Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007 - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007 Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007

Unread 12-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007

I had a TAH on friday the 21st. the pre op went better than expected. i took my ipod and a xanex before i went. helped enormously.
i came sunday night and as far as surgery everything went as planned. uterus, cervix and fibroid came out overies stayed. darn fibroid larger than an orange, was half inside the uterus half out. so basically the whole thing was bigger than dr. thought. said it was tough but he got it out with the bikini cut- yeah! he even said he thinks i will be surprises how much flatter my tummy will be. ill keep hoping. lol
the hospital stay was not a good thing for me. the stress of the week - my dad had had surgery on the tuesday before, anyhow i emotionally fell apart second day, I couldnt eat, they couldnt find pain meds i could keep down. just a basket case. dh was there as much as they let him be- they sent him home around midnight both nights. other than that he never left my side.
that night the dr. ordered some meds to calm me down, found some pain meds that worked, then i got a good nights sleep and some food in me the next day and i was good to go. go home that is. its so nice to be home.
so other than moving slowly- sleeping and eating. a quiet christmas is in store. still awaiting first bm. since im back to my old diet of whole grains, coffeeand fruit- hoping something should happen soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-24-2007, 05:45 PM

I'm sorry you had such a rough time at the hospital. I'm surprised they didn't let your husband stay w/you. Mine could have, but he went home w/the kids. It's probably just as well because he wouldn't have gotten any sleep at all!

I hope you have a speedy recovery!
Unread 12-24-2007, 06:26 PM

Had my LSH on Dec 20th. I woke up in a lot of pain, but the nurses were really nice. I have 3 small incisions. 1 hurts alot more, but that's the one they pulled it out. I haven't had a BM yet. I did take a shower today. My DH helped. I get tired real quickly though. I had an allergic reaction to the band aids and the adhesive ripped of my skin. I think that hurts more than the incisions!
N
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-24-2007, 07:19 PM

I had my surgery Friday. Everything went fine. The waiting really was by far the worst part!!! I should have thought of asking for xanax or something because I was nervous and waiting was hard. Once I got my pre-op medicine in the holding area I don't really remember anything else. I woke up in the recovery room in some pain, but the nurses were quick with the morphine. I got a morphine pump as soon as I got to the floor and used it! I got out of bed Friday night about 12 hours after surgery started. Walked to the bathroom, got to wash up and brush my teeth. Next day they took out my catherter and eventually the IV. Switched to oral pain medicine which worked fine. Did pass gas or eat until Sunday. Hope shortly after that. I am tired and sore, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I have 6 abdominal insitions. 4 with steri strips from the LAVH and two glued closed from the bladder TVT. I am starting to bruise now and very tired!!! Sleeping, walking, drinking and healing. Hope everyone else is doing well
Unread 12-24-2007, 08:52 PM

I hadn't looked over here in the post-op section yet, for some reason, so I didn't know there was this special group just for us!

My TAH w BSO was Monday the 17th. My DH was able to spend the night each night I was in the castle, yeah! My in-laws kept my son busy.

My anesthesiologist called me on the phone Sunday evening! to introduce himself and to talk about pain management, etc. He offered an epidural and explained how great it would be and I said heck, yes! It was wonderful! Besides the epidural, I also had a drain and a catheter and an IV. They all came out on Wednesday, I think. The drain coming out felt really weird.

By Friday am I was past ready to go home and my Dr said okay, but that night and Saturday night I really wished I still had that hospital bed!

The nurses were all fabulous, and kept interruptions to a minimum. At home now, my worst discomfort has been from my arthritic hip and elbow. I have to move around enough to keep them limber without stressing my incision or tiring myself too much. I generally feel really very good and can see that boredom over the next few weeks may get me into trouble!

I don't have my staples out until Thursday.

The final pathology report said "early cancer" so it was a really good thing that everything came out.
Unread 12-25-2007, 02:14 AM
Doing Ok I guess

Ok so here I am...I had mine on the 18th...I can't sleep, it hurts to bm and my pee is cloudy. So with all this said I found this forum. I am still taking pain meds at night. Some days I am good to get out of bed others i just want to be left alone. will keep you updated..
Unread 12-25-2007, 03:03 AM

Hello! I had my TAH/BSO (uterine cancer) on 12/17, was home 12/19 by 10am. My hospital stay, for the most part, went well with the help of DH and some terrific nurses and doctors (no need to dwell on the bad). I was up and out of bed walking the night of my surgery (very short walk, but up!) and have been moving pretty good. Any pain or discomfort from this surgery is nothing compared to how I felt before, so I have no regrets there. My most troubling post-op issue has been restlessness, not sure what is up with that. My DH thinks it's because I am so used to the sudden pelvic pain that would reach 10/10 in less than ten minutes and take at least an hour to get under control, that I am not ready to relax yet.
Unread 12-25-2007, 05:21 AM

Merry Christmas to all my hystersisters! Don't do too much today - let your family help out as much as possible. I told my DH last night that I would have been running around the house yesterday packing for us to leave today and making sure we had all presents packed, etc. This is kind of nice to have a day at home without the rush of leaving town. We are just going to my little sisters house today (she lives in my neighborhood) but not a long drive!
Unread 12-25-2007, 05:23 AM

Hello Ladies- Sorry I didn't see this part of the site so I didn't post yet. I was scheduled for a LSH on 12/20/2007 but because of severe endometriosis and adenomyosis I ended up with a TAH. Funny how I found out when I was in the recovery area...I heard the post op nurse tell another nurse....I said what and then they told me. I was pretty upset. I kind of had it in the back of my mind but I guess I ignored that it could really happen differently than I expected. Had surgery on Thursday at 9am and came home about 2pm on Sunday. I was so glad to be home. I got to keep my ovaries after they removed a cyst, but they said that it was not safe to remove them because they were stuck to my bowel so they left them. I hope that they still work after all of this. My DH has been wonderful! I ended up having a small BM on Sunday before I left the castle but nothing since and I feel like I need to so I sent the DH to the drug store yesterday so heres hoping I get my Christmas wish. I had my backwards day yesterday and got behind on my pain meds....ended up laying in bed crying my eyes out scarring my 16 year old daughter who promptly called my DH to ask for help since he was at the store. But once I got on top of the pain I was better. poor daughter. I have to go back to the MD on Friday to have my incision looked at and to get my staples out. they are watching it because they think it may be getting infected.....I certainly hope not. I have had to have my DH help me keep an eye on the bikeni cut (ha ha like I would ever wear a bikani anyway). anyway sorry for the long post. I hope that everyone is feeling better and making their way through recovery. take care and have a great holiday!

Deb
TAH 12/20/2007
Unread 12-25-2007, 07:58 AM

Hi all, I went in on Friday 12/21 7:30 AM and went in right on time, for what i thought was to be a LSH leaving everything but my uterus. I woke up to be told (don't even remember by whom) that I had a total abdominal hyst with removal of EVERYTHING due to stage 4 endometreosis. So now, things I hadn't thought about, like menopause and hormone replacement are new on the list....I think I am recovering OK, just experienceing lots of gas and need to work up to the first BM. Trying to keep it under control wtih gas-x. Came home yesterday and will take it one day at a time. I sure didn't expect this, and I thought I would be back at work by 1/8th...guess I will need to rethink that. I took a perc last night at about 9:30 and slept on and off until about 5:30, better than in the castle, took another perc went to the bathroom and dozed again until about 8:30. I got up, washed, brushed my hair and a friend came by to take care of my dogs and made me breakfast, first decent cup of coffee since Thursday..... took my 8:30 meds, including a colace and a motrin. Hoping to hold off on Perc until later so I can be awake enough to shower and wake up my colon....but the fatigue. I have been up and out of bet puttering for 45 minutes and I feel like a need a nap already....

Looking forward to keeping up with my sisters. Any advice on the hormone stuff would be nice to hear.... may you all heal well and have a quiet, restful Christmas...Later all - Suzyq

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register