my surgery is in 4 days im so scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

my surgery is in 4 days im so scared my surgery is in 4 days im so scared

Unread 12-17-2007, 12:22 PM
my surgery is in 4 days im so scared

well im having my surgery on friday the 21st of dec imhaving a laproscopy/ vaginallly not to sure what that means im only having my uterus taken out and a bladder tuck also but i am so scarec because i have a hard time waking up from the antesia it takes my husband forever to get me awake i also get very sick and dizzy after wards so if any one has any advise please help im so scared to have it done that i have already canceled my last surgury date
thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2007, 01:04 PM

relax, make sure you let you Dr. know all of your concerns I am sure everything will go well. pamper yourself in these next few days.

Deb
LSH 12/20/2007
Unread 12-17-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HysterNurseDeb
relax, make sure you let you Dr. know all of your concerns I am sure everything will go well. pamper yourself in these next few days.

Deb
LSH 12/20/2007
Beauty66508

I fully agree with Deb, also there are medications to help stop you getting sick and dizzy. I didn't know I would get sick from the morphine, I did, I don't know what they put in my IV, but whatever it was helped.

Barri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2007, 05:36 PM

It sounds like you are having a laparoscopically assisted vaginally hysterectomy (LAVH) where the work is done laparoscopically and then the uterus is delivered vaginally.

Before surgery, do let your anetheseologist know how you are affected so that s/he can do his/her best to help you. Usually the anesthesilogist will talk to your in Pre Op prior to moving to the OR.

I did not wake up well after my first laparoscopy and felt very sick to my stomache. I mentioned all of this to the anesthesilogist before my hysterectomy and he was able to give me different medications and I did not wake up sick. I still didn't wake up quickly but that wasn't a problem, I just had more rest that day!

Because of your fears, you may even want to ask if you can speak to the anesthesiologist a few days prior to surgery so you can discuss all of your fears and conerns. And talk to your doctor, too.

I am sendig many best wishes and lots of s to you!
Unread 12-17-2007, 07:28 PM

I am scheduled to have an LSH on the 21st just to remove the uterus. I am getting a little nervous m yslef. Today I found out m y regular doctor hasn't given medical clearance yet and if that doesn't happen soon they might want to cancel the surgery. I really don't want to wait...so I may have to have a stress test tomorrow. Not happy but will do anything to keep from canceling
Unread 12-17-2007, 07:42 PM

Beauty I also have always had issues with waking up I usually go 24 hours. When I had my tubal my DH was tired of dealing with this and he talked to the Doc.....he gave me something before to bring me back faster and something after to deal with nausea it helped. But you know it is a stay in the hospital so don't worry about coming out of a great sleep so fast anyway......relax and discuss this with the anesthesiologist tell them everything you go through and they will figure it out with you
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:34 PM

i just wanted to say thanks to all of you for all your thoughts i have just been so scared but i am definately going to talk to the antesiaolagist forsure to help smooth things out some for me

once again thank all of you so much
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:50 PM

I was terrified before my surgery and cried during my pre-op. My doctor put some notes in my chart about my fears and they took extra-gentle care with me. They gave me something other than morphine since it makes me nauseaus and I did throw up a little but since my stomach was empty is was all liquid so it wasn't so bad. They have options, just make sure you speak up and let them know your concerns.
Unread 12-18-2007, 07:55 AM

It's normal to be frightened; I haven't met anyone on this board who wasn't prior to surgery. My advice is to examine your concerns one at a time. Which are related to the anesthesia? Which are related to surgery in general? Which are related specifically to the surgery you're having -- the meds you'll be on -- your hospital stay -- your recovery? Once I sat down and examined my fears one by one I began to get a handle on them. Before I did that everything jumbled together into one overwhelming, confusing, frightening mass that I felt totally helpless against. After breaking things down none of my fears seemed bigger than I.

You must remember that you have input into what's going to happen on the 21st. Tell your doctor, surgeon, the hospital people you deal with both before and after the operation everything that's bothering you. I had a bad reaction to the morphine drip so I asked for a different pain med; the nurses called my doctor and he authorized a change. If I hadn't said anything I would have been sick during my whole stay.

The best person to know what is right for you is you. When you think about it, you're the one in charge! Good luck, Sweetie. Everyone will be here to help you when you're out of surgery and on the wonderful road to recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register