Laparoscopic Hysterectomy: TLH pain, can anyone relate? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laparoscopic Hysterectomy: TLH pain, can anyone relate? Laparoscopic Hysterectomy: TLH pain, can anyone relate?

Unread 12-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Laparoscopic Hysterectomy: TLH pain, can anyone relate?

Give it time ladies....even a TLH is major trauma on your body...I had the DaVinci one...4, one inch incisions abdominally.....no vaginal entry whatsoever, and my swelly belly was terrible for almost 2 months....there is alot of internal healing that needs to take place...I felt better at 1 and 2 weeks than I did at 3 and 4 because I started to do too much......alot of docs, like mine, even with the Lap approach will still tell you 6 weeks for limitations...so rest up and try to have some patience...it does get better....I am so glad now.....I even found it hard to vacuum until about 2 months....also, my doc had warned me that at about 2 weeks I would start feeling some stabbing or burning pains in my sides..pelvic area...this would be from scar tissue forming and also from nerve endings that are repairing themselves and waking back up...heating pad and ice were my best friends for first few weeks......better hesitant and safe than trying to expect too much...good luck in recovery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2007, 02:33 PM

I had my LSH last Friday and I'm still on the Vicodin every 6 hours and moving pretty slowly. In fact, I feel a little more sore now than I did a few days ago. I assume that's because I'm moving a little more, but I'm still taking it easy. I'm assuming the pulling feeling is from the healing process and I know eventually it will get better. I still don't have much appetite, but I'm fluffy, anyway, so I'm enjoying that part! Some days I feel pretty good, some days I'm really tired. It's all just the healing process. My doctor said even with LSH I could be wiped out for six weeks. She said it's normal to be tired for a long time while your body is directing it's energy at healing.
Unread 12-14-2007, 07:50 PM

I need to practice patience and I guess this is the perfect time to do it. I was talking about having little pain in my earlier post today but tonight I'm having more than I had before. I jumped the gun - I think I started to do a little too much around the house and tonight I'm paying for it.

The nurse at the hospital that checked me out said that I would want to get back to normal activities in 3 days! I'm not kidding. My Dr said 5 days. I really appreciate everyone on this site saying that their Drs told them that it takes time. It's like I need to be reminded that our bodies went thru major trauma. I'm really going to slow down now and let my body heal.

My Dr was great but I'm not thrilled with the amount of info I got from him regarding post op. I'm so grateful for this community!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2007, 07:41 AM

Hi Tammy,
You only get one chance to heal, so take care of yourself & do it rght. I was told to lift nothing heavier than a gallon of milk (approx 8 lbs), no vacuuming, & steps once a day until my postop appt which is 1/10. I was told I could drive when I was off pain med & felt "like I could." Like you, my surgeon is supposedly the best where I live, but the amount of info I got from him potop was ZERO. The surgeon gave my husband pictures of the endo/etc, but I NEVER saw him postop - only residents that are on his team, but were not in the actual surgery. I tried to ask them questions about the surgery, but they could not give me details as they were not there & the intraoperative not was not completed .... quite frustrating! This website is a great source of support!
Good luck & take care of yourself!
Unread 12-15-2007, 10:12 AM

Thank you Sclighthouse. I hope I haven't messed up my healing by being too active the first couple of days. Last night I slept 9 hours straight which means I didn't take any pain meds for those 9 hours and I can sure feel it this morning! My husband is home today and he's going to make sure that I take it easy!

Thanks again and good luck with your healing!
Unread 12-15-2007, 11:23 AM

teacherangel- I know exactly what you're going through. I had my TLH on Nov 6 and could not understand why, when removing organs-presuming empty space should have been created; why my abdomin felt more bloated than my worst-ever period. I still have no idea the answer to why, but I can say it does get better. I think the medical profession is remiss in the pre-op and post-op recommendations for these procedures. My primary care doc is a naturepath who prepared me very well. She had me taking B-complex & S.A.T. to beef up my system plus eating jello to thicken blood. As a consequence I lost very little blood and had no infections. Then the post op constipation I treated with Detox tea...... let me tell you I still can't live without my Detox! All these treatments are not recognized by the AMA, but work well nonetheless. Find a health food store, they should have a good Detox tea, which will help you purge out anesthesia, pain killers and poop. Keep us up on your progress.
Unread 12-15-2007, 11:26 AM

over40dq - are you using Yogi Detox tea?
Unread 12-17-2007, 10:21 AM

The brand is Wellements- Daily Detox. Any will due, Most are similar, with the common thread of Milk thistle, Yellow dock, fenugreek and burdock. The additional stuff is for flavor and unique-ness by brand. You'll be singing the poop song soon after.
Unread 12-17-2007, 01:54 PM

You're not alone - I am 11 days out from my LSH and still feel like crap. I can manage about 20-30 minutes of tidying house before I'm exhausted. Been working from home since last Wed and even spending the day answering emails and talking on phone while laying down feels like too much. I keep hoping I'll feel better tomorrow... Reading about women who are shopping, going out to dinner and having sex at this point makes me feel like such a **** wimp. I am frustrated that Christmas is around the corne and I can't get it together.

FWIW, I had a myomectomy 5 years ago with a huge incision versus my tiny ones now, but this LSH feels much worse inside - aches, pains, cramps - and super fatigue.
Unread 12-17-2007, 02:13 PM

May be that is what I need!!!!! I have been taking 3-4 Colace since postop - & no action. Yesterday I took the max dose of MOM (once in am & again in pm) & no luck (I even followed it by a hot tea). This am I took 2 Colace & another max dose of MOM followed by hot tea .... now 7 hrs later, I am just beginning to get result (twice) ... though it's pure liquid BM ...uugghhh!! It's amazing how even a liquid BM can make it feel like you had a major accomplishment!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register