Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007 - Page 84 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007 Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007

Unread 01-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007

I'm no longer having hot flashes so I feel like my ovaries are kicking back in and may be back on track. I do however think that "the honeymoon is over" in as I am no longer feeling that strong level of overall contentment that I had been for weeks. I am totally flying off the handle and snapping at my husband and I feel awful about it. I already take zoloft seasonally for anxiety and depression and wonder if my hormones are now making up for those weeks of bliss?

Help! Is anyone else feeling this shift? Have Drs been acknowleding/suggesting anything for this post surgery and this far out? I haven't been off birth control for years - could this be affecting my hormones too? These mood swings are awful - I feel so bad after freaking out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2008, 08:27 PM

I haven't been using this site's Swelly Belly Band, but I woke up from surgery with an elastic binder about 12 inches wide on. My dr wanted me to wear it for 4 weeks, which I did. I've been going without it this week, but suddenly this week I'm having the terrible swelling (didn't notice it before). I've also had some minor back spasms. I'm thinking I'll go back to wearing it during the day. I really don't like this swelling!

I'm still having hot flashes, so the Remifemin hasn't kicked in yet. The insomnia is somewhat better, though.

I'm sorry, I'm not experiencing the heaviness in the bowels. And I'm still feeling much more even-tempered than prior to the surgery. Sorry I can't help there.
Unread 01-16-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXOMA2
Has anyone used the SwellyBelly Band?
I found it difficult to use in the early days, because of the fabric being wet. You have to wrap it in plastic wrap if you're instructed to keep your incision dry. So I froze mine (as suggested) and it didn't bend well. I used it as an ice pack, never got to wear it. After a while I decided to thaw it out and start over; by then it had sprung a leak of the cooling gel, so there was nothing left to do but throw it away. I resorted to using a flexible ice pack while seated. I don't know if the problem with the belt was just mine, or an inherent problem with it. Personally I didn't particularly care for it, but your mileage may vary.

Of course this may be deleted because mine is not a glowing product report, heh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmrl
Is everyone back to driving? I've driven the kids to the bus stop a couple of times, but can feel a strain sitting upright. My girlfriends and I are planning a much needed dinner and movie for this weekend so it will be fun to get out and see them, but I'm not planning to drive myself yet and probably no vino at dinner either.
I'm actually driving my husband's 6 speed SVT. I thought I would have problems shifting, but to my surprise, I'm not.

Tonight I took a chance and decided to try jogging on my treadmill again. I only did 15 minutes, and then did some more walking, but it felt great and no problems. I guess I getting back to the old me only problem free.

Sorry some of you are still having issues. There is light at the end of the tunnel, and I'm sure you'll be feeling better in no time. Stay positive!
Unread 01-16-2008, 09:25 PM

Hi Ladies...

I had a pretty good day... went with my best friend to look at tile for our sunroom. Walked around a huge flooring store and it felt good to be up and around. I'm beginning to think maybe I haven't been doing enough and that's part of why I'm not sleeping well. I need to wear myself out a bit...?? I took two Tylenol PM's last night and they didn't seem to help much. I woke up @2am and took an 800ml motrin too. I seemed to wake up about every hour all night long. It was miserable. Now I'm starting to get anxious about whether or not i will sleep well tonight.

DH is leaving at 5am tomorrow morning for three days. I'm worried about being without him now! ugh! I'm not usually this dependent on anyone. I will have to drive DS and his friend to school tomorrow for the first time since surgery. It takes 30 minutes one way to get him to school, so I will be in the car driving for a whole hour. It seems so silly to think I can't do it... something I have done everyday up until three weeks ago.

I'm so sorry to hear about some DH's not being as understanding as you might need. Hang in there ladies.... it WILL get better!!
Unread 01-16-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmrl
Similar to you I had my TVH on 12/19, kept ovaries, and still am having pains. The aching pain is tolerable and per my Nurse's suggestion I'm still on my motrin 800 to help with swelling. I did however take 1 Tylenol 3 yesterday as I felt particularly sore and was having those sharp pains. I haven't taken the tylenol for almost a week now.

DH and I went to Riverdance last night but only ended up staying for the first half as I started to get sore sitting there. I don't go back to work until 1/28, so I'm hoping I can tolerate sitting by then. I have an hour long commute each way and sit at a desk all day so am a little concerned. I can usually only handle about an hour of sitting right now before I get really sore.

Is everyone back to driving? I've driven the kids to the bus stop a couple of times, but can feel a strain sitting upright. My girlfriends and I are planning a much needed dinner and movie for this weekend so it will be fun to get out and see them, but I'm not planning to drive myself yet and probably no vino at dinner either.

My bladder is also really tender still. Kind of a sore feeling which is more intense when I go pee. Doesn't feel like it's an infection in the tract or anything, just a heightenend sore sense of my bladder. Anyone else feeling this?
I, too, have had uncomfortable feelings in my bladder while going to the bathroom. Almost like a bladder infection, but more pressure than burning. I went to the doctor and they did not find a bladder infection, but chalked it up to bladder spasms. They got better this week and then a little worse yesterday and today again. They recommended the over the counter urinary "numbing" medicine...I believe it's called Uristat or something...(red pills that turn your pee bright orange)
Unread 01-16-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHltd
Hello Ladies,

I said a week ago that I was looking forward to finally doing a positive post....yeah!* The day has come that I don't feel totally rotten! Of course it fell on my doctor's appointment, isn't that the way it always is?

Has anyone else been released to using their own best judgement? Other than no lifting and no going back to work until I'm ready to deal with it, DR. said to start getting back to normal life. Just listen to my body and not overdo it, was his advise.

So this may be TMI, but DH will be interested in whether that means ok to have sex again. Sad to say, but I was more interested in when I could take a bubbly bath.....I didn't even ask about sex. So I'm taking that as I'm not quite ready yet. But in case I change my mind, anyone been released on sex yet? My MD said I don't have to come back for a year....that will be too long to wait to get this question answered and I don't really want to leave him a voice mail on this one.* Can you imagine the call back?* *

TAH on 12/21/07
My mom drove me to my 4 week post op appointment (I don't go back again until mid-March now) and I had to ask the doctor about sex before she came in the room after my exam! My doctor did the exam and said there was still a small amount of healing to be done, but that "in 3...no how about 2 weeks..." I could have sex again, putting me just a little bit before 6 weeks (without him examining the vaginal cuff before clearance for sex...makes me a little nervous)... I read such varying accounts on here that I'm nervous, but he kept assuring me it may be uncomfortable a few times but after that he anticipates I'll be back to normal.

When in doubt, call and ask. They've definitely heard it before!
Unread 01-16-2008, 10:08 PM

Hi all, just wanted to ring in on the few left over effects...I have the right side paid and even have what feels like a hard pencil shape object under the incision and it pulls when I have done to much. I have a funny pain when I pee especially right when I am finishing (TMI) I know. I was released to drive week two but only on back roads no major highway, heavy traffic area. Believe me I rather not it takes alot out of me I guess the tension of being careful and the lift of my leg from gas to break. As far as sex, I was told no penetration until 6 weeks because of the healing cuff but okay if I feel like doing anything else. So okay to experiment and make sure all is in working order. I won't be released for work until after the 31st appointment that will be 6 weeks. and Tex I have used something like a swelly band just a belly support my sister lent me that she had from when she was prego....you can get it at Walgreens it helps if you know you will be doing a lot of standing or walking because it helps with the swelling. I had not had any medication or over the counter in a week but last night after work I had to use 1 darvecet. Anyway sounds like we all have a little bit of everything at one point or another.
Unread 01-16-2008, 11:29 PM

I get something akin to sharp pains, which aren't horrible, and are followed by a great big FART. So it's my intestines realigning, heh.

Soprano --That was hilarious and I needed the enormous laugh. What made it funnier to me...is the fact that I have the same thing. HAHAHA

I had a great day yesterday...Really no pain just a few little quick pains but nothing to wine about. Then today was a not a horribly painful day but can tell I exerted energies the day before and emotionally I felt out of sorts. What was that about?

Anyhow......just wanted to update everyone and hope everyone is coming along better.
Unread 01-16-2008, 11:43 PM

Hi everyone. I'm about to my fourth week since my TAH. I'm feeling much better, still a little sore though. I haven't had much bleeding since the day after my surgery. Is that normal? I'm currently having to dress my incision daily because it came open a little bit. But other than that I'm doing good. I hope everybody else is healing well too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register