Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007 - Page 57 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007 Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007

Unread 01-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007

Good morning or shall I say afternoon- thanks to everyone for their responses to my post yesterday. I decided to try some benadryl last night and motrin 800mg no can do....I was up all night walking and trying to be comfortable so to say the least I just got up...can't do that for too much longer. I think since I have 2 percocet left I will just take one tonight and one the next and see my MD on Friday and discuss it with her and see what she says. Suzyq I am very happy about your pathology results....it just amazes me that MD's make people wait so long for those.....I stayed in the hospital for 3 days and my MD had the results the day before I went home.....most of the time it shouldn't take longer than 5 days so why are they waiting unitl 2-3 weeks to let you know anything....it is wrong! anyway that is my 2 cents of the day. I hope everyone has a good and restful day. this site is the best!!!

P.S. I did the ice craving thing when I was pregnant with my second child....funny how you find out about things later down the road!

Deb
TAH 12/20/07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2008, 11:25 AM

I don't want to scare anyone with an upcoming surgery, but my story is not as happy of one as some of the other sisters. I went in Tues Dec 18 for my TAH. The next day I was still extrememly uncomfortable, even with the pain pump. The catheter had been removed around 6 that morning but by noon or so I still hadn't urinated, my abdomin was very distended and I was very short of breath. They ordered a CT scan and I attempted to drink about 12 ozs of water in preparation. The water promptly came right back up. The CT scan showed that something was wrong with my right ureter....it wasn't draining into my bladder. Back went the catheter and I was scheduled for a cystourethoscopy first thing the next morning. That Thursday the urologist attempted to insert a stent to help with urine flow but there was an obstruction so they stopped that procedure and inserted a nephrostomy tube straight thru my back into my kidney......(minus anesthesia mind you.) The urologist decided that they would need to cut me open again to see what the obstruction was.....they scheduled that for Saturday. Friday went by fairly uneventful thanks to being put back on the pain pump. They next day found me back in the OR. When the urologist opened me back up it was discovered that my GYN doc had folded and stiched my right ureter tube while stitching up my vaginal cuff. That was actually good news considering they were thinking the tube had actually been cut! Doc unkinked and unstitched the tube and inserted a stent to keep it open for healing and back to recovery I went. Sunday was a good day....at first. I was finally feeling a bit better, still had the nephrostomy tube in my back - just in case and they bruised up my arm trying to find a new IV site, but I actually felt like I was on the road to recovery. Later that afternoon the urologist came to see me and decided that my urine output was good so they decided to remove the nephrostomy tube. They rolled me onto my side, untaped the tube and pulled it out.......along with the stent. The pain was absolutely unbearable!!!! So a quick trip back to the OR, round 5 of anesthesia in only 6 days and the stent was replaced (thru the urethra thank goodness!!) Monday - Christmas Eve. I was tired of the castle, tired of the string of bad luck, mad at my GYN for making the mistake to begin with....I just wanted to go home. 6pm and home I went. I'm just now starting week 3 of recovery. I find I'm having a hard time sleeping and I'm fighting bouts of depression. The stent has to stay in for another 4 weeks which is a depressing thought because it hurts everytime I have to pee. My poor little babies (dogs) just can't understand why momma can't pick them up to love on them. I am ususally a very active person and all this doing nothing is quite unnerving. I know this will all pass and in a few weeks I'll be almost myself again.....this is just a rough spot.
Unread 01-08-2008, 11:40 AM

Ya i read about the ice craving thing on the internet. i was driving my husband nuts going through a couple of trays a night. i told my dr. about the connection i read about between the ice and low iron and she said it would hurt to check it. low and behold i was off the charts low. If you have an open minded dr. it really pays off to do you own homework sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2008, 12:58 PM

Cat- that sounds like quite an ordeal! Im sorry you've had to go through so much.
I just realized that you are in Boise too! I had my TVH on 12/19 at SARMC. Im curious as to who your Gyn is. Maybe you could send me a mssg on here (I haven't figured out to do much besides post to threads yet!). I hope that you've made it through the worst and are on the road to recovery. Good luck and please check in here often now that you're up to it.
Unread 01-08-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMDFan
"Has anyone else felt especially happy and content?!"

Absolutely! No ovaries=no mood swings for me, evidently. I've felt happy all along.

Yes.....Yes! I feel very even, no mood swings, just content! Strange, but good
Unread 01-08-2008, 03:28 PM

Oh thank you soooo much. I am not the best computer whiz that is for sure. Thanks for finding someone else to chat with about this. have a good night
Unread 01-08-2008, 05:51 PM
incision weeping

Hi everyone, My surgery was on Dec 20th. On night 17, I sat down on potty to pee and my private area pressed against the abdominal area and just like popping a pimple a little hole opened and a dollop of pus was on the floor and watery bloody discharge droplets as I stood the weeping ran down my leg. Nurse said in women with larger abdomonal tummys sometimes will do that so I keep a 4x4 gause pad there and after each peeing time I change it and it is wet with like a watery discharge mixed with lite colored blood. Now day 19 the pad has a little yellowish thicker looking stuff on it. She asked if it smelled and I said no, Is it red? I said no. But I am still worried. Sometimes if I dont get pad on fast enough droplets fall on my pad in underwear. Oh she also said to wash it was antibacterial soap. Anyone else out there??? I think I will call Nurse back in A.M. I am so scared it is infected. But it doesnt hurt, Course I am on pain medicine so what do I know. GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 01-08-2008, 06:02 PM

I'd call her back. I've not heard of that, but my recovery has so far been uneventful. (Knock on wood). I agree that it should be kept clean, and the 4x4 should used to protect it. Weird. I hope someone out there has a better answer. Have you looked under a special search for a thread similar to what your experiencing? Might be worth a try.
Unread 01-08-2008, 09:13 PM

Karen--we seem to have a lot in common!

Sassy45--so glad to have helped!

Mimilu--not sure if it's what you are talking about, but I do have a tiny portion of my incision that is closing much slower than the rest. I'm to keep it clean and dry and change the gauze pads frequently. I think as long as it's not fresh blood or smells bad then there's no problem.

I went to the grocery store for a big shop this afternoon. I overestimated myself. I've been in discomfort to slight pain for the first time since coming home. I was really careful about not lifting things, too--it was just simply pushing the cart around, I guess. Not gonna do that again!

I did get some Remifemin. I'll let you know if it helps with the hot flashes or insomnia.
Unread 01-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Thanks everyone!!

I tell you this is the story of my life. If anything weird can happen it will happen to me no matter what the deal is. I started washing it more often with the antibacterial soap, Like every other pee time, Cause I change the pad each time. Tonight it seems as the oozing has changed a bit to more light pinkish tones now instead of yellowish and a lil more watery in stead of pus.. Ya know it almost looks like when my father-inlaw had surgery on his colon and they left a little drainage tube in there, It's a small hole tho like you could stick the head of a pencil in there. I laid off the pain meds a bit and stretched it out to see if there was any local pain down there that was different and it really did'nt seem to be at all. And like I said there is no real smell to it. So I am not going to worry, But I did start a Homeopathic med that I use for infections that has pulled me thru when I had the beginnings of Diverticulosis, Or throat infections..Ect. Just to be safe, And it's all natural so it cannot hurt to take it. I start Radiation every day for 2 months after my last appt. with the GYN Oncologist that did my surgery. Thats not til the 25th of Jan.. He will introduce my hubby and me to the Dr. that will do it. Maybe my body is yelling NO!!!!! I'm still not ready LOL!!!! Which is right with all I've been thru since I came home the 31st several days later I began all the gas passing and crazy stuff I was suppose to do in the hospital days after the surgery. So I am just behind in healing. Well off to bed, I had to stay up cause some good friend made me soup and I ate 1/2 a bowl of it and my sugar shot up sky high so I had to drink tons of H20 and stay up til it came back down. I wish the insulin would kick in I am beginning to think that nothing will control it. And that makes healing harder too. Hug's to all, Nighty Night.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register