Catheter removal - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Catheter removal Catheter removal

Unread 12-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Catheter removal

Hey Kirpiggy!

My cath has been in 2 weeks today. I go tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. to have it removed! YAY! When the urologist saw me in the hospital I asked how painful it would be to have it removed. He said not at all - no more than removing a tampon. So - that's what I'm planning on.

So.....I will have more information for you tomorrow night. The only thing I'm worried about is overnight. I can empty my bag at bedtime (10 p.m.), and by 6 a.m. there is at least 1000 cc's in the bag. I've heard that the human bladder's capacity is only 500 cc's. I'm worried that it will interfere with my sleep. :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Catheter removal

Wow only 500cc? I doubt that, I had a bladder void check today and I voided 400 cc's in a hat and felt empty, but once back in the room, my OB did a Catheter void test and it was only bout 10-15 min from the time I voided and it was 750 cc.. thats HUGE to be left in the bladder after I felt empty, I hope I dont need more surgery.. I Hope just bladder training will do.. I will say I had drank a HUGE amount of water before my test she wanted a full bladder.. she did get it!! HA!
Unread 12-18-2007, 05:31 AM
Catheter removal

I will ask the urologist today. When I had a urodynamics test before my hyst, the nurse performing the test did say that anything over 500 cc would stretch the bladder. But, I'm thinking - not everyone's head is the same size, nor their feet etc....I think I've just got a bladder the size of TX!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2007, 05:50 AM
Catheter removal

Believe it or not, when they took my catheter out at the hospital, I was only able to urinate a little, but then it stopped altogether. I promptly asked the nurse to put my catheter back in. As you can imagine, with fluids coming in through the IV, my bladder was quickly filling up. Well, four agnonizing and tortorous hours later, the nurses finally put my catheter back in and emptied out 1000ml urine from my bladder. I can't even begin to describe how excruciatingly painful that experience was. It was in that same hospital 7 years ago that the identical situation occurred. I sensed that my surgeon was surprised that I requested to be discharged with my catheter. She wanted to try taking it out again. But, after these two experiences, I no longer trusted the staff at the hospital and refused to risk being tortured like that a third time. I made an appointment with a urologist and let him deal with the problem. I knew there would be no waiting involved, should I have a problem urinating again.

I send my best wishes for good health to all of us!
Unread 12-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Catheter removal

I remember when I was in the hospital I had my catheter out about 630 pm day after surgery the dr told nurses to take it out in the AM but as usual they are so slow and don't care!! Anyway, it came out easy enough when they finally got around to me at 630 pm but by midnight I had the urge to go potty, as I slowly got out of bed but my bladder emptied then and there all over my bed and me and floor. I was so scared I was damaged for life!! UGH! I called the nurses aid to change the bedding and I changed to my own jammies, but I had to mop up the floor with the bathroom towels!? They didnt bring a mop or anything, yeah it was midnight, but still, thats gross, they didnt come clean in the AM either!? As a request from my sister to my OB I was moved to a different floor my OB agreed she didnt like the care I was getting on that floor anyway. After the ordeal I went to sleep and my bladder woke me up full in the morning and I got up with out a spill out again, what a sigh of relief!
Unread 12-18-2007, 09:18 PM
Catheter removal

Being the curious type, I was sitting on the edge of the bed when the nurser came to remove my cath. I asked if she wanted me to lay down, and she said no, she could do it while I was just as I was.
She said there is a little balloon on the end of the cath that they fill with saline. That keeps the cath from coming out. So she put a needle into the tube that connected to the balloon, drew off a syringe full of the saline, and it slipped right out. Far more interesting than ominous. And painless.
diana
Unread 12-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Catheter removal

Wow. Thanks for all the replies. My appointment is 8:30 tomorrow morning. I'll be sure to follow up & let you know what happened.
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Catheter removal

I'll be think of you tomorrow morning, Angela. I'm so excited for you - I'll bet you'll be so glad to be rid of that thing!

:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register