Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007 - Page 89 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007 Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007

Unread 01-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Hysterectomy dates Dec 17-Dec 24,2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwinner
m- why the sedatives before your appointment and exam?
K
It doesn't sound like other gals have taken anything before their post-ops, but when my Dr's nurse offered to call me in 2 valiums to take prior to the office visit I wasn't gonna turn her down! It was my OBGYN who did my surgery and knows me pretty well. My annual exams have been so painful due to the enlarged, tipped, and ultra sensitive uterus that my anxiety is pretty high knowing that I've got to have the internal exam. I'm also not typically a pain pill or cold medicine person unless absolutley needed and I am really clinging to these Motrin 800's. I try not to take them, but am still so achy so the nurse thought it would be better (and perhaps necessary) to take before the full exam. Ok, I may be a little bit of a woos in this area as well!

I do hesitate a little in taking the valium in that I still have so many questions about my surgery and uterine findings. "Abnormal" or "irregular" tissue from the path report seems so unanswered. I just need to know I made the right decision in having the surgery. Feeling pain is one thing, but I was really expecting to receive a full medical disgnosis that would explain my pain.

Like I said in a previous post I plan to write down all questions and will have my DH with me to hear my Drs answers (to perhaps relay to me later when I'm not loopy). I go on Thursday the 24th so will post after to let you guys know how it goes.

The DH countdown calendars are pretty funny. I joked to my DH the other day that since we are renewing our vows at our 10 yr anniv in July we could just hold out sex until then to better celebrate the reaffirmation. He joked back and said we wouldn't have anything to reaffirm if that was the case! Haha! No, really he suggested that instead of having a predesignated "date" that we could resume, instead he suggested that when I feel ready to try again that I wear something special to bed as a signal and until then he won't pressure me. We've been doing lots of kissing and snuggling lately though which we normally don't have/make much time for, so this little break has been eye opening and actually brought new romance and insight into the relationship (even if I've been a somewhat moody, lazy lump in sweats, messy hair, and no makeup!).

Have a good night ladies! Hopefully everyone sleeps well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2008, 10:51 PM

I only caught the end of Oprah, too, but she was talking to Dr. Christiane Northrup, who has written Our Bodies, Our Selves, and The Wisdom of Menopause. Both are classics in women's health.

I read Our Bodies, Our Selves a few years back and it was a little too New Age-y for me. I think I may check out The Wisdom of Menopause, though, since that's where I'm at now.
Unread 01-17-2008, 10:58 PM

Let me know how you like the book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2008, 11:17 PM

It's funny how you and I went thru the same things the back ache, the Serous drainage, They gave me an Antibiotic too just in case but said drainage is very normal I have much less now too. due to the antibiotic I got a vaginal infection not up inside but just down there on the outside so they prescribed me a cream too. It feels so good to hear this is all normal. I also got a bladder infection from the cath, so I was on antibiotics twice.
Unread 01-18-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llo3
Although I have been reading everyone's posts and found all the information very helpful, (a big thank you to all), this is my first attempt at posting a question and I hope I get it right...
I had a Abd. Hyst. on Dec 19. I was able to keep my ovaries but he said he only took PART of my cervix as I had too much scar tissue from a previous C-section and he didn't want to risk getting too close to my bladder to remove the whole cervix? Does that make sense to anyone.. How can he only take part of my cervix? Does that mean I have a cuff or not? I am not even sure what a cuff is? If it weren't for this site I wouldn't even know what any of these terms mean or what questios to even ask. He is very vague and doesn't explain things in any detail. I am due to go to the doc on Monday for my 4 wk check and was wondering what to expect?
Thank you in advance.
]

llo3, glad you finally decided to post, and I think I have at least a partial answer for you.

I had a TAH/BSO on 12/17. Everything was supposed to go, and I thought it had until I went in for my post op examine. There was no discomfort or pain during the examine. After she was finished, she kinda turned her back to me a bit and reviewed my chart, and then turned around to say "well, I've never had this happen before, but we didn't get all of your cervix". She went on to explain that my uterus was enlarged and my cervix was elongated and mis-shapened, but that there is a very small portion of it left. I have a vaginal cuff, but I also have a small thin portion of my cervix left, which will mean I still have to have pap smears. I won't have periods, but I still have to have an examine every year because of the cervical cancer risk. She added that the portion of the cervix that was missed will provide support for the area, and is not necessary a bad thing, but something that had never happened before (leave it to me to be the first ). I healed normally, no complications at all, and I'm back to a full schedule, including running and aerobics.
Unread 01-18-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly88
Mollief- I'm sorry you are having a rough time. I will pray for some joy for you cause it sounds like you could really use a dose.
Have you and your husband ever gone to counseling to discuss things?
Hope your day is brighter today!
Yes, we have done the counseling thing and 2 counselors have thrown up their hands and predict a divorce (they were Christian counselors, too)...I'm trying deperately to hold on to the covenant that I made, and to protect my children (boys, 16 & 13)...it's a mess, but I appreciate your good vibes so much!!!!
M
Unread 01-18-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMDFan
I only caught the end of Oprah, too, but she was talking to Dr. Christiane Northrup, who has written Our Bodies, Our Selves, and The Wisdom of Menopause. Both are classics in women's health.

I read Our Bodies, Our Selves a few years back and it was a little too New Age-y for me. I think I may check out The Wisdom of Menopause, though, since that's where I'm at now.

I read the book before my TAH. It has good points of consideration. The information in the book forced me to evaulate and research the hysterectomy and HRT. I didn't get the feeling that she was a supporter of a hysterectomy. I think she leaned that way yesterday on Oprah. I'm glad I read for the most part. She answered questions that I would have posed to my doctor...and probably was able to get a better understanding.
Unread 01-18-2008, 07:43 AM

suzyq- i am excited about the gym thing! The other good thing is I can do a walk-a way-the pounds dvd (in a somewhat toned down version) when i cant get to gym. I love leslie sansones series, the pilates one i suggested in an earlier post is part of hers.
Annie- yes i do still get soreness around incision- but more like a tenderness.
m- i have anxiety issues also. I was really nervous before the exam. So i just flat out said it when i got there, and when he was about to do internal, i said- is this gonna hurt? he said he would be careful- and he had to do some additional feeling around int there do to the preasure i was experiencing (TMI) and it still didnt hurt at all.

On the calendar note: When i mentioned idea to Dh, he responded (scarcasticaly) "and what... im the only one counting down?" (referring to me) I reminded him, since i made the hotel reservations for the company party (6wk mark) I think the feeling is mutual. I told dr. about the plans and he said a little wine and relaxation for the event- is just what he would have ordered.
Unread 01-18-2008, 09:05 AM

This morning after DH left for work (and by the way, my doc was right, my sleeping has returned to normal with no meds ), I hopped on the treadmill and did 1.2 miles in 22 minutes with a combination of running and walking. I then did some hand held weight work for the biceps and back muscles and a few minutes on the Gazelle for my cool down. I feel really good, although I've not attempted any abdominal work. I called my doc's office this morning and spoke with the nurse to ask if it would be OK if I went to my aerobics class tomorrow morning, rather than waiting until Monday evening. Tomorrow's class is 90 minutes, but it's a combination of dance aerobics (high and low impact) and body sculpting (which is working out with the FitBall, hand weights and some pilates). The nurse said she didn't see a problem and she poked her head into the doctor just to verify. Doc said take it at my own pace and go for it. So tomorrow I'm off to aerobics.

Today I'm meeting DH for lunch, then some shoe shopping and a movie by myself. Then DH & I are going to go to dinner later.

Have a great day ladies~~
Unread 01-18-2008, 09:54 AM

bluewillow- take it slow and have fun! I read its the ab stretching part that is the one to be careful of. I started to do some more hand wgts last night. but how do you do them without contracting your abs? and overhead presses would be reaching/stretching right? any thoughts on which ones to begin with again?

im meeting dh at the gym at 2 then off to do some last shopping before hitting the back to work schedule on monday.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register