Silver Nitrate Treatment...Again | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Silver Nitrate Treatment...Again Silver Nitrate Treatment...Again

Unread 12-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Silver Nitrate Treatment...Again

Hi everyone - went to the gyno office today and the nurse practitioner did another silver nitrate treatment to me (I had one done at my 6-week check on the 21st of November). It had burned like crazy then and also had a yeast infection (which I found out about like 10 days after) - and now it's burning like crazy again. I know when she looked at me when I had the yeast infection she stated she thought I might have been having a reaction to the silver nitrate, and I mentioned that to her this time and she just stated this was the "only thing that could be done" and that she would "only dab it on a tiny bit".

Well, first off my abdomen was very tender still and had my abdominal hysterectomy on the 10th of October...they had stated I would be "completely healed" and "wouldn't have pain anymore". Well, I do and apparently my insides hadn't healed all the way for her to do a silver nitrate treatment on me and schedule me for an ultrasound next week to make sure there's nothing else happening inside (altho she stated she highly doubted it this far out and with no fever, etc.)

I can't be the only one with abdominal pain only 2 months from surgery - but to hear her talk I'm like some kind of anomaly - in fact she said I could take something "for anxiety" - but uh...I'm sure if I was just hallucinating she wouldn't have done the cauterization and scheduled me for an ultrasound. She also stated that my pain might be more prevalent because I am thin and that some people heal faster than others. She further stated that some women need to have the silver nitrate three times before they heal up.

Personally, I feel a bit offended - first off saying that I'd be completely healed by now when I'm apparently not...secondly to be told I need to take Lexapro or something for the next couple months to help me "deal with it" - like I was blowing it all out of proportion.

I'm also in more pain again - hopefully from the silver nitrate and not another yeast infection - but it's burning and my abdomen is very sore again. Has anyone out there had multiple silver nitrate treatments? Just wondering what they experienced from it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2007, 01:08 AM

I have had 3 silver nitrate treatments and am going for another one on Tuesday, it's really frustrating to have to keep going in because I'm spotting all the time. I had my surgery on Sept. 4 and am looking forward to the day I no longer have to wear pads. I have had abdominal pain on and off for almost 2 months. I was told I have gall stones, and diverticulitis and that it has nothing to do with my hysterectomy. I'm not sure I believe that. I hope you get this problem resolved soon. Maybe you'll get some answers after you have your ultrasound.
Unread 12-15-2007, 05:21 AM

I can completely understand your frustrations. I have had countless complications from what was supposed to be (and after the fact was purported to be) a simple 30-minute TVH. My doctor has literally been in shock from the numerous issues I have suffered. It could be that your nurse practitioner is the one with the anxiety, thinking you SHOULD be healed by now, and she's not understanding why. And like you were told, I have been told repeatedly that someone "my size" (I am fairly thin) just shouldn't have complications, which I find to be absolutely asinine. Complications are a possibility regardless of size, as is chronic pain.

My suggestion at this point, is that you insist on seeing your actual doctor, rather than the NP. I would then let the doc know that you were offended at being written off as an anxiety-ridden woman who is imagining things. I have taken several docs and NPs for that matter, to task over their THINKING they knew better what was going on inside me than I did. I realize many people aren't that tuned into what goes on in their bodies; however, it sounds like you are, and I would therefore be tirelessly insistent until you get a satisfactory response from your surgeon.

All that said, did she allude to any possible reason why you wouldn't have healed properly? Because that is the question I would pose to the surgeon, along with "how many more silver nitrate 'experiences' do I yet have to look forward to?" Also, that surgeon MUST know that you are still having abdominal pain. Don't trust that the NP is going to pass on your comments to the surgeon just as you're relaying them...

I will keep you in my thoughts and hope you will keep us updated. As someone who is also still not healed (surgery on 10/15), my heart goes out to you.
d.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2007, 08:32 AM

I hope your doing better.

I had the siver nitrate treatment four times but mine was on the abdomen becasue my incision collected fluid and the dr. opened that part of the incision and the first treatment was about week after that happened. Well then yesterday 5 weeks later he finally sealed the incision.

But my abdomen would be very sore after the treatments, and oh boy does it burn, and itch, and just plain hurt. I would have to come home and go straight to bed.
I hope this helps.
Unread 12-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Delayed healing

I had an LAVH, LSO, lysis of adhesions, and destruction of endometriosis on 6/11/07. Had 4 silver nitrate treatments because the bloody/yellow discharge would not stop. I was told that the 4th one would do the trick but it didn't. I was still left with a constant yellow discharge. The problem with discharge is that the moistness is the perfect atmosphere to develop infection. Early on I was treated with intravaginal gel. I was given Flagly pills after the fourth treatment. The yellow discharge continued so I had cryosurgery (freezing) in the office a few weeks ago. I still see a yellow discharge occasionally. I hope that the moistness does not cause another infection. Right now I am hoping for the best and have adopted a wait & see attitude. Best wishes to all of you dealing with this situation!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register