Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007 Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007

Unread 12-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007

My surgery was Tuesday orginially scheduled for 1o pm they called the day before moved it up to 12:15. We got there at the appointed time and was quickly taken to the preop area. We were then told there was a delay. Didn't make into surgery until a little after 3:00 pm. My doctor was wonderful, called me the night before to see if I how I was doing and if I had any last minute questions and then held my hand in the OR until I went to sleep! Woke up in recovery with moderate pain, felt the nurse adjusting the catheter which was a little uncomfortable. I asked if they ended up taking the ovaries and she initially said yes, which freaked me out as the plan was for them to stay and then she said oh, it looks like they just took the cervix and uterus. whew! I double checked with my hubby when I arrived in my room around 6:15 pm. I was on oxygen all night, had the catheter until the next morning, compression stockings all night and my new best friend- the pain button. They did vitals on me every hour so not much sleep. They had me dangle on the side of the bed the first night for about 5 minutes, a little nauseating but tolerable. Was relieved to hear the nurse say that my work for the night was done. My day started by 0500 with labs, then shortly thereafter removing the catheter. My doctor came to see me around 7:15 am and by 830 the nurse came to take away my friend as well as the IV fluids. She finally brought me my first drink about 2 hours later, as they only allowed ice chips through the night. When my husband arrived we walked the halls. Food didn't sound good, still doesn't. but was able to tolerate a few bites to show them that I could keep it down, voided without the catheter and thanks to the senokot they gave me the night before I was passing gas and was ready to go home by 1o pm.
I've been doing pretty good at home, sleeping ALOT, not taking as much vicodin as Ibuprofen is doing pretty good. I pace the halls and kitchen a lot. My only issue has been GAS. I have a lot of it, and it is still too high in the colon I can't get rid of it. It causes a lot of pain and pressure in various parts of my belly. My mother in law got me some prunes today she swears that it will help, suppositories haven't and apple juice haven't.
I had an emotional breakdown this morning, which everyone tells me is from surgery and the pain meds itself.
All in all, it has been pretty uneventful and I am glad that it is over. My other friend that I have made is with the little support pillow they gave me in preop, it is wonderful to use to put counter pressure on my belly when I lay on my sides!
Good luck to all of you still in waiting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Had my TAH on 12/17/07

My TAH was a little earlier than expected. The doc was running a head of schedule, so I got into the OR at 9:30 AM rather than 10:30 AM. I honestly don't remember any of it. I do kinda remember recovery, but it was very foggy. I do remember them taking me to my room, but then I was out like a light again. I woke up with the pain button in my hand and a catheter. I had to ask if I had one because I honestly didn't feel it. They let me sleep the rest of the day and had me hooked up to an automatic blood pressure machine, so they didn't have to come in and disturb me all the time. I do remember seeing my hubby's face a couple times, but that was pretty much it for the first day. I think I had some italian ice that first night and some water, but that was about it.

Tuesday morning they came in and brought me a clear liquid breakfast and had me sit up. My tummy was really burning. Later that morning they removed my catheter and I got up to go to the bathroom for the first time. About an hour later a nursing assistant asked if I'd like to take a shower, so she got all my stuff ready and I took one. It felt so good. Tuesday, again, I slept most of the day. They gave me shots in my stomach for clotting, which I didn't really like but oh well. Tuesday evening DH and I walked the halls together. They took the IV out Tuesday night.

Wednesday morning I got solid foods finally. I was still hurting so they switched me over to oral Percoset. The doc came in and said my incision looked wonderful and that she was going to let me go home later that day after they removed the stitches.

I finally got to leave Wednesday night around 7 PM. Thursday, I slept almost all day on the couch. I did get up several times to walk around, and this morning I put my treadmill on .5, which is really, really slow and walked for about 10 minutes. I'm following doctor's orders and wearing my compression band and taking things very slow.

I've decided rather than dreading the next several weeks, I'm going to catch up on some reading, start a hysterectomy journal and just relax. I'm hoping she'll let me drive in 4 weeks so I can at least get out during the day, but we shall see.

Take care sisters, and I look forward to reading about your progress.
Unread 12-21-2007, 04:33 PM

Anticipation was the worst, but my husband and pastor sat with me as I waited. Got the gown they could heat with hot air, as well as warm socks with treads on them. I was given the option of spinal anesthesia, since I was having a bikini cut, and I took it. He reassured me that they'd only trach if they needed to -- turns out they did, but it was short, and I didn't have to cough it up as much like if I'd had it from the beginning.

Recovery was fine, I woke up an hour after everything was finished. The leg pumps were nice, just disappointed that they don't also "trim and tone". Ate ice chips before being moved into my room. Saw a picture of what was removed, it looked like a huge haggis -- the resident surgeon said that, all told, the mass was approx. the size of a 14-15 week pregnancy, including a huge fibroid stuck right in the middle of my cervix. No wonder I didn't feel good!

I wanted to throttle the nurse tech who came into my room at every hour either wanting to do paperwork or to get me out of bed to weigh me (at 2 a.m.? in leg wraps? was she nuts?) I made sure to complain to the Customer Satisfaction rep for the hospital.

Day 2 was the worst, having to get used to walking, cuz I had to pee every 10-15 minutes. Getting the bandage taken off the incision hurt, but not the incision itself! I kept getting comments on how good I looked and how swiftly my recovery was going.

I finally had a bowel movement this morning, and my incision looked great, so I was sent home. I'm so glad because there were some miserable people in my wing, including my roomie. Heal at home if you have the option!

Of all the suggestions I saw on here, one of the best was to buy the oversized underwear for the post-op period, and to take lip balm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2007, 04:50 PM

Sounds like some of you definately had it rougher than me.........my main problem so far has been constant fatigue........just getting up long enough to look at the computer wears me out! I really haven't had a whole lot of pain, thankfully. I don't really remember anything about recovery....my hubby tells me I was "loudly" letting the nurses know that my back hurt! oops! Overall, my hospital experience was great (as far as can be under the circumstances!) The dr. was very patient and the nurses took exceedingly great care of me. They didn't even fuss when I threw up all over the place! I've been home since Wed. afternoon. Thankfully, I didn't have to wear the catheter home (thank heavens!!!), but I still haven't had a BM....wondering about that.
Unread 12-21-2007, 05:00 PM

The BM is another wellness gauge -- it shows that you are clear of the anesthesia. I was late in having one too, because I had soft food a little earlier than indicated. I had my catheter removed the day after surgery, and part of that is to make you get up and go pee, so that you get your body walking more, which also helps dispel gas and anesthesia.

Luckily I didn't even throw up -- although I came close, just ate some crackers. They wanted to re-install the pick line in my hand (for the IV), but when it fell out (using my hand to help sit up), I said leave it out unless it's an emergency. I'm hard to get a line in, for either a draw or IV, because my veins are so deep.
Unread 12-21-2007, 06:45 PM

I'm home -- more later when I am feeling better.
Unread 12-21-2007, 06:53 PM

I am new to these boards. I wish I had found them before my surgery on Monday. I am doing really well today. Actually went out shopping for a very short time period and then came back and laid on the couch.

Taking it easy is the best medicine right now!
Unread 12-21-2007, 07:23 PM

hmmm........maybe I need to walk some more, I can't even imagine having gotten out of the house.......I get worn out just walking from the bedroom to the kitchen....but maybe I'll ultimately feel better if walk off all the effects of the anesthesia, etc.
Unread 12-21-2007, 07:35 PM
finding my way

Had my surgery on Monday and got to come home on Thursday. Had to come home with a cath due to my bladder being nicked during removal, bummer! I have to have it for two weeks, I'm just blessed they saw the cut before closing me up.
So far I'm doing fairly well, about like the rest of you. I feel a bit anxious about what may come my way. I'm hoping that I don't get too emotional. I had FAH with BSO so I am on HRT (patch).
Not liking the swelling of everything, I feel liked I've gained 10 pounds!
Haven't had a bm yet...going on 6 days, is that normal?
I hope I can find my way around this site and meet new friends. It looks like a very helpful place to visit. I wish all you well as you recover.
Unread 12-21-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly88
Haven't had a bm yet...going on 6 days, is that normal?
I guess it would depend on what your diet has been. The most important thing is to pass gas, then do a BM.

Bummer about your bladder; here's for complete healing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register