Laparoscopic Hysterectomy: TLH pain, can anyone relate? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laparoscopic Hysterectomy: TLH pain, can anyone relate? Laparoscopic Hysterectomy: TLH pain, can anyone relate?

Unread 12-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Laparoscopic Hysterectomy: TLH pain, can anyone relate?

HI there,

I guess I really felt that since this was done lap, I should be totally fine and ready to go to the mall, lunch, shopping. I hear so many people who have a Lap hyst without removing the cervix....and they are back at work at this time.

I DID have my cervix removed.....but I still have major pain inside.

I called the doc today, she is the best. She said it is normal....I asked her if she left something in there...she was like what do you mean, but I really meant, is there a reason why the right side hurts so much more? Like did you leave scar tissue or see something...I felt bad I offended her and will make sure to clear it up at my 2 week post op on Monday!

Anyways, I think the TLH thought is that we will be out and recovered back to work by now.....I am 11 days post op and I still have stabbing pulling pain, am very tired and sore.

I have had many previous surgeries, this one is kicking my behind!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2007, 07:57 PM

You are not alone! I had my surgery Mon & I have basically been in bed. My abdomen is so bloated, swollen, & sore. I dread getting in & out of bed or changing positions as it feels as if each time I move (& eat) my insides shift. I'm still having pains up my neck & back .... I'm assuming from the gas that was used. I am not hungry, but have been trying to eat small, frequent snacks ... but each time after eating even just a small amount I feel so full. Like you, I didn't think it would be this "bad" after having it all done lap. .... And I dread that first bowel movement!!
Hang in there .... I've talked with others & they told me it was at least 6 -8 weeks until they could wear regular pants & felt "normal"
Best of luck to you for a speedy, healthy recovery!
Unread 12-13-2007, 08:18 PM

This makes me feel better.....My worst day so far was 8 days out.....I couldn't poop, fart and was very uncomfortable. At that time, I didn't really have pain related to the pulling and such, but then the poop and farts came out and now I feel the pulling pain.

I have had 2 csections and gastric bypass, and a tubal pregnancy removed....all seemed easier than this, but as my doctor said, "maybe I just don't remember that pain because it was so long ago..." which could be true!

Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2007, 08:41 PM

It's true "misery does love company!" Please keep me posted as well on your recovery. I was looking at some of the other forums - it seems back pain is also another common symptom. My lower back is also killing me & I just assumed it was from sleeping in a 45 degree angle & being in bed. A suggestion someone mentioned was a heating pad ... I think I'll give it a try!
Take care & stay in touch!
Unread 12-13-2007, 08:54 PM

Ohhhh, try the heating pad. It feels so so good. I lay on my side at night and put it up on my side and belly and it feels so so nice.

Keep me posted!
Unread 12-13-2007, 09:57 PM

I hear ya! I will be 7 days post op tomorrow and I still feel like crap! I literally stayed in bed all day today. I too thought I should be feeling much better than I am. My DH keeps saying that once this is all done I will be so happy, but it seems like that is lightyears away!
Unread 12-14-2007, 12:06 PM

I had my TLH on Tues and I'm having very little pain and I think the reason is because I'm really staying on top of my pain meds. I have a piece of paper next to me and I write down when I take them.

I think the ibuprofen is the most important because it reduces the inflammation and swelling. Ibuprofen's inflammation reducing abilities don't really begin to work until after you've taken it regularly for awhile so don't give up on it!

I alternate with vicodin. I was taking 2 vicodin every 4 hours since surgery but today I've reduced it to 1 every 4 hours. Tomorrow i'll go to 1 every 6 hours or none at all.

I'm also taking the homeopathic remedy arnica 6 times a day. It is supposed to reduce inflammation/swelling as well and I think it really works.

Last night was my first full night without pain meds and yes...i woke up a little sore...but not bad. I immediately ate some crackers and hummus so i could take some ibuprofen.

I did this same protocol with my lap last Dec and was pain free in 4 days. Seems to be working pretty well so far.

All is not perfect over here though. I am feeling weak and nauseous today - didn't feel like this the last two days. I'ts not too bad - I mean I still have an appetite - but it's there today when it wasn't yesterday. I wonder what is up with that? I do take everything with food. I think maybe I felt so good yesterday that I overdid it. Today I'll rest more.

Everyone is different - the important thing is to listen to our bodies and nurture them - give them what they need. i think mine needs a little chocolate right now. Just a little nibble...

Unread 12-14-2007, 12:56 PM

I forgot to mention bromelain. I'm taking that too and it's important to mention. It helps reduce pain and swelling post surgery and lessen need for pain meds. Just google "bromelain post surgery recovery" and you can read up on it. The key is to take it between meals.
Unread 12-14-2007, 01:12 PM
TLH pain....

I had a TLH in September and I just had to let you all know that it WILL get better and you WILL feel normal soon.

I had some slight discomfort early on, appetite changes, and still feel tired sometimes. The good news is that I now feel better than I had in nearly 10 years and am doing things that I thought were long-distance memories. I don't even care what the scale says at this point....I feel good and am enjoying my husband and family more than I can ever remember. I am exercising, eating well, drinking lots of water and moving without any kind of pain. It's a Wonderful Life!
Unread 12-14-2007, 01:21 PM

i think removing the cervix makes a big difference in pain and recovery. in general it seems to make the recovery more painful and longer. dont feel bad that you arent up and around..you just had major surgery. i know its frustrating but you should be feeling well within the next few weeks

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register