Bowel movements question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel movements question Bowel movements question

Unread 12-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Bowel movements question

Seems most bowel movement info is old and I could not reply to the messages. I'm 6 days post op and until last night and this a.m., hadn't had a BM. I walk lots, eat fruit and drink water, take Citrucel pills. Colace in the hospital. Wonder which one is better? Anyway, I've probably eaten 10 solid meals. Where did they go? I sense I've gotta use some Dulcolax laxative pills that I used pre-op. It WILL help, I hope. I mean, it helped THEN. Maybe sleepy from anesthesia intestines need time. I just dunno.....

thanks much gals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Bowel movements question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagnproud
Seems most bowel movement info is old and I could not reply to the messages. I'm 6 days post op and until last night and this a.m., hadn't had a BM. I walk lots, eat fruit and drink water, take Citrucel pills. Colace in the hospital. Wonder which one is better? Anyway, I've probably eaten 10 solid meals. Where did they go? I sense I've gotta use some Dulcolax laxative pills that I used pre-op. It WILL help, I hope. I mean, it helped THEN. Maybe sleepy from anesthesia intestines need time. I just dunno.....

thanks much gals

I had the exact same problem and eventually tried a laxative. That was not exactly the best choice as it causes extra gas and crampings, but I did go a little.

The best advice I can give you is to eat apples, pistachios (sp?) and eat activia yogurt - prune flavor. I think the combination helped me. That and walking and drinking tons and I do mean tons of water.

Good luck! The first few are horribly painful , but after that it does get better.
Unread 12-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Bowel movements question

Quote:

thanks much gals
Did you do a bowel prep? Sometimes it just has to ""fill up" again, Dulcolax stool softeners help, and you don't get the rush or pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Bowel movements question

Quote:

thanks much gals
My dr. told me to try Milk of Magnesium and boy it worked like a miracle. I did not get extra gas and I maybe ask your dr. to see if you can take it.
Good luck.
Unread 12-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Bowel movements question

milk of magnesia is much more gentle than dulcolax. you might want to try that instead...you shouldnt get cramping and gas with it. good luck
Unread 12-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Bowel movements question

Hi, I had a huge problem with constipation as well. My doctor told me to use Milk of Magnesia but it didn't really help...I thought. I started having severe cramping and called my doctor who then said to try Dulcolax. That made the cramping worse and then I ended up with watery diarrhea , dehydrated and in the ER. Finally, I started using Miralax and that did the trick. It is not a bowel stimulant so no cramping. It just draws more water from your body into the colon and is very safe to take even for an extended period of time. I also used stool softeners for awhile which also helped. Take care. It will get better. Blessings, Lisa
Unread 12-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Bowel movements question

I also read to use Miralax. It is now OTC, so far so good with me. I have heard from a friend who I call a "constipattion queen" that many times the pills are not effective b/c not enough water is used with them.

Tip on the Miralax--mix and let sit for 30 mins to an hour and it goes down much better
Unread 12-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Bowel movements question

They gave me a dulcolax suppository in the hospital on day 3. It worked and since I've been home, I drink TONS of water & tea, eat lots of fresh fruit (including prunes), nuts (almonds and pistachios), and try to walk around the house as much as possible. I also take colace every day and Miralax only when needed. Good luck.
Unread 12-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Bowel movements question

in addition to colace, I used a glycerine supp on day 5 and worked like a charm! Natural and only took about 20 minutes to work.
Unread 12-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Bowel movements question

They started me on Dulcolax (the slow acting stuff) as soon as I had solid foods in the hospital the day after my procedure. I continued at home and had a very non-painful, easy BM the morning after I came home. I'm still taking them (one in the morning, one in the evening) because I'm still on the percocet. I also drink a couple of glasses of juice daily, and DH has been making the most beautiful salads for supper so I get my veggies and roughage in. So far so good.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register