Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007 - Page 29 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007 Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007

Unread 12-31-2007, 09:07 AM
Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007

kairibear
I had nylon stitches with my laproscopic surgery. The dr planned for them to be removed this past Mon. Their office was closed, so I offered to remove them myself. I did have help with the bellybutton one. The incisions are so much more comfortable without them. Maybe yours will be removed at your next appointment. Mine would not have disolved and were irritating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2007, 09:23 AM

morning all,
this is my first morning home alone. dh and ds had to work, so am on my own until around 1 or so. i was a bit nervous about that at first but feeling fine now. Still haven't left the house yet. Not really in a hurry to get out- other than to walk. I really miss my exercise. Lady4 what are you using for upper body- the bands? and curious did dr. ok? i would love to start some of those exercises.
we finally decided to call some friends last night and we are just having pizza and movie night tonight. and already warned them i probably wont make it until midnight. Im in charge of making brownies and taking a nap this afternoon. think i can handle that.
No work for me until after 4 week post op on jan. 17. i dont get paid after that and hate to eat up any more vac. time for 08, since the 4 wk time off already includes using one week.
Unread 12-31-2007, 09:54 AM

Hello all,
I haven't posted for a few days, but have been checking in on how everyone else has been doing. We went out to lunch the other day and then to my parents for my sister's birthday. I find that I have little tolerance for being out around a bunch of people for an extended length of time.
I have limited my pain meds for bed time and have been off them now for a couple of days other than ibuprofen.

Someone else mentioned some of the sutures sticking thru the incision. I came home with that on two of my incisions. It is now gone on one of them, but I have three pieces on the end of the other incision and it is a little red. I am trying to keep it clean and dry. I had the same thing when I had my gall bladder removed 3 years ago and I remember calling the office and they told me I could clip it. This time I figured I wait until I see the doctor next week.

I haven't been as emotional as I was a week ago, but am now having hot flashes. Guess I need to start my list of questions for my appt next week. I will not be returning to work until the beginning of February as she told me I would be off a minimum of 6 weeks. I finally ordered prints of the pictures we've taken with the digital camera since Sept. (over 160 pics), guess I need to get caught up on scrapbooking. Will wait to work on that until the kids go back to school next week.

For NYE, we are staying home (as usual), will probably be in bed before the ball drops- if the kids will let me.
Happy New Year's and I wish you all a healthy 2008!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2007, 09:54 AM

Hi all,

After two fairly active days where I left the house on errands, I took a day off and puttered around the house, just so I don't get too worn down, too fast. I did a lot of paper organization, then took a 1.5 hour nap. I also helped get some laundry done, and cleaned my toilet. I'm making many of my own meals (esp. breakfast), and letting the dog in and out.

I find that if I employ a lot of the tactics I learned when I was a back patient, that I do a lot better -- bend from the knees and not the waist, roll to my side and prop myself up on my elbow, etc. I'm also taking the pain meds religiously, so I don't have a lot of pain going at any one time -- I'm on 600 mg ibuprofen during the day, then take a combo pill of vicodin and tylenol at night.

I'm waking up every 3 hours like clockwork, but that's no different then before the surgery, where I had to empty my bladder to prevent needing a catheter. I figure as I heal, and I wean off the pain meds, then I might sleep for longer stretches at a time. But I'm not having the kind of back spasms that I did pre-op, where the fibroids were putting pressure on my spine.

Fortunately I've had no vaginal discharge or incision leakage whatsoever. My SteriStrips are slated to come off within the next day or two, which makes me nervous. (but it might help with all the itching I have going on, shave notwithstanding) I'll have my DH help me, since he'll be able to look at the incision close-up as we take them off. He's been an excellent caretaker, striking the right balance between caring for me without babying me.

Hopefully I can get a haircut today, my hair is driving me nuts! I also get the OK to start driving again Wednesday, so I'm going to go back to choir rehearsals at church Thursday (better catch up, I'm subbing for the director next week!), and take my stepdaughter to the movies (we both want to see Sweeney Todd!).

Happy New Year everyone!
Unread 12-31-2007, 09:57 AM
Morning to you all!

Hey Fit&Ready,

I've not ventured out of the house yet either, other than to walk to the mail box at the end of our driveway, but tomorrow DH & I are going to go to a movie It will be nice to get out of the house.

My doc says she won't release me until 6 weeks post op, but I honestly think I'll go back to work by the 21st. I have disability insurance, which is helping greatly since I had no vacation time left for 07, so thankfully, money is not an issue, plus work is paying me a little extra, since I'm doing some things at home for the office from my remote desktop on my computer.

Everyday I walk on my treadmill at about 1 mph for 15 minutes, a couple times a days. I actually feel awesome this morning, although my incision still has some mild pain. I'm able to take steps normally, but still slowly, and I've been doing very light housework and laundry. I think I've dusted everything in sight at least twice and I've watched every Lifetime movie every made at this point

2008 is going to be an awesome and pain free year!
Unread 12-31-2007, 10:01 AM
Low estrogen patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMDFan
I just read the chapter about HRT in the the book, The Essential Guide to Hysterectomy (which I'm glad I bought before the surgery, even if i didn't read the whole thing before the surgery). Guess what the lack of estrogen causes besides hot flashes? Insomnia!

I've been wondering why I couldn't sleep! I didn't think I wanted HRT, but after reading that chapter, now I think I do.

Hey HouseMDfan, my doc started me on a low dose estrogen patch when I left the hospital, and I've had no issues with hot flashes or sleeplessness. In fact, I feel better now than I felt when I had my ovaries and all that other stuff. Wow, today is really the first day that I've felt so great in a very long time. The skys the limit ladies!
Unread 12-31-2007, 10:08 AM
exercises

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit&ready
morning all,
this is my first morning home alone. dh and ds had to work, so am on my own until around 1 or so. i was a bit nervous about that at first but feeling fine now. Still haven't left the house yet. Not really in a hurry to get out- other than to walk. I really miss my exercise. Lady4 what are you using for upper body- the bands? and curious did dr. ok? i would love to start some of those exercises.
we finally decided to call some friends last night and we are just having pizza and movie night tonight. and already warned them i probably wont make it until midnight. Im in charge of making brownies and taking a nap this afternoon. think i can handle that.
No work for me until after 4 week post op on jan. 17. i dont get paid after that and hate to eat up any more vac. time for 08, since the 4 wk time off already includes using one week.

I am using some bands and some hand weights. I also have some ankle weights I may put on my wrists. I need to get my crutches out of the car and see how I do with them. I only use them if I go out. Otherwise I have two canes in the house and a walker. Talk about feeling old using a walker at 39. OMG

This is actually my 4th abdominal surgery and by far the roughest one yet. I am doing a total of nothing and how I managed to care for two babies right after a cesarean is beyond me.

I have noticed my appetite is cut in half. I had initially gained 5 pounds following surgery but am now down 8 pounds. Hot flashes and insomnia are driving me nuts.
Unread 12-31-2007, 10:29 AM

good morning ladies- had a pretty restful night. I have been watching the right side of my incision as it has been looking like it's starting to get infected. Well it looks worse today so I put in a call to the MD and have a 2:45pm appt to get it looked at. other than that things are going pretty good. I have been helping a little more around the house like picking up dishes etc. I think when my DH and girls go back to school and work on the 2nd I will take out the scrapbooking stuff and get busy. I am suppose to return to work on Feb. 1st. have a good day

Deb
TAH 12/20/07
Unread 12-31-2007, 10:46 AM

I just got a new digital camera for Christmas and have a ton of other digital photos also. I am going to get busy on my digital scrap booking. I have most of my other scrap booking caught up as I had been out of work since November 9th due to my knee injury.

Some of you may be scratching your heads by now. Back in May I had my Achilles Tendon torn at work by a wheelchair. I work at a hospital. November 9th I fell and cracked my kneecap. This did not stop me from having my surgery on the 17th. On January 7th they are fixing my Achilles.

So I am one hurting Mama
I figure get everything fixed at once
Unread 12-31-2007, 10:57 AM

so lady4 did dr. give ok? just curious. sounds like fun though, might at least get started with my bands.
bluewillow- im keeping track with a pedometer, walked 1700 steps so far today. still need to do a few laps around the house i guess.
soprano2- i looked in mirror this morning, yikes i need a hair cut too. maybe next week.
And im with the rest of you am going start my ds's senior scrapbook as soon as he goes back to school!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register