How long on pain meds? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long on pain meds? How long on pain meds?

Unread 12-15-2007, 09:45 AM
How long on pain meds?

My doc only prescribed 25 percocet, despite the fact that I had complications and am now healing in multiple areas and fighting a bladder infection. My surgery started as a TVH (incision #1), then the assisting doc perforated my bladder (incision #2), and the repair of the bladder required them to open me up abdominally (incision # 3). The good news is that when I called my doc 2 days ago and asked for more meds, he had absolutely no problem prescribing another 25. The past couple of days I've been taking them every 6 hours instead of 4 and it seems to work fine. However, my body definitely reminds me if I've gone too far past the 6 hour mark. If I keep progressing at my current pace, I should be able to recovery with just ibuprofen around my 2 week check-up, or shortly thereafter. Hang in there ladies - - - this too shall pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2007, 09:57 AM
How long on pain meds?

I only took mine for three nights afterwards. But everyone is different .
Unread 12-15-2007, 11:45 AM
How long on pain meds?

I'm at day 4 and I keep trying to go off the vicodin but no luck. About an hour after I'm due my body screams for more. So I'll take them at the regular dosing times today and try again to wean myself off tomorrow. If it doesn't work... well... I'll just keep taking them.

Just trying to take it slow now and take each day as it comes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2007, 02:19 PM
How long on pain meds?

Day 8 and i'm still doing percocet every 4-5 hours. My surgery was pretty intense though, and my swelly belly is all the way up to my diaphragm because of the omentectomy. I'm giving myself 3 more days and then I'll try to wean off of it.
Unread 12-15-2007, 07:07 PM
How long on pain meds?

My doctor doesn't want me to "wean" myself from pain meds. In fact, when I spoke with her on Thursday, she asked me how many Percoset I had remaining with the intention of calling in more. I requested a med change because of some sleep difficulty I've had. She called in 30 Vicodin and told me that I could take them with Motrin during the day and suggested taking the bedtime dose with 2 Tylenol PM to assist me in sleeping. I'm 9 days post-op and I know I have a low pain tolerance. I fully intend to keep taking the meds according to doctor's orders until I see her next Friday. I read somewhere on this site that when we are in pain, our body uses more energy to help us cope with pain and it takes away from our healing.....I think I like that philosophy. Staying loopy on pain meds guarantees I'll rest and not drive. That's a good thing, too. Be Well!
Unread 12-16-2007, 01:15 AM
How long on pain meds?

I was prescribed Percoset and by the 4th day I was determined to not need it the next I hated the way it made me feel.

While in the hospital the morphine that I controlled I used very little.

The pain I was going through at home 3 days out of every week was so bad that any pain after surgery was nothing like it.

I did keep ibuprofen going for a few days and then off & on after.
Unread 12-16-2007, 07:44 AM
How long on pain meds?

My doctor prescribed Hydrocodone....I took it when I got home on the 13th,then took it again on the 14th.........did not like the feeling....so I started with Advil.....took that yesterday and dont feel like I need it yet today......the only thing that really hurts is a pain that runs from my neck to my head(when I am laying down)......

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register