Doctors and pain meds | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doctors and pain meds Doctors and pain meds

Unread 12-17-2007, 07:43 AM
Doctors and pain meds

Well, I am out of pain meds and my doctor is out of the office so it looks like I will have to simply tough it out until she gets back. I was told by her nurse that none of the other doctors would be willing to rx anything to someone else's patient because they are worried about addicts. This makes me so angry. I am one week out from a major surgery and they won't do anything about the pain because someone "might" be a junkie. I am tempted to go see my PCP and explain whats been going on and just not deal with ob.gyn's office unless its to get an appointment with her. I also plan on telling her what I think about her staff and the way they treat people.

The worst part is the nurse said she will wait until the doctor comes back to talk about my not eating problems. What the...? I thought it was find of a problem but maybe I was wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Doctors and pain meds

Seeing your general doctor is not a bad idea -- at least you know you will be back on top of your game so to speak.

managing your pain is a major part of the recovery.
if you are in pain -- then your energies are there rather than on healing.

Keep after the GYN office -- explain that you were give 30 pills ( or what ever you were given) and that it is now 10 post-op that is 3 pills a day -- no an addict thing.
Maybe find out who assisted and give them a call to prescribe pain pills -- or their suggestions for managing the pain --

try using Ibuprophen 800 mg and see it that will help control the pain.

Best wishes
Unread 12-17-2007, 08:50 AM
Doctors and pain meds

Well, my PCP is out of the office today as well. Looks like I am not having a lot of luck today.

I called the ob/gyn and they told me I need to go to the ER because I have not been eating. Why I have to go now when it was not a problem an hour prior.

I am just going to give up and try to get some sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Doctors and pain meds

FWIW, here's my experience:

When I was a week post-op, I went back to one of my surgeons (I had both a gyn surgeon and a plastic surgeon because I had a panniculectomy done at the same time) and had a couple of additional staples put in my hip-to-hip incision. I mentioned that I was almost out of pain pills, and he said, "Just take ibuprofen. But go ahead -- take TWO." I couldn't imagine it -- I was still in sooo much pain.

Two days later, I went to my PCP to get a surgical drain removed, and I could barely walk down the hallway. She asked what I was taking for pain, and I said I was out of Vicodin and the surgeon wouldn't prescribe anymore. She got out her pad right then and there and wrote a prescription for me!

Then, she went on to explain what was going on. She said that surgeons don't often handle ongoing pain -- they are there for the immediate post-op stuff and to check your incisions. Often surgeons really prefer it if you DO deal with your primary physician to manage your pain so that there's one doctor who knows everything you're taking and why. And suddenly it made all sorts of sense. Plus, my hospital is 50 miles away, whereas my regular doc is right down the street.

So I would second the idea of trying to see if anyone in your doc's practice would be able to prescribe something to tide you over until your regular doc gets back... or yes, try the ER if all else fails. That's a pretty expensive way to get meds, but if that's what you need, that's what you need.

Yes, it would have helped to know that before surgery -- but then, who knew how much discomfort I would have?

I hope you get some good pain control soon. Gentle to you as you continue to heal.
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Doctors and pain meds

Hey Sarrah,

You poor girl! Oh man! I am having problems with the eating, feeling like crap, one week out, etc, and running into the same junk with the docs. I have pain meds, but they make me nauseated that I can't eat.

My doc told me to alter Motrin and Tylenol every four hours. However, at one week post-op ( I had a TAH), that just doesn't quite cut it, you know?

Hang in there sweets, rest up a little and go back to chewing on them when you've got the OOMPH to do it! I am headed back to the doc today to do a little chewing myself!
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Doctors and pain meds

Call your GP's office again and ask to speak with the nurse practitioner - she should be able to prescribe the pain meds for you, and may also have some insight into your (non)eating issues.
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Doctors and pain meds

Hi Jgtalk,
Where do you live in Michigan?
Debbie in MI
Unread 12-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Doctors and pain meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnlady
Hi Jgtalk,
Where do you live in Michigan?
Debbie in MI
I am in Michigan also. Quite a bit of snow here!
Janelle
Unread 12-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Doctors and pain meds

Oh my word!What an awful experience for you. I am so sorry to hear they are putting you through this. It's just not right. Um, major surgery should be EXPECTED to cause pain!

My doc is wonderful as is his office. They called him on his day off w/ my pharmacy # and he phoned in my 3rd script.

I just cannot believe you would be treated this way. I guess it helps that my surgeon is also my OB/GYN of 12 years, but still......

Hope you get some relief real soon!
Unread 12-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Doctors and pain meds

Hey there,

Did this get resolved?

I didn;t use all my meds, and I am glad because I still need it here and there.

I don;t understand why they wont understand you are in pain.....did you have it lap?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register