. I'll be adding you to my prayer list.

Blessings and hugs,
Patty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2007, 07:34 AM
some relief

Patty, I'm so sorry to hear that you are having such difficulties too. While I was in the hospital the 2nd time I found a gasterologist that believed in me. He believed that I knew something was not right, and he was persistant and supportive. He's the only reason that they have even located the hemotoma, and he sent me to the nicest surgeon that I believe will also continue to work in my best interest. My hemotoma is also on my left side just above my bellybutton and also is putting pressure on all of the same things you mentioned. I'm so glad that you shared with me about the swelling, as I thought that there might be even more stuff wrong cuz that seems to be getting worse too. I haven't been taking the pain pills very often, and the nausea is overwhelming too. The pain pills just make the digestive issues worse, so i've been trying to "tough it out". I'll be thinking about you, and my prayers are also with you. Lauren
Unread 12-14-2007, 08:31 AM

I am so sorry you are going through this. I have a hematoma above my belly button on my right side. It soes the same thing with the shooting pains under my rebs so that I can't even stand up. Mine was found three weeks post op and I just had another CAT scan done on Saturday to check and see if it is getting smaller. I don't find out until Monday when I have my doctors appt. and get the results. I must say I do believe it is getting better because the pain is less. Maybe I am just so used to it now? I don't know, but at least it doesn't take my breath away any more. I will be praying you find relief.
Janelle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register