Comparing notes ... taste and bulge | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Comparing notes ... taste and bulge Comparing notes ... taste and bulge

Unread 12-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Comparing notes ... taste and bulge

Hello Sisters,

I'm getting close to 2 weeks pre op and I was browsing to see if anyone was having similar issues. I noticed in a recent post that peoples tastes have changed..which has happened but mine seems a tad more extreme. I find food revolting..I really have to force myself to eat and when I do its just yogurt and applesauce. Has anyone else gone past changed tastes to complete revulsion?

Also, does the dent to bulge ratio of a TAH go away over time? My inscision is flawless but I have a bulge over top of it that I hate, especially more on my left side.

Love ya'll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2007, 07:08 AM

s

Everyone is different, but I did have a change in tastes after surgery...........which returned to normal after a few weeks. As for the bulge over my incision....well......it did improve over several months, but.....after almost 4 years......has not gone away entirely.

Hope you are able to enjoy food again, soon. If not, be certain to let your doctor know (You need good nutrition..especially protein.....to heal.). In the meantime, be certain to drink plenty of fluids.

Take care, Princess...................................s......Deb
Unread 12-17-2007, 07:27 AM
Taste and Bulge

Isn't the whole taste things strange? I'm 10 days post-op TAH BSO and haven't been able to really taste anything since surgery. Almost as though the tastebuds are not working. Food hold now appeal. I've now gone to a jello-o, broth and juice. I'm so open to suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2007, 09:04 AM

Definitely have the tastebud change. I don't absolutely hate food, but I don't have much of an appetite - and when I do have an appetite, it's not for anything sweet at all.

As for the bulge... I think that that will slowly recede over time as our bodies heal. It's just excess fluid in the skin in the region, much like the swelling with a sprained ankle.
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:38 AM

My mouth tastes AWFUL when I wake up. Most food tastes metallic. I can only eat small portions, not always seeming to be related to my hunger level. Sweets have lost their appeal -- (that's ONE good thing)!!
Unread 12-17-2007, 10:12 AM

I have been drinking a Slim Fast (Protein one) for breakfast which gives you the protein you need to help with the healing. Another good one would be ENSURE, it is a meal drink.

Take care of yourself, you have to have nutrition to heal!
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:16 PM

JooJooBee ~

I can totally relate. Food TOTALLY repulsed me for weeks afterward plus it all tasted different anyway. Around the 3rd week I started forcing myself to at least eat something every 2 hours as I saw how much weight I was losing. I will be 6 weeks out tomorrow. Food does taste better now and no longer repulses me but my appetite is still greatly reduced, I am still forcing myself to eat and I haven't even gained one pound back yet. I had no weight to lose going into surgery so this has been a bummer. I want those pounds back!!

Hang in there - slowly but surely this is getting better for me and hopefully it will for you as well.

Starbgirl
Unread 12-19-2007, 12:57 AM

I am so glad to hear I am not the only one with the strange taste thing going on. Food is not appealing and I am almost three weeks out but I am not so unhappy about that. My problem is that food tastes strange. Hard to put my finger on it, just different and not quite right. I had a little, tiny glass of wine when my sister came to visit and I even thought that was bad. My DH thought I was a litttle weird. So glad this site exists!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register