Sense of taste changed post-op - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sense of taste changed post-op Sense of taste changed post-op

Unread 12-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Sense of taste changed post-op

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyon
I think I read somewhere on the internet that many women who have TAH that start into perimenopause or menopause have a changed sense of hearing. Everything is ultra-sensitive, I guess.

The journey continues. TAH 12/05/2007
I had attributed the acute hearing to the pain meds but now I hope its not something that sticks around. Sometimes it's like my head is a small metal room where all the sounds bounce around and just kills.
At the hospital after surgery I couldn't sleep at night at all and my Dr presribed ambien saying lots of people can't sleep for months after surgery. I've never had sleep issues before, but its been so nice to have the ambien at my disposal to ensure a full night sleep. Im such a light sleeper normally, and now I snooze through it all.
I wish I wasn't hungry for sweets like many of you, I think im definitely gaining a few lbs!! Cookies, carmel corn, more cookies, it's ridiculous!
I was gonna ask when the swelly belly goes away, but w my eating it may never!! Haha no really, when does it usually go down? I didn't have an incision, but still feel bloated.
Thanks ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2007, 01:30 PM

I just don't seem to want to eat more than once a day. If I eat early in the morning then I want nothing else. If I lose weight because of it I can handle it.
Unread 12-27-2007, 03:38 PM

I still don't want to eat much either. I'm down almost 20 pounds in the 3 weeks since my surgery. I could lose 50+ more, so I'll ride this train as long as I can as long as the doc says it's ok. I saw my GP doctor yesterday and he did some labs to make sure everything is OK, and they all checked out just fine. This isn't because of my thyroid or sugar levels.

I still can't eat anything that is sweet. Roomie made the sweet potato casserole with marshmallows on top for christmas and I couldn't eat more than the first spoonful. Same for the peach cobbler and Ice Cream that he made for dessert. It's so sweet it's almost offensive. My diet coke still tastes like chemical soup. That's OK though. After reading about what nutrisweet really is and does to a body, I'm glad to have kicked the caffeine addiction during this time.

I'm not going to sweat it as long as my doctor supports it and keeps checking that my weight loss isn't a problem. Our bodies have just been through one heck of a procedure, and those of us that lost ovaries also have hormonal changes. For me it's a matter of accepting that and seeing where it takes me. I had artichokes and asparagus between both of the family feasts. I never liked either of them much, and both of those are much more tasty now then they were before. The same for green beans.

It may be wierd, but I'm eating less food and better quality. I had a problem with estrogen overload before so maybe this is my body moving toward normal because that problem was removed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register