Normal activities in 3 days? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Normal activities in 3 days? Normal activities in 3 days?

Unread 12-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Normal activities in 3 days?

The discharge nurse told me that I should resume normal activities in 3 days. On the discharge papers she gave me to take home they actually say to resume normal activites immediately and she wrote nothing next to lifting restrictions.

My Dr. had been unclear on lifting restrictions but told told me not to do any heavy lifting and that I would want to resume normal activities in 5 days.

I think I was starting to push myself a little early because of these instructions. I stopped that!

Oh...the discharge nurse also wrote that I could drive in 24 hours.

It's day 4 and there is no way I could resume normal activities. Or drive.

I'm taking it easy and letting myself heal. I don't plan to drive for at least 2 weeks because I don't have to. I am NOT resuming normal activities until I feel absolutely up to it. I am doing everything I learned here from all of your experiences.

Normal activities? - I'm a potter. I work with clay on a wheel. I lift, push, pull.

Should I complain about the discharge nurse? I mean...what if I never came across Hystersisters and didn't learn all the things that I've learned. I could really hurt myself - couldn't I?

I had a TLH removing my uterus and cervix on Tues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2007, 11:27 AM

HI TAMMY I had a tlh ovariea uterus and cervix removed had mine a day after yours.was told to take it easy. no vacuming, ironing long car rides no driving while under heavy meds, no haevy lifting. Just walk around the house,prepare light meals. how did you find the laproscopic to be? NONE of it is fun but the dr. said the recovery time is shorter. I"m happy it"s over had postmenopausal bleeding and atypical hyperplasia but NO CANCER FOUND THANK GOD. biopsy was done while I was still under
Unread 12-15-2007, 01:36 PM

Hi Tammy -

It seems crazy to suggest normal activities in 3 weeks let alone 3 days.

I was told no lifting more than 10 pounds, no vacuuming, no sweeping and no sex. But I was also told to take my time and only do things as I felt well enough. One thing I found is that bending over was bad for the first 3 weeks. It's fine now, but it made me sore later and wore me out.

Even with a lap procedure you still had major surgery. It will take time for your body to heal and everything to find a "new home" in your abdomen.

Enjoy your rest. This is one of the few times that we get to really do that.

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2007, 07:41 PM

Good gracious! I was given very specific discharge instructions on what I could and couldn't do. My doctor told me "Nothing in my vagina for 6 weeks, no tub baths for 6 weeks, no driving until she's seen me at my 2 week post op visit, short walks but mostly stay off my feet, etc..." My doctor's orders were nearly the same as the "Do's & Don'ts" list here at Hyster Sisters. In fact, I've seen NOTHING on this site that contradicts what my doctor has told me thus far. My hyster was done vaginally, I have no external stitches or incisions to heal. I can't imagine being able to hop up and do some of the things you have mentioned even 9 days post op. Take good care of yourself........and get a second opinion!
Unread 12-15-2007, 07:52 PM

I'm 2 1/2 weeks post SAH- and there's NO WAY I could be back to "normal activities" yet. Not just physically not ready, my stamina isn't back and I'm just now getting to where I don't need Percocet at least once a day. Laparoscopic is different, but not that different that you could go back to normal after 3 days. Please call your doctor's office (yes, even on the weekend!) and speak with the on-call doctor.

Don't worry, though- it gets much better. Just resist the urge to do too much too fast.

Best of luck and God bless you!
Unread 12-15-2007, 09:18 PM

Hi there,
My nurse discharge papers said no driving, sex, baths, lifting, housework for 2 weeks until my post op appointmet. I also had a TLH. So, I would be really mad at the nurse.

I went out shopping today for xmas and am pooped. I feel better each day but I would not be able to work or lift, or sex for awhile. If I sneeze, cough or lift off the bed, I am still sore.

How do you feel otherwise?
Unread 12-15-2007, 11:36 PM

Three days seems extreme. I did notice that the nurses' instructions were a bit different than my surgeons instructions. Whenever I asked for clarification, it came back with the nurse following the surgeon's instructions. I received great care in the hospital, but I was left wondering why some nurses followed instructions to the exact letter, and some didn't.
Unread 12-16-2007, 05:55 AM

i would just follow youre surgeons instructions and do what you feel up to doing. if you arent sure about something, you could call the office tomorrow to ask. hope you feel better soon
Unread 12-16-2007, 07:43 AM

Thanks. I'm just ignoring the nurses instructions but I am going to call tomorrow and bring it to the attention of my Drs office. It's day 5 and there is no way I could resume normal activities. There is no way I'm ready to go off pain meds either.

I am so grateful for this community!
Unread 12-16-2007, 08:39 AM

Tammy
It's interesting how some drs and nurses take a very laid back approach to recovery. Every now and then we see a dr who will suggest that recovery should be expected to be ridiculously short. I hate to contradict a dr, but as in all situations we need to use our own best judgment and listen to what our bodies are telling us is right to do or not do.

Some women seem to feel wonderful right away and struggle to stop themselves from doing normal things, but they aren't the majority by any means. Seeing the thousands of women that we do recovering from this surgery, it's pretty hard to ignore the vast majority of experiences. Common sense speaks agaist being normal in 3 days. I would hope this nurse isn't telling every patient she releases this same information.

Take care and listen to your body. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.
's, Rita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register