Sense of taste changed post-op - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sense of taste changed post-op Sense of taste changed post-op

Unread 12-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Sense of taste changed post-op

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysterhelp42
Am I imagining this? My sense of taste seems to have changed. I had a TAH (kept one ovary). I used to crave all kinds of sweets (chocolate, cookies, cake) and now I don't really care for them. We had a Christmas party at work today and I didn't even touch the desserts! That's something I have never experienced before. Has any one else had this happen? My sense of smell seems keener too. Am I just losing my mind? LOL.
No you are not losing your mind. I have never been a sweet person, but even less so since my surgery, AND !!! if anything smells, looks,tastes the least bit "off" forget it!!!

I have NEVER smoked, my DH who has off and on smoked, I have sort of tolerated it (he has NOT smoked in the house or around me in years) and I could sort of deal going in his car until now. Today I told him whenever we go anywhere together we have to take my car, because I cannot, as in I CAN NOT , WILL NOT deal with the smell. It makes me so sick now I do

Anyway I know got off track, but I think our sense of smell, taste get thrown off after our surgeries for some reason.

Barri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2007, 04:22 AM

My sense of taste was off each time I had surgery. Mostly turned off of chocolate and other sweets. Unfortunately it always came back withing a few weeks.
Unread 12-14-2007, 05:13 AM

On the good side, my roommate's been trying to get me to kick my Diet Coke habit since he moved in. No prob now, it's like drinking chemical soup. I didn't have any caffeine in hospital either so even if this just keeps up for another week I'll be off the stuff.

On the bad side, he made spaghetti for supper last night, and he used just a touch of garlic salt on the garlic bread. I swear it had more salt than a salt lick. He also cooked the peas that we had with just a half a teaspoon of sugar and it tasted like he drowned them in syrup.

The other thing that I've noticed is that I have no desire for any sweets (other than fruit juice). I have an entire stocking full of chocolate from St Nicks day. It sure looks pretty, but I think roomie's going to get a lot of it snuck into his stocking.

I think no appetite is a side effect of the narcotics, that happened when I had surgery 6 months ago on my back, but the taste thing is new for this surgery. It must be the hormones. It seems like my body wants healthy food now. I hope that desire stays. I need to lose a bunch of weight and this will make that so much less work than dieting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2007, 06:42 AM

My sense of taste changed as well. Probably due to all the meds they had me on. Once I got off the pain meds, antibiotics, stool softeners, gas relievers etc... my sense of taste has returned nearly to normal. The one thing I still have no desire to eat is blue cheese. Before the surgery, I couldn't get enough of the stuff! Now it just tastes yucky. Plain strawberries (no sugar!) now taste great to me whereas before the surgery I only liked them if they were dipped in powdered sugar.

I bet this is due to the drug coctails they have us on.....
Unread 12-14-2007, 06:43 AM

Good for you.....I have no appetite still....maybe it's my thyroid condition too....but I had a total hysterectomy, so I don't knwo which it is
Unread 12-14-2007, 12:51 PM

Hi thanks for the reply....what does TAH/BSO, successfully completed October 31, 2007 mean?
Unread 12-14-2007, 05:10 PM
sense of hearing changed

I think I read somewhere on the internet that many women who have TAH that start into perimenopause or menopause have a changed sense of hearing. Everything is ultra-sensitive, I guess.

The journey continues. TAH 12/05/2007
Unread 12-14-2007, 05:46 PM

This is too funny. In a weird way. I am convinced that my change of taste is due to the residual anesthetic in my bloodstream. It takes 6 weeks to completely rid your body of it. I had an off taste in my mouth that made fresh fruit taste good, but nothing else seemed good. I have tried to maintain that healthy food choice since the surgery as I am losing a few pounds due to it.

What I am finding funny about this is that since surgery, we've gone out to eat twice, and both times I didn't eat my meal. That isn't like me at all. There is only once instance of me not eating a restaraunt meal. (That's another story!) Anyway, I left these meals because they were intolerably salty, and I told the managers about it ( also not like me, but I hate paying cash for less than mediocre food. I can have THAT at home!)

I have noticed the change in sound, also, but have linked it to the pain medications. Things sound extremely loud until the pain meds begin to wear off. Things are an absolute din!

I am taking estrogen, so am convinced this is med related. A friend ( an RN since Viet Nam, her DH is a surgeon ) said "breathe as deep as you can to get all the residual anesthetics out of your lungs. And walk. Then walk some more. It does more for getting this out of your system than anything else." So fill your lungs up as full and you can, and breathe out every molecule you can possibly squeeze from you lungs. And do it many times daily.

And I thought it was just me.....heh heh heh
Diana
Unread 12-14-2007, 07:21 PM

I thought it was just me. I used to have a sweet tooth but now I have no desire for sweets. It has been 2-1/2 weeks since surgery and all I have had is maple syrup. Even fruit juice is too sweet. I have lost 15 pounds already. Another problem I have is overwhelming hunger sensations and if I don't eat I get nauseous and start gagging. It has gotten better though. I can't stand the smell of my dh's soap or cologne or any type of air freshner.
Anyone out there with migraine headaches? I am not doing HRT. My mother had breast cancer 3 times. I was sure hoping to feel better by now.
Justonian
Unread 12-14-2007, 08:22 PM

fkmp-

I think sleep troubles are common after this surgery. I had lots of trouble.

tw

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register