Painful sex post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Painful sex post-op Painful sex post-op

Unread 12-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Painful sex post-op

Hi All,
I'm three months post total abdominal hysterectomy, and am experiencing very uncomfortable sex. It just really burns inside with intercourse.
I don't want to take oral hormones, and know there are estrogen creams, patches, suppositories, etc, that would help. However, do any of you know of more natural products I might try, before using hormones? I'd like to try that route before going to the estrogen products. If anyone has tried more natural products and found them lacking, I'd like to know that I should just bite the bullet and go with estrogen, too!
Libr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Painful sex post-op

I don't know any natural methods but I use vagifem 2x a week. It is a tiny plant based estrogen pill. No mess, it just absorbes. Also, there is a product on the site called, oh jeez, I can't remember what's it called, but it's a lubricant. Works well. Also, do you think you may have yeast from the antibiotics?
Unread 12-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Painful sex post-op

my dr told me to use replense ( not sure how to spell it ) and it worked great at reilveing the dryness ( burning and stuff)
hugs
lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Painful sex post-op

have you been checked for a yeast or bacterial infection? you might want to get that ruled out first. i had to use over the counter replens for a few weeks when i had what felt like dryness and burning from an infection. it worked really well.
Unread 12-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Painful sex post-op

I am 8+ months out and still have dryness with intercourse. I love to hug and snuggle but it is a pain to actually have sex. It scares me that my significant other is not happy (although he doesn't say so) but I can't help it. The desire is lacking - not gone but nothing like it was and I think it may have a lot to do with it being so hard to get any moisture down there. A couple of you mentioned replense (sp)? What is it and where do you get it?
Unread 12-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Painful sex post-op

You can get Replense at the grocery store. It is by the prophylactics (condoms) There are other kinds out there as well. Experiment and find the one you like the best. Stay with a water based product. There also make lubricants that can help desensitize the area if that is a problem but talk to your doctor first.
Unread 12-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Painful sex post-op

Thanks for the help. I don't see any sense in going on hormones just for that - I am hoping it will fix itself in time.
Unread 12-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Painful sex post-op

ask your Doctor about vagifem. It's a tiny pill that you insert into the vag 2x a week. It is a plant based estrogen. Works well.
Unread 12-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Painful sex post-op

I would shy away from the estrogen for that problem. I have heard that Liquibeads by KY Lubricate is very helpful. Should be worth a try. Can be purchased over the counter by the feminine products. Good Luck!
Unread 12-28-2007, 09:31 PM
low estrogen levels can contribute to painful sex

I've been having the same problems, and in my search for answers, I came across the following information. Now I want to preface the information as saying, read, research it, and form your own opinion, but I found it makes sense in relation to the painful skin/irriation around the vagina, the painful sex, vaginal atrophy, etc. that I'm dealing with. Also, I am on a low dose of estrogen at my request, but I know from my symptoms, I need a larger doge. Currently I am using Biest in cream form.

Low estrogen:
Low estrogen starves genitourinary tissues, leading to fragility, dryness and reduced resistance to infection. This would show up as pain or even bleeding with intercourse, excessive vaginal tightness, failure of vaginal incisions to heal, vaginal or labial itching and pain (especially upon washing with soaps), multiple vaginal infections like yeast or repeated urinary tract infections, sensations of urinary tract infection without bacterial growth, and weakening of genitourinary tissues leading to incontinence (involuntary leaking of urine, especially with "urge," laughing or sneezing) or prolapse ("falling").

Vaginal atrophy makes sex difficult or impossible, due to lack of lubrication and stretch—key elements of arousal and response, not just comfort. Tissues may tear and bleed. Damage as well as the loss of normal cleansing by vaginal secretions opens the way for infections and those infections are much more difficult to treat. Labial irritation from washing with even mild soaps and extreme itching are other aggravations of estrogen-starved genital tissues, and affect about 30% of women who do not supplement postmenopausal hormone levels.

Urinary tract tissues react similarly to estrogen deprivation. Infections are more common and harder to treat. Incontinence, often thought to be an inevitable part of aging, is in fact often due to loss of urinary tract muscle tone in response to low estrogen levels. The urinary tract is so susceptible to estrogen starvation that even the muscles that support the bladder can weaken when levels are too low too long.

I hope this information begins to help shed some light on this new course we are all on. Hugs to all, and hope your healing goes well.

Happy New Year,
Amy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register